WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: RPM Threshold

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    Thanks, Andy. The more people speak up the better the statistics for those that have the BS flag in hand.

What powder? 4831?
    VV N120, Blue Dot, and N135 so far.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Kindly show us pictures of the groups (if available) and load data so we may codgitate on it. Thank you.

Larry Gibson
    Well [url=http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=11228here's one [/url]I posted recently. Alright the bullet is only doing 168,000 rpm, but I've had the same performance at around 2400fps but with "slower" powders, principally Blue Dot and N120. The reason why this target is with N320 was that it is what I was loading at the time. I don't use the faster loads due to the increase in barrel heat and expense. If you choose not to believe any statement I make regarding my experiences then you may do so, though why I would make up the above statement is beyond me.

The reason why I responded to statement about maximum rpm limits is because the reasoning seemed a bit sparse. There could be any number of reasons why accuracy suffers at higher velocities, the main one has been shown to be failure of the bullet material to withstand the pressure. Dave Scovill wrote an excellent piece on matching bullet alloy strength to pressure in HandLoader. I've been shooting cast bullets for nearly thirty years and I have encountered all sorts of folk lore about cast bullets and what you cannot do with them. For example: .22 bullets are virtually impossible to cast, cast bullets are no good in a .223 because I'll be cleaning the lead out after each shot, they wont shoot in a fast twist as they will be ripped apart, etc. All of which I (we) know are false but I get lectured on by "experts" quite regularly.

BTW, I do not do extensive group shooting, just enough to determine that the load is worth bothering with, so I don't have an extensive archive of targets. I am principally a belly shooter: no rest, just a single point sling and glove. Very few of our ranges are fitted out for proper bench rest shooting and whilst I have a proper front rest and set of bags the stock on my savage, a McMillan Anschutz Prone, definitely is not a "bag rider". So unlike if were into bench rest I am not particularly "anal" about group sizes. Maybe I should be, who knows?

As I said in the posting referred to above the rifle shoots groups like this just to keep me in my place, any poor quality shooting is purely down to the nut behind the trigger.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Andrew, find some N105 and use as BlueDot exactly by weight. Wider temp range accuracy, cleaner, and the same accuracy on a day well suited to BlueDot. ... felix
    felix

Joe, typically, gain twist will work against a boolit with quick acceleration. Would require deeper barrel grooves, keeping everything else the same. Shorter the boolit, the better the boolit will withstand the non-linear increasing rotational rate. Breach seating wins hands down, provided the breach seating technique keeps the boolits entirely concentric throughout the ignition phase. ... felix
    felix

Well, I certainly don't have any firm knowledge on this area, but that doesn't prevent me from adding my contribution to the fire plug.

Is it pressure or RPM.. that cause things to go South? Well, without pressure there are no RPM. More pressure produces more RPMs. So which is it?

I have a gut feeling that both play a part when juice on the bullet passes the point the alloy can withstand. The pressure pushes on the base, and the RMP rip at the sides of the bullet. They act together to kill the accuracy potential of that once wonderful cast bullet.

That are so many variables that I doubt if a fellow could codify the ceiling for RPMs or Pressure. Different cartridges, barrels, powders, and alloys will roll snake eyes at different points.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I'd like to see some slow motion photos of a cast bullet going 150,000 rpms about 25 yards from the muzzle. I bet we'd see why my target holes had commas.

Charger, that is why multivariate analysis (cluster analysis, ect.) was invented. You can't codify these parameters without the proper equipment, and even if you did have the equipment, the time it would take to get a mess of data for the "cloud" would drive a person without the necessary incentive(s) absolutely nuts. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chargar View Post
    I have a gut feeling that both play a part when juice on the bullet passes the point the alloy can withstand. The pressure pushes on the base, and the RMP rip at the sides of the bullet. They act together to kill the accuracy potential of that once wonderful cast bullet.

That are so many variables that I doubt if a fellow could codify the ceiling for RPMs or Pressure. Different cartridges, barrels, powders, and alloys will roll snake eyes at different points.
    Pressure and RPM do go hand in hand but the effects are different. Take pressure; Load a '06 with 311291 to a pressure where obturation is excessive with and then load to the same pressure with 4898. The pressure is the same but the time pressure curve (acceleration) is slower with 4895. That means the 4895 load is not causing the excessive obturation yet and can be driven to a higher velocity before it does. Thus accuracy deterioration will happen at a lower RPM with 2400 than with 4895. This is why Bass talks of using the slow burning powders and he is correct. With the slow burning powders you can push a given bullet faster and maintain accuracy. So while pressure and RPM are related there is a difference in how one gets to pressure. Get there too fast and RPM will be low. Take your time getting to pressure and RPM can be higher.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Et all; As Bass said this is not an arguement though it may seem that way to some. We are having a serious discussion here. As Bass said, we are bringing out lots of things we have learned and observed over the many years both of us have been casting bullets and shooting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Ackward View Post
    Larry,

Time for another deep breath. Bear with me. Every time you have to stop and think about what I wrote, think about why you NEVER see a free floated military barrel.

