Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Dot for .357 ?

Boolit Master

Blue Dot for .357 ?

Is Blue Dot a good powder for the .357, and maybe .38 Spl ?
    I ask because I can get a couple pounds tomorrow
    Failure is not an Option

Blue Dot is a very good powder for the 357 mag. Most reloading books will not give much, if any data for blue dot in 38 special. The Lyman 49th. Edition reloading handbook lists loads for blue dot in both 38 special and 357 mag. in several different bullet weights, 110 gr. to 158 gr. Some reloaders prefer Blue Dot over 296 in 357 mag. because they feel it has less muzzle flash.

Definite yes. My favorite powder for .357. And very accurate.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

If you are able to get some I say get it since you will use it in what you asking and also if there is some other cal you have that you might be able to se it in just check your data and go from there.I have not seen any Blue Dot around here for over a year now.But I got all that I need that i got some years ago.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I use Blue Dot in 357 with 150 gr cast (Lyman 358477) and 158 gr JHP. BD seems to like some pressure to burn clean, so I wouldn't normally use it with light boolits or in small charges. For the 38 spl, I would probably prefer something a little faster; I am working on a four pound jug of Red Dot that is about all I use in 38's.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

Heck yeah. Snatch it up for your 357. I've got a 5# jug I've been working on lately. At 9gr a time, it'll last a while.

to to sum up how I feel about BD

An excellent source for using bd in the 357 & other calibers.

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre...liant_2005.pdf

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite and most accurate 357 load is the LBT 155gr WFN, CCI Magnum Primer, and 10grns of Blue Dot. Favorite 38 special: 173gn #43 Keith bullet, CCI Magnum Primer and 5.5grns Blue Dot. Its not the hottest load but is extremely accurate yet effective on small critters and even bigger ones on occasian not to mention it's very pleasant to shoot.

Boolit Master

i use it in my 38 / 357 & in my 41 mag
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I recall a safety issue put out by the manufacture about using Blue Dot and 125gr bullets. The two don't seem to get along with each other. Excessive pressures happen.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
    I recall a safety issue put out by the manufacture about using Blue Dot and 125gr bullets. The two don't seem to get along with each other. Excessive pressures happen.
    Same with the 41. Alliant refuses to elaborate on specifics other than their testing indicated pressure issues.

BD is temp sensitive, esp when cold. I still use it in 38/357/45colt mostly. Quit using it in 41 as I have other powders on hand.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    i use it in my 38 / 357 & in my 41 mag
    Blue DotŪ should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting...y_notices.aspx

I have no idea as to why-maybe you do...

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Personally, I've never used Blue Dot but my Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook (3rd edition) has Data for both the 38 Spl and 357 in heavier boolits - 158 gr, 162 gr, 168 gr.

I was "powder shopping" a week or so ago and spotted on 1# container of Blue Dot - almost picked it up. Luckily, I hit the LGS at the right time and was able to get some Bulls Eye, Unique, 700X and Red Dot. I considered myself very lucky as I was able to get some of each so am now well stocked for the time bering. Had they not had those (they had just come in) I would have opted for the Blue Dot.

Boolit Master
    Blue Dot is my favorite powder in the .357, .44 Mag and 9mm and it is great in high pressure .44 Special powder. I have used Blue Dot more than any other powder with 2400 and 296 following behind Blue Dot in my personal choice.

Blue Dot has a lot of muzzle flash but it burns real clean which is important if DA .357 revolvers and semi autos. 2400 creates unburnt powder granules which get caught under the extractor star on DA revolvers preventing the cylinder from closing. This works against you if you are shooting on a timed course of fire, but is no problem in SA revolvers.

Boolit Master
    I love BlueDot in both .357 (10gr w/ Lyman 358477) and .45 Colt. (13gr w/ NOE 454424).

Boolit Master

Thanks for the heads up on the 41 mag
    but it did shoot good In my gun
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My Marlin 1894 loves Blue Dot with a gas checked Lee 358-158-RF.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I've enjoyed Blue Dot loads in both .357mag with 158 cast and .44 mag with 240 cast. I like it better than 2400, but probably not as much as H110/w296. I felt Blue Dot gave more accurate results than 2400, but didn't pack the same punch as H110/W296. I haven't tried it in any non magnum cartridges and don't plan to. I predict that I'd be wasting powder, time and components if I tried it in a non-magnum round.

Blue Dot is one of those powders that work well in a lot of applications. Handguns, shotguns and some rifle loads. Yes very good in .357 GP

"Moderator Emeritus"

I use quite bit of BD. from 9mm to 3" 12 gauge. My go to powder in 9mm, 357, and 44. Works good in 444 Marlin and 30-30. You can make anything go "bang" with Blue Dot.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast