Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convince me to put a hole in my fingernail, ouch!

Banned

Convince me to put a hole in my fingernail, ouch!

Last night I hit my left index finger with a hammer.
    I have herd that using a small drill bit or a red hot needle to relieve the pressure from the swelling is an instant relief from the pressure. The full length of the finger is really swollen and hurts just to move the hand.

Boolit Master

The longer you wait the less relief you will get. I use a small drill bit and turn it with my fingers. You don't want the blood to clot that's why the quicker the better. Go for it!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

Short of seeing a Dr. about your index finger (poss fracture) using a straightened paper clip and heating it to red hot then applying it to the nail thus "drilling" through the nail WILL relieve any built up pressure provided you actually penetrate the entire thickness of the nail. I've done it a couple of times myself and the relief is immediate as is the expulsion of built up blood under the nail.

A red hot finish nail always fixed jobsite mistakes.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Master

Red hot paper clip as mentioned. Reassure will be relieved and will feel weird but better. Wear eye protection lol. It will squirt!

Boolit Master
    Many years back I did layout work on big tube sheets for heat exchangers, required center punching hundreds of drilled hole locations.

Put holes in my finger nails a few times when I hit them with the hammer, the process works, some times the finger nail would die and fall off but a new one would grow back.

After serving in the military I went to college while still doing layout work at night.

Boolit Master
    Recently, a thumb took a very heavy whack to the point that the nail will be lost. The throbbing was intolerable till the pressure was relived with a small drill bit. Had to do it the next day, as well.

Make sure to apply pressure, in various places about the puncture, to purge as much blood as possible.

Been there done that, both foot and hand.

I watched my dad 2:00 am one morning with a new hacksaw blade try to cut through the nail to relieve the pressure. That was a long hard painful way of doing it. Somewhere along the line someone said something about a hot nail or paper clip so the next time it happened to me I got to watch him carefully heat up a paper clip in needle nose pliers, adjust the position (Don't want to go too deep) then turn, grab my hand and plunged the hot metal into my nail.

No pain, no felt heat, I put blood on the ceiling (old house, 8.5 foot ceilings) takes 1/2 second to do, and within 30 seconds the pain is gone.

The relief is immeasurable.

Don't wait, the sooner you get to it the less blood is trapped, the less mess there is, the sooner the pain is gone.

Finger will still be sore, you smacked it with a hammer, but that pounding throbbing ungodly pain will be gone.

Boolit Master

Years ago I smashed two fingertips on my left hand. Foreman took me to E-room at local hospital. Old Doctor there looked at it and asked me if i wanted to get it fixed the approved medical way or get it fixed quickly and relatively painlessly. I asked what the approved medical way was and he pulled out what looked like a Yankee push drill and operated the same way. I could only imagine how much it would hurt to drill through the nail in multiple strokes, so I asked him what the other way was. He got his lighter out of his shirt pocket and a pre-bent paper clip out of his desk drawer. He had the foreman hold my hand flat and he heated the paper clip and poked it through each nail. As soon as it went through it stung a little like a sweat bee sting but after that the relief was tremendous. It was over with in about 10 seconds. The blood spurted out of each finger all the way across the desk as the pressure was relieved. Two band aids and back to work.

Secret is to get whatever you use red hot so it goes through quickly and cauterizes the wound.

Boolit Buddy
    Do it now! Life will be much better. There is another alternative. I used to work with a guy who smashed his nails frequently. One day after such an incident I watched him reach around and pull his Case folding knife out and ram it under his fingernail to relieve the pressure. I almost puked when I saw it. The drill or hot wire is much more comfortable.
    -William

"How air ye fixed fer meat, Del?" --John Johnson Crow Killer, The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson

My Feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=stonecrusher

Banned

I must have went too deep on the one I did. It hurt worse than hitting the finger with the hammer. Not me, never again. I'll go to the Doc and have them numb it and them do it.

Do it. Now. Get that pressure out of there!
    I have used a tiny twist drill, but the paper clip deal works just as well.
    As others have said, the longer you wait, the less the relief will be.

Banned
    I used a red hot paper clip, I think it cauterized the blood so I finished it off with a 1/16" drill bit.
    Finger feels better but still hurts.

Memo to self;
    DO NOT HIT FINGER WITH HAMMER..

Good job. You have now been promoted to shadetree medic.
    A buddy of mine got in a boat load of trouble at his last job. He smashed his finger resulting in the same situation. He proceeded to chuck up a tiny twist drill in a drill press and you guessed it, drilled his nail that way. The real reason he got in trouble was in the middle of the process, the safety supervisor walked by and saw this idiot going at it.
    Remember, no has yet to corner the market on stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pb2au View Post
    Good job. You have now been promoted to shadetree medic.
    A buddy of mine got in a boat load of trouble at his last job. He smashed his finger resulting in the same situation. He proceeded to chuck up a tiny twist drill in a drill press and you guessed it, drilled his nail that way. The real reason he got in trouble was in the middle of the process, the safety supervisor walked by and saw this idiot going at it.
    Remember, no has yet to corner the market on stupid.
    We had a guy at work that tried the same thing but the drill bit caught and went through the entire thumb. We not only had to get him loose from the drill bit but also had to pick him up off the floor afterwards.

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    If you feel too queasy to do the red hot thing, soaking the finger in ice water until its numb and using a tiny twist drill works pretty good and you don't feel it going through the water softened nail.

Boolit Master
    I had an Army medic do exactly that with a red hot paper clip one time - right in the clinic!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I have used a wire size drill bit. twirled between my thumb and forefinger. The instant the drill bit broke through the nail, blood spurted out like a small geyser, and relief was immediately felt.

Banned
    I got a bit of relief but I'm thinking I may have broke the finger tip bone. Time will tell.
    I had herd about relieving the pressure will help but hadn't done it before.

Thanks, for the promotion.

Boolit Grand Master
    For an interesting pattern on your thumbnail, use a framing hammer next time.

Just kidding, the key to relieving pressure under the fingernail is to do it before the blood clots.

Robert