Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger super blackhawk

Boolit Buddy

Ruger super blackhawk

ciao ragazzi ! ho comprato un ruger super blackhawk in 44 magnum con canna da 7.5 pollici,quale boolits mi consigliate ?

INGLESE
    hello guys! I bought a ruger super blackhawk in 44 magnum with 7.5 inch barrel, which boolits do you recommend?
    Thanks for the info !!!

Boolit Master
    Lead ones!

Seriously, almost every bullet style I have tried in 44 has worked molto benni
    (hey I speak Italian, only those two words...)
    Try medium speed first, big boolit still slams into the target.
    240 grain semi-wadcutter style is the classic.
    You should try any mold you can get your hands on. Look in the "swappin & sellin"
    section, there should be some available. Several mold-makers here make really good molds.
    I read here that Lee has a new 200 grain mold for 44, I want to try that one too.

Boolit Master

Mine really likes the Lyman 429421. But I slugged the bore and the cylinder. The bore was .431. I sized the slugs at .431. They seem to shoot good with a wide variety of powders. I also had to have the mold opened up. It was casting at .428.

Banned

310 gr Lee or 265 RD. Felix lube, 21.5 gr of 296 with Lee, 22 gr with RD, standard primer. Light boolits/bullets do not shoot good, stay at 240 and up. 429421 was a good boolit long ago but I prefer a WLN or RNFP today. I do not like the shoulder on a semi wad cutter.

Any of the above boolits. One plus for the 429421 is, in my experience, it will stabilize and shoot well over a wide range of power and velocity levels.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

429244, you bet yer sweet bippy!
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Any of the above boolits. One plus for the 429421 is, in my experience, it will stabilize and shoot well over a wide range of power and velocity levels.
    No! need proper spin, heavy can not be shot slow. But a 240 can. And a Unique load will work with a lighter boolit. Not so once you get to 300 gr.
    429421 was a good boolit with 22 gr of 2400. Even it will fail with the wrong powders. I did many tests over the years.Attachment 114130This is one with a heavy shot too slow. 50 yards. this boolit will do 1" at 100 or under but see what a Unique load does.
    Why do revolver shooters ignore twist, velocity and barrel length?
    Would you deer hunt with this load?

Vendor Sponsor

+1 for the Lee 310, if you want lighter loads than 21.5gr 296, use 17.0gr 2400, 20.0gr LilGun, WLP primers.

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

I shoot some of the 241's in my 44 mag too.
    but have a fondness for the 429667 which is a 240 gr round nose flat point.
    I mostly shoot the 241's in the 44 specials now.

Banned

Lee 310 is a great boolit. Just needs spun up and will go through any animal. Sorry but it can't be shot at 800 fps. The .44 is a mild gun to shoot, why look for milk toast loads? It will not work.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Lee 310 is a great boolit. Just needs spun up and will go through any animal. Sorry but it can't be shot at 800 fps. The .44 is a mild gun to shoot, why look for milk toast loads? It will not work.
    What I meant by my statement:
    +1 for the Lee 310, if you want lighter loads than 21.5gr 296, use 17.0gr 2400, 20.0gr LilGun, WLP primers.
    is lighter than max loads. These are both still over 1,000f/s. Not a mouse fart load by any means. When I get a chance I will run some over the chrony and see what they are clocking.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lyman 429421 and RCBS 44-250-K (or KT) are excellent and time proven cast bullets in the 44 magnum. In your Super BH either will do very well from very low 44 SPL velocities (700 - 900 fps) to true magnum level velocities of 1400+ fps. Of course you must match the alloy to the velocity level which is not very hard to do. I size them at .430 which gives as good accuracy as any other sizing. I use 2 loads with either bullet; 8.5 gr Unique for a very accurate and comfortable "mid range load" and 22 gr of Alliant 2400 for the magnum load which is also very accurate. Both at time proven loads in the 44 magnum and are very useful for hunting.

