RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reactive filler

Got to play with the concept today in the 375 H&H. 70gr. AA3100 + .5cc WC857 makes a good compressed load for the paper patched 285gr. Lyman 9.3mm boolit. Shot into 1 - 1.5 MOA all the way out to 385M (would have gone further but ran out of ammo) , and runs just shy of 2500 fps. I'd say we've got a pretty good elk load with this one.

So far this bit of using slow ball powder as filler has worked in everything I have tried it in, giving very good accuracy with decently high speeds. Has anybody besides Geargnasher tried it yet? Just wondering if some more results and experiences are out there.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    No but I tried a mere 36 grns ww 785 with 150's in my 30-30 today with a bit of dacron in the neck for a compressed load.
    pretty accurate considering the conditions but had trouble with unburnt powder leaving grannual marks on fired cases if I didn't wipe between shots.
    Still promising thou.Maybe a kicker charge of bullesye or fast pstol powder may help but wouldn't know where to begin about such duplexing with smokeless.
    or how to work up a load
    Barra

Boolit Master
    Well I tired it out with my thuddy thuddy.
    Can't get a 100% load to burn clean in my gun.
    I added 4 grns ww785 on top of 32 grns 2206h which is a max loading for this powder over a 150 gn pp boolit.
    I have admit it didn't shoot as accurate as 31 grns with a bit of dacron for me but it burnt clean.
    usually if I go above 31 32 grns of this in my gun I get some powder granules of bunrt powder in the bore.
    May try some with 2208 varget and see if that works.
    It may be enough to get my pressures up to burnt clean.
    I figure that the added slow powder would not generate anymore pressure than the fast powder of the full load and maybe a bit less if lucky while still filling the case.
    Then again I may be wrong.
    The loads I used even nearly flattened the Remington primers that I use.
    Ain't seen that in a long time.
    Recoil and boom was noticeably more.
    I seem to have one of the loudest guns on the range.
    Wonder if it is because the bullet is sealed behind all that pressure till it hits the muzzle and its only going like 2000 fps.The barrel is about 20 " long.
    Maybe its the bit of smoke cloud of patch material that scares people a bit and the waft of white patch bits floating down afterwards.

Barra
    General consensus is I'm crazy doing this patch malarkey cos it don't work and wrecks guns.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 02-23-2015 at 07:45 PM.