Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glock 21 and lee boolits

Boolit Master

glock 21 and lee boolits

Ok folks, i have a g-21 with a kkm barrel in it. i recently loaded my first boolits, lee 452-228 round nose. i loaded em at 1.265 oal and now they tend to jam. they passed the plunk test so I'm not sure if i should seat deeper or what? if yall have any suggestions i would appeciate them. thanks. oh, la oad is 6.0 unique.

Boolit Grand Master
    If the rounds chamber smoothly , but the gun still malfunctions, seems that the nose contour of your current Lee cast bullet and your feed ramp / magazine feed angle aren't an ideal arrangement for smooth feeding.

May have to borrow / trade / buy some other 45 ACP cast bullet designs and try them in your pistol ? ?

Occasionally, shooters find that a particular design just will not work well in their particular pistol.

Boolit Master
    Ben, i don't understand as I've shot fmj hanloads out of it for yrs and not a bobble unless i limp wristed it or didn't have case flare fully removed but that was a rarity. this boolit has almost identical profile as my fmj's. i have some swc loads that i used in my 1911 but glocks aren't known for feeding those much of the time. i read a post a few days ago and the fellow used the exact same set-up and had to seat a bit deeper to get relible feeding. i just can't find the post though. i thsnk you though for your suggestions and am planning on some more molds in the future.

My 21 G4 feeds the LEE 200 SWC like corn through a goose, I haven't tried my 228 RND yet but I will.. oh that is a stock barrel. I have put over 3000 rounds of lead cast in the stock barrel with out a hiccup no leading no problems and accuracy is well....Glock accuracy

Boolit Master
    Well good to know, guess i will dig out my swc loads and try em out. i have never shot anything but ball and hp loads from this gun as of now. i am confident that these can be tinkered with and made to shoot well and feed but I'm hoping someone chimes in that has tried this type of set up. thx for the info. these swc loads have been sitting for yrs and sre tying up some good brass lol.

Boolit Master
    You will likely need to seat the boolit a bit shorter. Try 1.24 next and go from there. The 228-1R isn't a typical ball equivalent a 2 Radius is though and Lee's TL 230 RN is however I don't like the tumble lube part nor the step it has from the ogive to the TL grooves. I've shot the Lee 228-1R before and simply seated it to a bit shorter of a COAL to get it to run in my 45 autos.
    Last edited by RobS; 08-16-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

No personal experience, but have seen on forms a few times; the 1R profile of that particular bullet has the full diameter pretty far forward. The consensus was to seat deeper...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Love Life
    Seat deeper.

Boolit Grand Master
    twc1964

45 autos can be very picky as to the cartridge OAL and nose ogive shape.

Boolit Master
    I also use an aftermarket barrel in my G-21 for shooting cast. Like your KKM, it has a match chamber and is fully supported. The main result I have is that it is much more particular about the ammo than the standard Glock barrel. By the way, the standard barrel shoots cast boolits just fine... Standard caveats for sizing and alloys apply to prevent leading. Bottom line, the tighter match chamber wants what it wants. As others have said, the ogive of the 452-228 isn't ideal for that chamber at that OAL. Seat it down so the beginning of the ogive is much closer to the brass... Or just shoot the Glock barrel...

Oh... and the Accurate load data for lead bullets with maximum Unique charge is closer to 5.4 grains than 6.0... (Personally, I use 4.2 - 4.5 grains of Bullseye with 200 grain cast boolits...) So if you do seat deeper, I think it would be wise to load it down a ways... better to work up to a comfortable load than to work down from a high pressure load...

Boolit Master
    Yeah, i will download when i reduxe c.o.a.l . i have loaded for many years and really haven't had many problems at all. now with using lead boolits and a match type barrel, welllets say it threw me a curve ball lol. i thank everyone who commented about my dilema. thx.

Boolit Master
    I have the same setup you do and the only SWC I have had feeding problems with was an H&G 130 clone. Any RN or TC boolit has fed fine in both the factory barrel and the KKM.

My current favorite is an H&G 68 clone from accurate molds.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info jailer. i will try those swc boolits when i get to the range.

Boolit Buddy
    in my 21 clone h&g 68 and rcbs 230grs rn feed and shoot well ,original barrel

Use the Glock Barrel.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Use the Glock Barrel.

Randy
    I agree.

Boolit Master
    Well, loaded up ten rounds at 1.245. Had 1 ftf on the 9th shot. dam! Those loads were accurate. 15yrds and a 2.5 inch group offhand. well, i will download and reduce oal some more. on the bright side, when i do find a oal thatl shoot, i will be using a lot less powder lol

Next time shoot 10 thru the Aftermarket barrel and ten thru the Glock barrel. Bet the Glock barrel won't malfunction.

I have a Storm Lake barrel for my G35 in .40 S&W I have never gotten a full magazine thru it, and I am talking factory loads as well as my reloads which are very close dimensionally to the Winchester Factory 165 gr target loads.

I got tired of losing when the gun malfunctioned and I was forced to reload an extra time which always means you lose. There is little difference between the aftermarket barrel and the Glock barrel as far as accuracy is concerned.

If you are worried about some of the Internet BS about Glocks blowing up with Cast boolits,,, I will be the first here to tell you ,,, I ain't so.

Here is 21 pages and 400+ posts about this exact subject.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...locks-and-Cast

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Well last nite i dug out some 230 gr reloads i have been shooting. these have the old bullx boolits and they feed fine. i measured the oal and they are at 1.224. These are 230 gr roundnose. i have 10 loaded at 1.230 and will try them tonite. I'm betting these will feed but i can always go to 1.224 and i know itl work. i am going to try a lee 452-230tc real soon as I've heard good reports on that one with aftermarket barrels. we shall see.

Boolit Grand Master
    twc1964

Lee vs. Old BullX

If the nose profiles aren't IDENTICAL, the OAL of one and the OAL of the other have no bearing on one another.

Just because both are 230 gr. cast bullets means little.
    Last edited by Ben; 08-18-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast