Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 1860 Army conical ?

Boolit Mold

1860 Army conical ?

Hello, Im new to this forum, and BP. Accuired a old 1977 DGG 1860 Army, pretty happy with her, and she shoots straight, but wanted to try some conicals.
    Does anyone have .454 that will fit off the shelf? Any insight on this particular revolver?
    Thanks in advance.
    Posted in hunting CB as well, sorry.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVmYRePzoOQ

There's a video of Mike Believeu comparing boolits.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Mold
    Got some samples on order from Kaido, was wondering if there were any other home casters around? Thank you for the reply.

Boolit Master

Your 1860, will shave a RB at .454. As the solidity of the casting increases, I reccomend .452. I prefer the Lee 200gn .45 mold for this. It is a RNFP at 200gns. With BP lube, it should work fairly well with effort. I use that in my conversion in .45 Schofield. 30gns of 3f the .452 RNFP, and with effort it will be good to go I suspect. Use soft lead for that, and it will seat base first with effort. I suspect RBs will do what you are looking for though.

I only shoot .451 round balls in my 1860 Pietta but it will occasionally shave them as well. I put an ever-so-slight chamfer on my chamber mouths so the balls will swage instead of shave. Works great, but do so very sparingly.

It is important to use as close to pure lead as possible or it gets hard to ram them home.

I posted mainly to say that some guns will vary in chamber size slightly so some experimentation may be necessary.

In case you're interested I also make cork gasket material wads (using a sized .45 LC case, sharpened) and put the lube between the wad and the ball. My lube is a mixture of beeswax, crisco and a little olive oil. No leading and no build up of fouling, although I find it a little tiring to shoot more than 4 or 5 cylinders full at one time.

Good luck and have fun, the 1860 is a real cool experience to shoot!
    And just for your info... casting with a single cavity is about as close as you can get to zero production, while still having some production. -- Whitespider