WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A D at my range, --ABSOLUTE-- stupidity

Boolit Master

A D at my range, --ABSOLUTE-- stupidity

yes that's correct, ABSOLUTE stupidity.

Julie and I were enjoying doing nothing a few afternoons ago when the scanner gave a call (( accidental shooting )) my ears perked up and and he called out my area, I said Hm, then he said the name of the road it happened on and I new it was my range 10 miles away.

As I continued to listen: it went like this, older guy in his late 40,s shot himself in the hand. No cell coverage right at the range, (dirt road and all ) and they didn't know they could hook up 800 feet up the road. So these guys called from the road and said he was bandaged up and they were going to meet the Para Medics at the sport shop in Town.

The Para medics called for a Life flight to meet them at our local L Z no Airport, just a clearing. We have an airport but out here it's like you go to the closest place you can land the Bird. So off he went to Maine Medical on his 12 to 15,000 $$$ Helicopter ride.

Now here is thew story:

This guy was shooting with some friends, standing at the bench he loaded his 1911 45 ACP turned on his Lazer light, and with his his finger on the trigger proceeded to wave the little red dot across his left palm, he proceeded to pull the trigger sending a 230 gr. ball Ammo 45 through the lower portion of his left palm, and through the top of the bench.

Brain fade ?? dumb ?? stupid ?? not sure what went through his mind but the slug went through his hand.

I went to the seen the next day and the bullet hit the bench at a 45* angle,
    so the pistol was not even pointed down range.

I new this would happen eventually from all the ignorant gun owners that I have seen shooting. I try very hard to educate everyone I can, some listen and some do not. Most think they know everything that is to be known.

What a shame.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master
    Stupidity should be painful. In this case, it is.

This is the reason I go to my range EARLY Sunday morning before the fools wake up from their Saturday night hangover.

Love Life
    Pain retains.

Boolit Master

"older guy in his late 40's"? Am I an older guy now?? I thought older guys were 60+!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    "older guy in his late 40's"? Am I an older guy now?? I thought older guys were 60+!
    Hey watchit fella!!! I aint no older guy. Everyone knows that older guys are over a hunert.

Love Life
    I always figured older guys were those guys older than 30. Geez, starting to smell like brute aftershave in here!

Moderator Emeritus

I always say I'm an old man (now at 49). I will not speak for anyone else.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

There is an over abundance of Darwin Awards that haven't been handed out. Society has been protecting the stupid for far to long. It's time to start handing them out again.

Boolit Master

at least the doofus did it to himself, and did not shoot an innocent bystander.

I am thinking the dumazz will now file suit against the gun manufacturer because they didn't tell him not to check his red dot by running his hand across the muzzle with a round in the chamber and finger on the trigger.......Just watch.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah but Mr. Wolf, you didn't say . . . Is the bench alright?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Hopefully that bench is well stained. Would make a good intro for an impromptu safety lesson if the need arises....
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master

"There are no useless members of society, especially when they can be made to serve as bad examples for everyone else."

I still haven't embraced "old" as a concept. It all depends on the application.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Boolit Master

Paint a yellow outline of the hand on the bullet hole. And another hand adjacent.
    Signage should read "This is your hand. This is a hand on .45's ."

Quote Originally Posted by Phineas Bluster View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know....

How close did the bullet hit to the spot projected by the laser?

PB
    I don't care who you are (except the idiot), but that's funny right there.

Money says he'll pepper spray himself next week examining the nozzle.

Perma-Banned

I find it interesting that many people are killed or injured everyday in all manner of accidents, from automobiles, to motorcycles, to airplanes, to tractor trailers, to tractors, and most anything that you can imagine. People kill themselves, family members or entire families, bystanders and all manner of folks. And, all of these happen due to someone failing at one of the safety rules that is imperative to safe operation of the respective equipment...yet seldom do I hear anyone call the victims of these accidents idiots, dumbazz's, morons or any other derogatory name.

Yet, only idiots, dumbazz's, morons and the like have firearms accidents.

How is a firearm accident any different than other accidents?

A person that runs themself over with there car is an idiot. You get hit by someone being and idiot, then you are a victim and in my eyes not likely to be called an idiot by me. There's the difference for me.

Btw, the word accident implies that nothing could be done to avoid it. There is always something that could be done, but people like to shift blame so it is an "accident".

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieDave007 View Post

Btw, the word accident implies that nothing could be done to avoid it. There is always something that could be done, but people like to shift blame so it is an "accident".
    By this standard...NO one should ever be injured or killed, because there is always something that could be done to prevent it...so, what word should we apply to all of these events that happen EVERY day that result in injury and death.

Just like falling when you were riding your bike...you should have had complete control...but you didn't.

I honestly don't care but it shouldn't be something that naturally people go "Oh well" and then go about their business. The use of that word has made it so the general public can discard the either stupidity or tragedy that has happened and not learn from it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast