RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Shotgun case-a-sauras

Boolit Buddy

Shotgun case-a-sauras

I was going through some old shotgun shells I got at an auction, and came across an 8 ga shell. Thought I would share a pic of this shoulder stomper. That's a 12 ga beside it for comparison.

Boolit Master

I remember seeing two punt guns on display at the museum in Shelburne VT when I was a kid. Much too big to be fired from the shoulder, they were designed for attachment to a boat. The game plan called for waiting for the ducks to land on the water, and then line up as many as possible. One of them was 8ga IIRC.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Is that 12ga fully plastic?

Thanks....never seen one before.

Boolit Grand Master

Another use of these big shotguns was foundries, 4 and 8 bores were used to knock slag from spouts overhead. I read this somewhere years ago.

Boolit Master

Wow. You're still shooting Activ hulls. Neat.

http://www.remington.com/products/am...er-system.aspx

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Is that 12ga fully plastic?
    Yes, as Latch said they were called Activ. They came out in the 70's and hung around a while, but not too long IIRC.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    Yes, as Latch said they were called Activ. They came out in the 70's and hung around a while, but not too long IIRC.
    I remember buying them as late as the early 90's. I still have a handful, but not enough to be useful for anything. They were red and brown for 12-gauge; I think the browns were heavier loads. I also had a few turkey loads that were 12-gauge Activs.

In Remembrance

If anybody on here, besides me, remembers watching the United States Steel Hour on TV back in the `60`s you saw what a slag blow hole looked like when it was fired at with an 8 ga. It was at the start of the program just after the announcer said" this is the US Steel Hou", then you see a steel furnace from the side and suddenly there is a large shower of sparks from the spout area. This is the plug in the spout being blasted out so the steel can be poured out. I worked for 10 yrs. in an grey iron foundry in the `70`s. We used a 10' long 3/8" dia. iron pipe filled with magnesium rods then connected to a oxygen line with a gate valve and quick connector. Finally when the flame resistent clad operator was ready the end of the lance was ignited and was thrust into the frozen pour hole to burn a passage thru.Robert

Shotgun case-a-sauras

They actually did make hand held guns in 8 and 4 gauge. The only one I believe was exclusive to boat guns was the 2 gauge.

http://youtu.be/8uJouw9uh84

Boolit Buddy
    Yea the activ is cool. I also have the clear red ones but can't remember name off hand. I don't shoot em anymore...just decorations now. I have about 50 activs left.

Boolit Master
    I have had an 8 bore shotgun in my hands. It had a smooth and a rifled barrel. The engraving on this gun was exquisite. To bad I didn't have $35,000 at the time or now.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Another use of these big shotguns was foundries, 4 and 8 bores were used to knock slag from spouts overhead. I read this somewhere years ago.
    You nailed it. I have a handful or Remington 8 ga. shells and that's exactly where they came from. Loaded into a short , squat , industrial shotgun, that was set on the floor of a chimney, a lanyard was pulled remotely firing the round to blast loose built up chimney crud. Mine even say "industrial" on them and have the double brass head.
    I had forgotten all about them. A ten gauge shell slips neatly inside the 8 gauge.
    Gary

My great uncle used to use an 8 ga. to hunt fox. He had 6 dogs to run the foxes and he could kill the fox running ahead of the dogs with that old blunder gun. Boy didn't it roar when he pulled the trigger. I always wanted to shoot it but dad would not let me, I was about 9 yrs old at the time.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    8 gauges are still used for de slagging coal fired boilers in some power plants. The "gun" weighs around 50 pounds and is hung in a port. In one of our plants the winchester shells are loaded with 2 shot. At the much smaller plant I work at now, they use 12 gauges with 8 shot - shorter distance across boiler. Shooting the boilers is done at the start of every outage.
    Last edited by bassnbuck; 09-16-2014 at 10:45 AM. Reason: mistake,poor memory.

Boolit Master

The industrial gun is also called a "kiln gun". In the movie "Appaloosa" Viggo Mortensen's character carries a double 8ga in every scene, only puts it down once.
    BDGR

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterbob View Post
    Yea the activ is cool. I also have the clear red ones but can't remember name off hand. I don't shoot em anymore...just decorations now. I have about 50 activs left.
    I was really disappointed with the Activ™ shells I bought when they came out. They were supposed to be great for reloading, but the batch I got ended up with several splitting the first (factory) firing. Not much of a bargain and I abandoned them quickly!

I think the transparent ones were called "Diana" or some such. I liked them for teaching firearms safety because I could show students what was inside a loaded shell.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post

I think the transparent ones were called "Diana" or some such. I liked them for teaching firearms safety because I could show students what was inside a loaded shell.

Froggie
    If you're talking about the "Wanda", I believe that those were a different company.

I also believe that Herters dabbled in th plastic Shotshells as well. I would not be surprised if Wanda was making them.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master

GFrog, sorry to hear your problem with Activ hulls. I collected many from the trap range when the first came out that were once fired. I ordered the wads and reloaded them many times. When I found that started to split, I would load them for the field and let them go one more time. I still have some around but the print is almost gone.

Maybe you got a bad batch or the first ones were too thin. I would hope that Activ would have made it right...that's how they learn and grow.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Master

You guys need to read through Ed Hubel's thread...I believe he loads those to shoot rabbits!!!
    Scroll down and eyeball a couple of 8 ga doubles.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Tester/page26