MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: possible Casting demo at Hutchinson Minnesota gunshow Sept 2015

Moderator Emeritus

possible Casting demo at Hutchinson Minnesota gunshow Sept 2015

While at the show this weekend, I talked to the promoter about setting up and casting boolits at next years gunshow. He seemed to like the idea initially, so I went on to mention the potential hazards and safety issues and ventilation, I'd need to be setup next to a open door with a fan (as there is no windows) and also for him to ask for permission from the County Fair commisson, who owns the building and grounds, for liability and whatever other reasons.

What do you all think of that ?
    was that a foolish thing to offer to do ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Love Life
    I would put a fence barrier about 3 -4 foot away from your casting table to keep people at bay. They can see what needs to be seen from there without causing ham to themselves or you.

Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I mentioned a velvet rope type barrier...we get some kids at the show.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master

My first thought is that it sounds like a great idea. Then I start thinking about the problems associated with a casting demonstration where there are a lot of people that are miss informed. Someone will probably claim that you are poisoning everyone with your "lead vapor". The truth that it is not possible at barely melting temps is irrelevant to them.

How about a looped demonstration video on a computer screen with the end products for sale?

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Moderator Emeritus

a video loop is an idea, but then there I sit doing nothing, I would sure prefer to be "doing" something. Part of the reason I even thought of doing this was that I'm at this show all day, two days in a row and I get bored easy and wish I was doing something
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master

It's worth a shot to see how it goes. If there is a problem, you can always shut it down. You might figure a way to move the pot of molten lead against the wall so that it can cool off and be out of reach of anyone.

The roped off border it a good idea.

The only problem I can see with that though is when the show starts to get crowded, the ropes and poles can get pushed over.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Grand Master

Make or buy a stand Lee makes one and I believe Harbor frieght has them as grinder stands, Mount your lubrizier on it and lube and size bullets off to the side of the looped video playing. Cast enough boolets ahead for the weekends sizing and run. No issues with hot metals fumes smokes or such this way. You probably should also check with fire marshall as to whats allowed in a building open to public and fire codes. Could be alot of hoops to jump thru for the casting demonstration.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    snip...
    You probably should also check with fire marshall as to whats allowed in a building open to public and fire codes. Could be alot of hoops to jump thru for the casting demonstration.
    Good point.
    Also, since I would be setup near one of the doors...with a fan...possibly blocking access to that doorway for exit purposes.

This arena type expo building has to large doors for machinery access, large enough for a combine...and 4 small doors, one in each corner...then 2 sets of double doors in the middle of the south wall for access to offices and bathrooms.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~