Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mosin Nagant muzzle break and light reloads questions

Two things I have found that work well for limiting the punishing effects of recoil especally in the mighty Mosins is changing out the stock to something like a Boyd's stock and fitting a good recoil pad to the new stock. I dont suggest adding a muzzle break to the rifle unless you plan on cutting and threading the barrel at that point you might as well change the stock and invest in lots of ear plugs due to the massive muzzle blast now being redirected. I have personally seen more than one clamp on type chase the bullet down range and in one case it took the front sight with it, moments after I told him about seeing one fly off a few months before.

Loading up some lighter loads would also help with not only recoil but the muzzle blast which is something that many new shooters do not enjoy. I've heard of people loading .32 cal pistol bullets over a small charge of powder for a trainer load something like that might be worth looking into and slowly build up to shooting full power loads.
    Last edited by ThaDave; 09-13-2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spell check

Boolit Master
    I fired my 2 m91's yesterday for the first time, used a lead sled for first couple then got brave and fired from my shoulder. i was using factory ammo PPU 150gr bt(reloading stuff is in the mail) it kicked about the same as my 30-30, brake may work for small ones it would be intristing to see of someone does this and tests the before and after

light ball loads with lighter weight bullets in 7.62x54R surplus are much more pleasant to shoot than the heavier ball bullet loads.

I think I've fired surplus with 147gr, 149gr, 174gr, 182gr, 185gr and 203gr - and I'll take the lighter bullet every time.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

I don't recall a lot of difference between 1980s (Russian and Romanian) surplus 147 grain loads, and the 174 grain Silver Bear steel core in my 91/30 (with rubber butt pad). The 203 grain Brown Bear soft points I bought for hunting don't seem to kick much more, though I can feel a difference there. But that video with the muzzle brake makes me wonder if I couldn't build something like that by cutting down an original bayonet -- the spring latch and tight fitting socket, combined with the machined-in-place front sight base should keep everything attached and steady, and "spare" bayonets are going for $15 on eBay with quantity available.

Honestly, I don't know that I actually need a brake -- I fired around 400 rounds of 147 grain Russian surplus through my 91/30 in two days at Appleseed, and only had a little ache in my shoulder at the end -- but it'd be a cool thing to have and test...

I had posted about a brake I bought on Fleabay and added pictures..one thing I forgot to mention is that I have a couple of Mosins with slip on recoil pads and they work much better than the hard rubber "molded" recoil pads that are often sold for Mosins..ugly as sin but cheap and work ok..the molded ones are as hard as can be...The Mosin has a really short stock and it's straight so it kicks hard...One thing I do (old man with arthritis) is to use a removable recoil shoulder pad that slips over my arm and puts a nice cushion on my shoulder..I load down for the Mosins and my 06 and get along just fine..also if you can find them there are milsurp "training" rounds that kick about like a 38 special...they are Bulgarian if I recall...they were easy to find for a long time but have gotten scarce recently as folks bought up so many Mosins..Attachment 116225

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    .also if you can find them there are milsurp "training" rounds that kick about like a 38 special...they are Bulgarian if I recall...they were easy to find for a long time but have gotten scarce recently as folks bought up so many Mosins..Attachment 116225
    It's Czech 46gr No-Recoil Training Ammo.
    http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Czec...u-cz54r-12.htm

Unfortunately, this weekend got away from us so I'm hoping to test out the lander break and the 7.62x25 next weekend.

Boolit Master
    Well took the new mosin(short bubba job i found) and i think its a candidate for a muzzle brake, with a 21in barrel it kicks like a bull.

Long ones kick like a bull too!

Which is why I went to the 30 grain IMR4895 loads.

Boolit Master
    @ Remiel
    You need to try a Polish Circle 11 that is cut to 17 1/2 "
    Even with a Pachmyer Pad, it was a Brute.
    Plus, Guys with 300 Win Mags would move down a few benches from me, because of the muzzle blast and fireball with military ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Long ones kick like a bull too!

Which is why I went to the 30 grain IMR4895 loads.
    That's under what weight bullet/boolit?

Thanks.
    Dave