Took the deep breath and have been thinking about it all morning. Yes I do know why we never see a free floated military barrel (except with todays application for SDM and sniper rifles). Bass, free floating barrels wasn't discovered (and accepted) to be a real aid to accuracy until the late '50s after the bench rest crowd proved over and over again that free floated barrels are more accurate. All of the surplus military rifles we have and shoot were made well before that discovery. Also all of the factory rifles were made with barrel pressure as that was the accepted way then. Those rifles were bedded with the techology that was known when they were made. That's WHY we don't see any free floated barrels military barrels.

You said yourself, jacketed accuracy can be found at low, medium or high velocity. Jacketed throws enough friction that as the speed increases, the vibration speed increases and the barrel whip is minimized. No bedding is needed because you simply alter your powder charge or your powder speed to get the vibration pattern needed for consistent shot to shot exits.

The wine glass with your finger routine. Slow and easy and the pitch is low and soft. Push harder and the pitch of the tone gets higher and louder. Ever play the geetar? A real lose string can be seen vibrating and drawn tight never seems to move.

With lead, you must stay with the slowest powder producing your best velocity or accept a lower velocity (RPM).

No problem with all of that, we're on the same page of the hymn book there.

So jacketed accuracy is a different bedding game. Stop here. You have to believe this or your wasting your time reading on. Lead bedding logic SHOULD be different. It doesn't "have to be" if you can get best accuracy within the harmonics range you want to operate in with the barrel you have. (HV 30 caliber seems to be 2200 to 2400 fps) Bedding won't help then if you are accurate and it could make things worse. But lead, you can only throw so much friction before your lube breaks down and you lead. SO if your best (most accurate) load effort CAN"T reach the proper harmonics, then you MUST change the oscillating frequency which may be more pressure or more pressure farther out. Bedding does this. The farther out vibration is controlled, the less pressure is needed. But if you don't tune your lead, you live with the result.

Guess I'm wasting my time but that's alright. You see all my rifles are not free floated. I have numerous military rifles that are still bedded as made. I do mostly bed all my sporters, varmint and target rifles. I've numerous times tried adding pressure to barrels to enhance accuracy. Only in a few instances over the years has it worked. That was most often with very thin barrels and the long (29 1/2") Mauser barrels when those were in sporter stocks. With barrels of normal contours they ALWAYS are most accurate with jacketed and cast bullets.

Now I'll give you a case in point. Years back I aquired a new 2 groove '03 barrel with 10" twist. Now everyone and their brother swore that 2 groove barrels are more accurate with cast bullets (they aren't by the way) so I thought I had the cat's meow for a cast bullet rifle barrel. I also had a M1916 (Oviedo made in '28) Spanish M93 action that had just shot out it's 3rd .308 Winchester barrel. I had converted it to cock on opening so the lock time was very quick. It had been a very accurate rifle with all 3 previous barrels shooting both J and cast bullets. I had dreamed up my .308 CBC then which is a shortened .308 case with an '06 length neck. case capacity was computed to be just enough 4895 to get a 311284 to 2200 fps. I had the 2 groove barrel set back, threaded for the SR mauser and short chambered with a tight necked .308 reamer and then a '06 reamer was used to lentgthen the neck. Conversion came out quite nice. Case were formed from unfired U.S. 7.62 cases with the necks turned for .002 clearence with a .311 bullet. However I quickly found that accuracy was best (1- 1/1/2 moa) with 311284 in the 1750 to 1850 fps range which is right smack dab in the RPM threshold. I was not yet aware of the RPM threshold as i didn't read about it until some time later. When I increased velocity, thus increasing RPM, accuracy deteriorated to 3-5 moa, That's exacty what that bullet (or 311041 or 311291) did in my 30-06 and one .308 which also had a 10" twist. To the point here; I have tried every concievable thing, including all manner of pressure to the barrel and nothing changes the accuracy. Yes , I also went to slower powders but the smaller case capacity didn't help. Point is, pressure to the barrel changed nothing as far as accuracy at any velocity when using cast bullets. I have also tried barrel pressure numerous times over the years on many different rifles. This was even recently with the RCBS 30-150-FN after I shot your 154 LBT bullets. Pressure of 2, 6 and 10 lbs did not change the accuracy one iota with those cast bullets at velocities from 1800 up through 2500 fps. Accuracy was still the best (1 1/2 moa consistantly with 10 shot groups) down in the RPM threshold and went to 5-6 moa (with 5 shot groups) at the high end.