However for hunting big game I use the GC'd Lyman Devastator 429640HP cast soft of 16-1 alloy (270 gr) over 23 gr H110 which give 1350 fps out of my Ruger BH w/6 1/2" barrel. You should realize 1400 fps with that load in your Ruger with 7 1/2" barrel.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 08-21-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    No! need proper spin, heavy can not be shot slow. But a 240 can. And a Unique load will work with a lighter boolit. Not so once you get to 300 gr.
    429421 was a good boolit with 22 gr of 2400. Even it will fail with the wrong powders. I did many tests over the years.Attachment 114130This is one with a heavy shot too slow. 50 yards. this boolit will do 1" at 100 or under but see what a Unique load does.
    Why do revolver shooters ignore twist, velocity and barrel length?
    Would you deer hunt with this load?
    Guess I'm blessed with a one in a million SBH Ruger, 12.1gr Herco pushing NOE's 434421 sized .432 out of mine would eat the 2 white center rings out of that target, 1174fps at a time.
    Have to defer to others experience on the heavies, crushed hand won't stand the recoil to shoot the dino-stomper loads anymore so I stay in the moderate range now. Bought mine new in '81, it's made at least 2 one shot kills on deer every year with the Keith style boolits in that speed range, and a bunch of hogs the past 8-10 years.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Banned

Actually I use the RCBS boolit with 7 gr of unique for good accuracy to 50 yards but I make them 28 to 30 BHN. As powder gets slower I can go softer. Yet the 429421 has not proven accurate with 296, only 2400. 22 gr was the best. I had the original in 1956 but had newer versions, not as good.
    I think the original had a nose at bore size, sure don't remember. Better start at the cone. RCBS has a small nose that wobbles in the bore. Nose can't guide a boolit.

Boolit Grand Master

Do a search for Blammers posts. He has a pic of almost every 44 mold available! Give you an idea of what is available.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Sorry but it can't be shot at 800 fps. The .44 is a mild gun to shoot, why look for milk toast loads? It will not work.
    While I have the upmost respect for your abilities and experience; I guess we have a different view on loads for a given gun. I like to have the ability to tailor loads for a given situation. I soot a lot more mid power loads than I do thumpers. I find it to be more enjoyable to shoot a variety of loads in a given gun. I also like the fact that less powder is requires. Shooting long strings of heavy loads causes me to get rattled and lose focus on the basics.

I appreciate your posts and experience and have profited by them especially shooting hunting loads at objects prior to deer season. I have found that Keith hollow points over 22 of H110 are all I need to cleanly kill deer at the ranges I hunt. (longest shot on white tail buck 65 yards). I dropped two deer with one shot each last year with a SBH Bisley hunter and those loads. I know that I am not in your league as a hunter or shooter but I do enjoy playing with loads of various power levels in all my handguns. It may not be the best way to do it but it is my preference. That is why I made the comment to the op that I found the Keith boolit to be more versatile.

I will continue to read and appreciate your posts and to respect your history as a hunter and hand gunner.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

My abilities are going to the dogs with age. A keith with 22 gr of H110 is a good load. I enjoy a few light loads myself, just that heavy for caliber doesn't work with them . the .44 is right at home with 240 to 250 gr boolits. Those are what you load the light loads with. As weight goes up, you need to maintain velocity.
    I use lighter loads for cans then most do, 7 gr of Unique or 6.5 of 231, yeah, shoots good. but at 300+, doesn't work.
    When you shoot a .475 or .500, you will wonder if the .44 went off! It is the gun and many .357's can be worse. Had the little suckers beat my knuckle.

Boolit Buddy
    INGLESE
    Thanks to all for your advice !!! I chose the mold lyman 429421 ........ a nice keith..INGLESE
    it takes a month to get the ruger ...... wait anxiously

Boolit Grand Master

I would go with 44Man!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

beppe - I have used the 429421 for over 40 years in 44 mag. A good choice for near-top and top loads, I only use 2400. Great in my RBH and my Redhawk. Enjoy and let us know how it goes for you.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast