Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .38 Rim Fire

Boolit Master

Hooker, I'm really disappointed to hear that you're enjoying this rifle so much, but when you finally realize it's no good for bison or re-enacting the Billy Dixon shot, my $50 offer for it still stands.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Hooker, I'm really disappointed to hear that you're enjoying this rifle so much, but when you finally realize it's no good for bison or re-enacting the Billy Dixon shot, my $50 offer for it still stands.
    Ha. Ha. Ok Big. When I miss and don't put down my first Buffi here in Va. You will be the first I contact. If you have followed the thread on the ETR-7 powder that some of us bought a few weeks ago, I loaded some of that up for this one last night. I started with 1.5 grns and stepped it up to 2.4 by 2/10th's. Gonna try that today and see how it does. One never knows till you try it but have a thought it's gonna be close if not a little cooler to BE. Later Bigslug.

New Powder Load Data

First. I tried a few loads of 2.7 Bullseye. My average Vel was about 742.00 at a 2.5" grouping. Shot standing open sights.

The ETR-7 powder that you may have been reading about is, started with 1.0 Gns. 283.1. Ha.
    Stepped up by .5 to 3 Gns and the finnal on that was 723.01. With 2.7" grouping.

What I'm wondering is if I'm getting 1004.0 FPS with 13.8 Gns of Jim S gold ffg would you step your smokeless load up to match it? All in all, I'm liking the Gold load and 2.7 of a bullseye so far for the grouping I'm getting.

I'm wondering about the stepped up smokeless load for hunting later on. I know IV said it before but know I'm not gonna be satisfied with this gun till i'v shot some loads with a tang sight on it. Keep shooting guys

Roy
    Hooker53
    Last edited by Hooker53; 03-08-2015 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Words

Boolit Master

Roy
    OK, some homework
    Read this
    http://www.reloadammo.com/38loads.htm
    Beware of higher pressures

Pistols and Revolvers

38 Special

• 148 gr Speer HBWC
    • Bullseye
    • CCI 500
    Minimum OAL(inches) Bbl Length Primer Powder Charge Weight
    grains)
    Velocity
    (fps)
    1.155 6 CCI 500 Bullseye 3.1 799

If you want more velocity than what you will get with Bullseye then switch to Unique and work it up.
    It is a slower burning powder and will do what you wish

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Mike. Your A great help. That's what I was looking for. I will read and absorb. Thanks so much.

Roy

Edit Note: man that link you sent was just one page of a bigger site that has loads of good info on it. Gonna look that over good.

Roy
    Last edited by Hooker53; 03-08-2015 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Words

Ok Gentlmen. I shot this Roller again today with 2.8 Gns of BE and I caught it doing something, I bet you have heard of. The first two shots are one right through the first ones hole almost. After that, they start spreading out into a group of about 2.5" every once in a while I get a flyer. IV noticed it doing it all along but thought it was me. This time I rested it and saw it first hand. Any ideas? thanks guys.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Master

Yes, are the base of the bullets not standard? so it is not flying straight?

Also maybe the Bullseye is a bit fast burning for your particular barrel

So, now try Unique and see what happens, isn't this FUN!!

Mike

p.s. one more thought!! As the barrel heats up the function of the bullet lube changes, maybe a
    higher temp lube would assist?????????

Mike. The bases are flat to the sprue. I will work up some loads with the Unique and will go from there on to a diff lube if needed. Yes. It's a riot. Stuff like this don't set me back it helps to learn the gun. That and good folk that helps out. I will report back after some more testing. Thanks Loads.

Roy
    Last edited by Hooker53; 03-09-2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Words

Quote Originally Posted by kootne View Post
    Hooker, it's probably cheaper going through a divorce or a fire than hanging out on this website. You have been warned.
    Hey Kootne. I'm calling your statement, the "Statement Of The Year". I bought a Lyman 17-A for this roller and loving it sooooo much I'm thinking about getting another one for my Remington 512 and a Full Buckhorn if I can find one. Lol. I'm starting to like these types of iron sights over scopes. For Right Now. Lol. Later

Roy
    Hooker53

New Powder load Teport

Been an interesting day for shooting. Started out with a few loads of 2.5, 3.0, and 3.5 Gns of Unique. The 2.5 came in at around 574.4. The 3.0 loads came in at abt 682.3. The 3.5 came in at an Ave of 790.5. The last one was very diff. I all of a sudden remembered a few post I read about holding your rifle straight up and smacking g it a few times and then slowly lowering it to target. When I did that, the last shot jumped to 1007. Ha. Ha.