(It's the same with jacketed and thus the 115 grin Speer reference in the 8.66 twist. While people believe it's the twist rate overstabilizing, it's the increased barrel FREQUENCY from speed (the finger on the wine glass again) making bullet harmonics and bullet exit at a single point (accuracy) even MORE difficult. We prooved in several rifles that light bullets COULD BE shot MORE accurately than heavy for which the 8.66 twist was designed. All we did was change bedding.)

I get quite good accuracy with that Speer bullet out of my M95 Mauser. I also know of several other 7mms that shoot that bullet well. Would appear more to me that you have a barrel there with a lot of internal stress. What most call a bad barrel. We still agree that pressure was helpfull there.

Now, when a lead bullet reaches the point that lube breaks down and it .... grabs, that barrel and the vibration pattern is changed dramatically. (You pushed your finger harder on the wine glass and got a louder sound) So you get a flier. If you bed so that that change is trivialized, then you get less of a flier. Or so that is my logic. Same thing for minimizing humidy effect on lube and temperature, and metal fouling too. This is why militaries grab their barrel and hold it so as fouling alters accuracy, the effect is trivialized. A benchrester simply cleans his gun. Bedding does externally what a powder or charge change does. It's as simple as that. Maybe not as well, but well enough for lead.

I pretty much agree with here but I'me not sure how you think the defects caused to the bullets aren't affected by the rotaional spin of the centrifical force of the RPM when the bullet leaves the barrel. That is what we're talking about here. That is where accuracy is primarily lost; the defects in the bullets (from what ever reason) are accentuated by the increased rotational speed at higher velocity and accuracy is not as good as it is at lower RPM. If a lube breaks down and the barrel is leading I don't really care what direction the barrel whip throws the bullet it is not going to be accurate. Have you ever had a leaded barrel shoot accurately? I haven't.

Works as long as you aren't destroying bullet because of fouling, then all bets are off. You have to understand once you reached that point. Based upon my 35 Whelen tests last month with 4-6 BHN harder bullets and how that affect accuracy, I am going to get a .308 sizer and harden my bullets a tad and see if I can't shoot HV this winter.

I think you're forgetting the adverse effect of obturation at high accelleration. Even if the lube doesn't break down and the fouling is minimal adverse obturation if cause by higher acceleration will cause imbalances in the bullet and accuracy will be adversely affected by the higher RPM. I will be most interested in the results of your tests. I too will test this winter. I will run identical loads through 3 very accurate .308 rifles; a 10" twist M788, A 12" twist M70 Target and the 14" twist M98 Palma rifle. I will keep you posted.

When you slow the twist rate, you are in effect cutting pressure that alters the vibration pattern to allow higher velocity (RPM)s before the lead becomes unstable changing vibration again. Why not bed?

I've seen numerous tests that show the pressure between a 10" and 12" twist barrel is essentially the same. Any measured difference fell between the shot to shot variation of pressure. Not sure how this is with a 14" twist though. I am probably going to put my money where my mouth is and get a piezo (SP?) pressure measuring system for Christmas. Hopefully I'll have an answer by next Summer.

One more point: Larry "So what's that prove? Nothing much except your bullet shoots much more accurately down in the RPM threshold. That is just what I have been saying."

No all that prooves is that your gun shoots that bullet more accurately at that velocity. Free floated aren't ya?
    No Bass, they are not all free floated as previously stated. With or without free floated barrels the best accuracy with each, when using cast bullets, comes within or under the RPM threshold.

To be continued folks....

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

joeb33050

Not ignoring you, just haven't had time to check the threads. Thanks for the reply and I do not doubt your veracity. I'm just always intersted in learning. I'll get back with a reply.

Larry Gibson

In Remebrance

So do you guys think a boolit (cast alloy) can actually be spun fast enough to cause the alloy to "fly apart"? Is it even possible for an alloy to resond like that or would it just become radically unstable and turn into a tumbling rock? Is the "vaporizing bullet" , either cast or jacketed, another old wives tale?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    So do you guys think a boolit (cast alloy) can actually be spun fast enough to cause the alloy to "fly apart"? Is it even possible for an alloy to resond like that or would it just become radically unstable and turn into a tumbling rock? Is the "vaporizing bullet" , either cast or jacketed, another old wives tale?
    This is a topic that JA is working on. I asked another engineer here to handle it, but evidently I offended him-called him a name-in the past. This is easy, since:
    There's no such thing as centrifugal force.
    There is centripetal force.
    We know the tensile strength of lead and alloys.

