RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: 45-70

Boolit Master

45-70

I got the mold running for my 405 gr. Lee bullet and have been doing some experimenting with a Handi in this caliber. Well my initial loading was with 13 gr Unique which is a little more than a high end 44 Mag load. Recoil was mild, pretty accurate, but got a little leading right in front of the chamber. I know this is a Trapdoor load, but wanted a starting point. Well last night I loaded up some with Varget data. 47 gr. WOW! Big difference! No leading at all, still pretty accurate, quite an increase in recoil though. It was brisk! I came home and promptly loaded 10 more with50 gr. Varget. I can't wait to shoot them! I am gonna put them over the Chrono hopefully tonight.

45-70

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    I got the mold running for my 405 gr. Lee bullet and have been doing some experimenting with a Handi in this caliber. Well my initial loading was with 13 gr Unique which is a little more than a high end 44 Mag load. Recoil was mild, pretty accurate, but got a little leading right in front of the chamber. I know this is a Trapdoor load, but wanted a starting point. Well last night I loaded up some with Varget data. 47 gr. WOW! Big difference! No leading at all, still pretty accurate, quite an increase in recoil though. It was brisk! I came home and promptly loaded 10 more with50 gr. Varget. I can't wait to shoot them! I am gonna put them over the Chrono hopefully tonight.
    Hi,
    I am not familiar with varget but I have been trying to bench my 45-70 for groups
    (see the FDH#2 thread in Single Shot Guns).
    So far I have been using IMR 4198 and have seen some success. However I still need to try some different powders and try .459 sized bullets.
    Are you benching your rifle and what kind of groups at what range?
    I guess that I can go to considerably slower powders and am trying to decide how far I want to go next.

John

Boolit Master

I did bench the groups when I was shooting the Unique loads, but last night it was off my truck door at a target stapled to a tree.

Boolit Master
    Mine (H&R BC) shoots about 3 moa off the bench on 21 grains of SR4759 and a 459124 WW boolit (weighs about 385 out of the mold) lubed with Emmert's and seated to the rifling. Slight leading can be wiped out with a dry patch. Lots of unburnt powder left behind.
    This is my first load so there is a lot of experimenting in my future. I plan to bump the velocity up to see if the groups get tighter. Also want to try 4198 next week.

I run IMR4198 in my Guide Gun. I size to .459. IMR4198 is very lead friendly.

I'm also starting to run Varget. Definately top performance and increases recoil by a lot.

Varget is a great powder. I run it in 223, 375 H&H, and 45/70. I run Fed LRM Match primers in my 45/70.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range.

Powder-Bullet

I load 40.0 grains of RL7, and put a Lyman 405 on top of it. For my lube I use the Carnuba Red mix. It is suppose to be 1/2 Carnuba Red and 1/2 I have no idea. After every thirty or fourty shots I need to run 3 or 4 patches through my Sharp's 45-70. No real leading problems to speak of. Tom.
    WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Boolit Master

I have run Varget through .223, .243, .308. It is pretty nice through the 45-70. I have 3 pounds of 2400, also have 3031, 4064, 4350, 4895. I may try some jacketed data for the cast I shoot. I like the Handi and would like to work up a good load in it.

Moderator Emeritus

Try a few 3031 loads. It works great in my 45-70s.

I use 45grn of 3031 w/405 cast and that has worked for me pretty good.
    Although, I'm just too lazy and haven't put it across the chrony.
    Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

USAF AMMO Retired!

Boolit Master

Ran 10 rds at 50 gr. Varget last night. Chronoed 4 of them. Average was 1590 out of the 4. Not bad. Next is the bench and off the bags, which I don't really look forward to. This thing has some recoil with 50 gr. Varget!!! MGD45 shot a 4X4 post that he leaned against a pole. The 4X4 did not move, so he thought he had missed it. He hit it dead on and the slug went about a foot into the red clay behind it!

Le Loup Solitaire

45-70

I've been using 47 grains of 3031 with Lyman #457124, a 405 grain RN. It casts at .458 so have been shooting them lubed and unsized in my Win Hi-wall. Recoil is ok and grouping at 100 yards is usually 4 inches (if the wind is not up). I tilt the barrel up before each shot to keep the powder in the same position.

Boolit Master
    5744 for low recoil loads, RL7 for high vel.

How do smokeless loads compare to bp accuracy wise? Both at 100 yards and 500 yards? I keep thinking about an encore rifle with a 45/70 barrel and several others.

Thanks,

Crabo

My Guide Gun shoots MOA out to 250y all day long with smokeless. Never shot BP but from what I've read, BP takes more care and attention than smokeless.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master
    I know all the "experts" claim better accuracy with BP over smokeless but I hate messing with BP and refuse to use it. Using both 350 & 500 gr. cast bullets and 4198, RL7, and AA5744 my Buffalo Classic (and my wife's, also) we get MOA all the way to as far as we can shoot. On a good day both of our rifles easily shoot around 5 in. groups on our 550 yd. silhouettes. We've had several especially good days when we have shot into 6 inch groups at 876 yds. In my humble opinion I think that's fantastic and I doubt anyone can better that by using BP. I read Venturino's articles all the time and have even e-mailed him on this subject. His expensive Sharps won't shoot that good with anything so why should I bother with BP?

Boolit Grand Master

I've had excellent results with 57.0 W748 in my Marlin SS GG with the RCBS
    405 or either Rem or Speer 405 j-bullets. This is trapdoor pressure, about
    1750 fps in my GG. Use a mag primer and moderate crimp with Lee FC die.
    This load shoots cloverleafs at 100 with my Roller.

I've not found an decent loads for my Lee 405.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Both of my NEF 45-70 barrels much prefer the Lee 450 vs the 405. The Lee 500 or Lyman 500 is second for both barrels.