Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Load chart

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Load chart

May be worth a sticky status.

https://goexpowder.com/resources/load-charts/
    Last edited by waksupi; 09-14-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Sticky status. I think so too.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    In the carts, is the "measure" size they refer to GRAINS..............or what?

I want to study up on BP's as I have some and want to start messing around with them.

banger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    In the carts, is the "measure" size they refer to GRAINS..............or what?

I want to study up on BP's as I have some and want to start messing around with them.

banger
    Oh no not another "weight by volume" confusion
    If you are referring to the attached screen shot…. yes it is roughly grains for blackpowder or bp equivalent volume for subs like Pyrodregs. I don't imagine it would be grams or CCs.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Keep in mind, these are just safe starting loads, not necessarily what will shoot best in a particular firearm.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Good reference material. Thank you for sharing. Make it a sticky.
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.

Boolit Master

Good information. I was somewhat surprised to see that for BPCR for the 45-70 that they are recommending F in lieu of FF. I thought that FF was more or less the standard for the 45-70. I am probably showing my lack of experience with BPCR for the 45-70. I do think this info qualifies for being a sticky.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Those rifle loads (I shoot only 58 caliber) would only be starting/plinking/target loads. My hunting loads are all much higher charges, i.e. "off the chart". I don't think it is "sticky worthy". Also the weights on the 36 & 44 cal revolver balls is way off too.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with Waksupi that this is a very good thing to have placed here as a sticky. Goex has always been the powder that all others have been compared to.

Pete

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    Those rifle loads (I shoot only 58 caliber) would only be starting/plinking/target loads. My hunting loads are all much higher charges, i.e. "off the chart". I don't think it is "sticky worthy". Also the weights on the 36 & 44 cal revolver balls is way off too.
    Understandable. They simply didn't split the category between thick wall rifle conical shooters and original type musket Minié shooters. They may not have had the data for both or felt this would keep those who can't read out of trouble. They simply went with lowest common denominator. Otherwise some chucklehead would cram 180 gr of BP or volume equivalent of 777 under a Minié in a thin wall musket and touch it off. There is plenty of data out there that does include the heavy charge, large bore stuff for those so inclined. Some of that also includes pressure data. The Lyman Black Powder Handbook comes to mind and does show fairly complete data for heavy barreled 58 cal shooters for conicals up to 560 gr over charges up to 140 gr FF.

4 on 6,
    I started out with the old Lyman BP Handbook. I appreciate your comments.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Newbies have to start somewhere, and if this helps any one, it is well worth publishing. I know that my loads are off the charts too, but I would never tell a first timer to use some of them, as it is hard to go out to the other end of the field and pick up their arm and bring it back for them to try and get it right the next time.
    I would have liked to have something like this back in 1970 when I started.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Mold
    Wow, even though it's just starter load hints you still get a mountain of good information. Great addition and heck yeah, sticky away.

I vote good for sticky, many of us have been shooting these things for years . But it still nice to be able to look at the data once and a while. No different than surfing a loading manual.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

Wow I'm glad this one is a sticky,saved me from having to research this information.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Mold
    my pedersoli 10 gauge sxs proof tested for 109 grains of 2f black powder . I fired mine several times with 12 OO buckshot with 130 gr. GOEX black powder. I wouldn't recommend doing it .The shotgun handles it well , but it's a little hard on the shoulder.

Sharpsman
    Measure setting?? That doesn't mean diddly-squat!!

Without barrel length this is erroneous information.

The davenport formula is how you find your maximum load.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Goex has always been the powder that all others have been compared to.
    Pete, obviously you are not a serious BP shooter. Please support your statement with details.

I'm a BPCR shooter and go through a minimum of a 25 lb case annually. In inventory are several grades of each: DuPont - Goex - KIK - Swiss - Skirmish - Schuetzen - Diamondback and Meteor which was made by Curtis's & Harvey and imported through Noble's CIL subsidary in Canada and sold by DuPont salesmen. I have studied and tested each powder in inventory for sieve ratios - density - fouling and velocity except the Diamondback which is made from bamboo wood in Brazil and is a weak - dirty powder

As for the BP loading chart that waksupi posted - it has been on the Goex website since Hodgdon purchased Goex on January 2, 2009 and ... IT IS NOT GOEX POWDER LOADING DATA
    * In the 1970's, Hodgdon sold black powder "Made in Great Britain"
    * The powder was made in Ardeer, Scotland at the Noble ICI powder plant
    * Noble had previously bought out Curtis's & Harvey
    * The Hodgdon black powder labeled cans was either left over or the same process formulation of Curtis's & Harvey powder - deemed to be the best powder manufactured in current times
    * The loading chart on the Goex website is ... loading data TESTED by Curtis's & Harvey with their powder before they were purchased by Noble... that Hodgdon was given by Noble Industries when they were selling the BP "Made in Great Britain" in the'70's that was really C&H powder.
    I verified this to be a C&H powder chart with a personal friend who tested all Goex powders before Goex was bought out. Bill, chuckled when he said 'Goex at the Minden, LA plant didn't have a clue for many of the calibers on the chart let alone the charges'

And yes, the chart should be a Sticky because there is no other black powder charge chart in existence for the extensively complete calibers

And if one had their smart socks on - download the charts to your computer. If Hodgdon ever decides to take it off the website ... GONE!
    Last edited by John Boy; 03-04-2016 at 01:28 AM.
    Regards
    John

Banned

that overall goex chart is arguably better than nothing, but there are so many holes in it for muzzleloaders that it's pretty much outdated. most notably, the use of 3f for .50 caliber and beyond. bp cartridge doesn't really need a load chart, either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast