Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 73 grain 38 special loads ?

73 grain 38 special loads ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loaded 75 grain 38 w 4 gr trailboss.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	114377
    I was told these were 105 grain bullets. Looked pretty tiny, so I weighed them. 73 .5 grains. I want to use these as short-range small game loads, to be fired from my 3" adjustable-sighted Ruger GP100 in 38 special. I have Trailboss, Bullseye, and Unique. Settled on 4 gr Trailboss trying to fill the cases, yet keep velocities moderate. Any one tried bullets this light in 38 or 357?

Quote Originally Posted by cbriggs57 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loaded 75 grain 38 w 4 gr trailboss.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	114377
    I was told these were 105 grain bullets. Looked pretty tiny, so I weighed them. 73 .5 grains. I want to use these as short-range small game loads, to be fired from my 3" adjustable-sighted Ruger GP100 in 38 special. I have Trailboss, Bullseye, and Unique. Settled on 4 gr Trailboss trying to fill the cases, yet keep velocities moderate. Any one tried bullets this light in 38 or 357?
    Lyman RHB #43, page 145,
    .38 Special, 358101 boolit, 77gr
    Bullseye - 2.0gr for 690fps

Lyman RHB #44, page 120
    S&W 14, 6" barrel.

.38 Special, 358101, 75gr
    Bullseye
    Start - 2.0gr at 690fps
    Max - 3.0gr at 788fps

Unique
    Start - 3.0gr at 577fps
    Max - 5.0gr at 842fps
    Last edited by ohland; 08-24-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master

Load that boolit over the 75 grain wadcutter for a defensive round. I put wax paper between the boolits so they don't stick together. ..

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Interesting boolit! I just got a Lee mold for the 105 WC and I thought they were small - I refer to them as "gum drops". Can't help you on a pistol load but I loaded the 105 grain over 3.5 gr of Bulls Eye and shot some out of my 357 Handi Rifle to see what they would do. I was quite surprised - they actually shot quite well at 25 and 50 yards. I only had ten to try and the rifle was new so the groups weren't touching (I didn't expect they would) but I think that with some work, I can tighten them up out of the Handi-Rifle. I haven't tried any in my New Vaquero or my Smith M & P revolver yet. I just tumble lubed the 105 grain boolits and didn't have any leading, etc.in the Handi.

Loaded 60 of these last night. Decided I'll have to flare case mouths less next time. Air pressure from seating actually popped several boolits out before I got to crimp them. I made a seater on a lathe for the Lee die that to the bullet nose closely, Because I was concerned that the factory seater allowed the boolits to sit cockeyed in the cases. There's so little bearing surface that I wanted every accuracy advantage I could get. Will be shooting them next weekend.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I got one of the Lee 105 gr molds to try and have had minimal luck so far with that boolit out of my 38s - but to give the devil his due, I haven't really had time to play with different loads for it.

At first glance, I thought that was what you had but then I saw it was shorter. I would imagine that that boolit would be a little finicky to seat & crimp! I found the 105 gr to be a neat little boolit but if I went with anything smaller, I'd be fumbling with it for sure! LOL

I'll be interested to hear how these work out for you. Good luck - it sounds like you got the loading down on them. It will be interesting to hear what you think of it!

That was...informative. The little boolits don't have enough resistance to burn the powder effectively. Had one stuck in the barrel, and several squibs that barely made it out the barrel. Accuracy was poor.
    On a more positive note, the 173 grain Keith bullets over 4227 shot reasonably well, and some 148 grain wadcutters shot as expected, that is, just great.

Boolit Master
    What were you shooting them in? Barrel length?

Shooting them in the GP100 that is my avatar photo. It's a 3" 38 special with adjustable sights. My goal was to have a compact 38 or 357 that would shoot stout loads to back up my deer rifle as well as short-range small game loads. Intended to be accurate enough to perform either task at 50 feet. The little boolits don't qualify, but heavier ones are almost there.

I have that mould also.sized .357. used 4.0 win. 231 in .38 spec. shoot great in my model 10 6 inch, use them for the kids to shoot.
    I use a 6 in. plate at 25 yds. lots of fun.

How did you lube them, and where did you crimp them?

Boolit Buddy
    I've played around with rb loads (about 75gr i think?) in .38 and .357mag and found the only way I could get consistent burning was to load a full case of trailboss in a .357mag shell and crimp heavy. Tried bullseye and AP50 which are our normal powders for 150gr loads but it just wouldn't burn properly.