So. What I'm gonna do next is back down to 3.0 and do the straight up and lower each shot at 50 Yds sted of 25 rested and see what they do grouping wise. Just more fun every day. Ha. Keep shooting.

Roy
    Hooker53

New thoughts. Info?

Some of us have bought and or kept up with the thread on the ETR-7 powder. I have shot a few loads and it's a good but a little on the side of dirty. Ha. So far, I believe it to be a slower burning powder than say Unique. I know I can load an even charge of this powder and the same with Unique and Chrony them but seems like there are still some verables here that would fail to prove out my wonderings. Ha. What say yee shooters? Anyone here run a sim test? Thanks

Roy
    Hooker53

Ok guys. Same old stuff. Our area is void of Small pistol primes for right now. I still have some but just wondering, have any of you used Small rifle primers and just backed the powder load down to compensate? Do t know how much I would back it down but just a thought here. Keep shooting Gents.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Master

Yes, I use Rem 5 1/2 primers in my 38 Special target loads with 3.1 grains of 231.
    Recently I have loaded 5000 rounds and no issues.
    Did the initial test firing in a Smith Model 28
    Now I shoot them in most anything including my Colt Mid-Range Match 38 Special auto.

For your tests, I would back down 1/2 grain and then evaluate.

I did tighten all the strain screws on my Smith revolvers, yes, Yes, I know it should have
    been that way from the beginning

Oh, yes, I also loaded 100 rounds of 9mm using the 5 1/2 primer and 4756. No issues !!
    Did the test firing in a Ruger Blackhawk with the 9mm cylinder installed, sure is a stout gun!

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 04-16-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Mike, that .5 grn backdown was the key I was looking for. Thanks again so much for comi g to the rescue. I will Chrony wht my small P primers and their loads are doing this weekend and then Chrony the back downs with the small R primers and see what gives. Thanks again.

Roy
    Hooker53

OK Thought I would share a Photo here of a group I shot with my #2 roller the other day. This was at 50 yds. 2.5 grns of Titegroup and a 125 Gn Boolit. I'm begining to think this is the best this old bore is gonna do but I will keep working on it. This was soft rested. I know. I know, need to get me a good rifle rest. Tell me what you think and NO BIGSLUG, it's still not for sell!!!! LOL.

Keep shooting guys. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#2 Roller Target (480 x 360).jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	140604
    Last edited by Hooker53; 05-26-2015 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Words

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, for fifty yards that isn't bad; a bit of vertical dispersion, but not bad.

Looks like it would do for most sitting rabbits anyway.

Robert

Hello Robert. Well. I think I'm gonna invest in a REAL rifle rest and know for sure on this one. I been shooting this one on a big ol fluffy pillow over top of my grill. Ha. This lite load is ok for plinking but gonna really have to bare down on a heaver hunting load. The few hotter loads IV tried, caused the grouping to start opening up. Ha. Don't know anything I can try Diff on the sights and dont know if i want to tax this old #2 anymore past about 4.5 gns of Unique type powder. Thanks for checking in and posting.

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Master

He he he
    Get a good shooting rest, go to the bank and get some cash and coin bags, go to the co-op and
    get some wheat, fill the bags 3/4 full. zip up and pin with safety pin.
    Put one small bag on the solid rest.
    Put some more bags under the buttstock,
    and
    Use one or two bags under your elbow.
    Mike

Big and heavy is good, BUT that is not me, I like light and portable
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/494...ProductFinding
    Last edited by skeettx; 05-27-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Hey Mike. Good info here. The Caldwell line was what I was looking at. They have lots of choices. I will be getting one soon and then I can use that and my Chrony to get a little more serious with this and two other rifles. At least with the stand, you can take some of the human factor out. Wink. Lol

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought several old canvas shot bags at the last gunshow. My plan is to fill them with either sand, sawdust, or a mixture of the two. Sand can get heavy, sawdust is light, but can really absorb moisture.

For my sawdust, I have a few bags of wood pellets that got wet, dry them out and there's my sawdust...

Not quite as easy to use as a regular rifle rest, but they will accommodate any rifle.

Robert