I suspect and forecast that no lead / alloy bullet will ever come apart because of the rotation.
    I suspect that bullets blow up because the jacket or side is displaced or cut, amking the bullet wildly unstable.

Any competent engineer should be able to answer this question in a short time.
    joe b.

Banned
    Here's a summary of RPM for CBA 2006, 2007 NM, with unknown and SS Breech seaters out.
    Attached is the workbook. No it's not, this BD thing (B stands for BROKE) won't accept .xls files.

2006 CBA NM
    RPM
    Average 125,578
    >150,000 1
    140,000-150,000 6
    130,000-140,000 3
    120,000-130,000 10
    110,000-120,000 9
    100,000-110,000 4
    <100,000 1

2007 CBA NM
    RPM
    Average 132,246
    >150,000 2
    140,000-150,000 6
    130,000-140,000 12
    120,000-130,000 6
    110,000-120,000 7
    100,000-110,000 9
    <100,000 2

Boolit Master
    Although I've been keeping quiet, this thread has held my interest. It's my personal belief that there are more variables than we are willing/able to control simultaneously in this endevor. Thus the never ending discussion and room for "voodoo" in the process. To get real empirical evidence would require about ten identical rifles, each of which was bedded, rebedded and/or re-barreled simultaneously throughout the process.

I'm speaking up at this point to say that the "gray dust" phenomenon is possible, and I have witnessed it. I watched a dozen 40 grain .224 varmint bullets disappear with the evening sun at our backs out of a 9 twist .220 swift. These were loads that pushed a little better than 4,000 fps out of a 14 twist barrel. The 9 twist was built by a friend for sending the heavier bullets to coyotes across the frozen, windy lake. The 40 grainers were left from the previous 14 twist barrel and shot specifically to see if they'd go to pieces. They did. You could see the dust streaks as well as the fragments, (jacket bits?), kicking up dust downrange.

BD

Boolit Master
    I'm not claiming that I know what specific factor(s) causes the gray dust, only that I have seen the effect.

I'm of the opinion that sectional density may play a role as well. This is based on the single observation that if I push the 140 grain 6.5 Jumptrap's to 2,000 fps in a 7.8 twist Swede the groups open up to 14" or 16". If I push the cruise missle to the same velocity in the same Swede the groups open up to 6' or 8'.

BD

Felix.... I am certainly glad the tech folks came up with a term/process to deal with the crap we simple minded folks find stupifying.

Larry... Yea... I sorta figured the given the same peak pressure, a slow powder would allow more RPMs than a fast powder.

I think we have known for several lifetimes that with fast powders accuracy goes South at a lower velocity than with a slower powder. We always knew it was how fast the pressure was applied to the bullet that resulted in the accuracy differential. You boys are just trying to figure out why?

Banned

so, out of all of this....

I should take that a GOOD place to start with a .308 dia bullet of 225gr (311284) for a 30-06 with a barrel twist of 1-10 would be to try for 1800 fps to start for a good accurate hunting load?

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by BD View Post
    Although I've been keeping quiet, this thread has held my interest. It's my personal belief that there are more variables than we are willing/able to control simultaneously in this endevor. Thus the never ending discussion and room for "voodoo" in the process. To get real empirical evidence would require about ten identical rifles, each of which was bedded, rebedded and/or re-barreled simultaneously throughout the process.

I'm speaking up at this point to say that the "gray dust" phenomenon is possible, and I have witnessed it. I watched a dozen 40 grain .224 varmint bullets disappear with the evening sun at our backs out of a 9 twist .220 swift. These were loads that pushed a little better than 4,000 fps out of a 14 twist barrel. The 9 twist was built by a friend for sending the heavier bullets to coyotes across the frozen, windy lake. The 40 grainers were left from the previous 14 twist barrel and shot specifically to see if they'd go to pieces. They did. You could see the dust streaks as well as the fragments, (jacket bits?), kicking up dust downrange.

BD
    That's 320,000 rpms.

Boolit Grand Master

Andrew375

That is a nice group, especially for a belly shoot. The velocity is chronographed? As you say in that thread that one group does not accuracy make so does it do that well consistantly? You obviously have a nice load there at any rate.

Larry Gibson

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Guys, I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, when it comes to math.

Is

(velocityX60) divided by (Twist divided by 12) = RPM the correct formula?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast