MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: speed green

Boolit Master
    crabo
    Normaly I do not use heat for speed green. Abnormaly like when its -50f and my shop is kinda cold I do use just a bit of heat. A light bulb should work nicely.
    Blessings
    BIC/BS

Banned

after its' mixed I don't need any heat to run it in my lyman 450

Boolit Master
    i am not trying to change your good lube but . if i wanted a little harder-stiffer lube would 4-1 work? i guess i mean would the lube work and what would be the problums with doing that ? also do you get the bw melted first then add the bull plate ?

Boolit Master
    Well Sir I can only guess since I havnt tried it that way but my guess would be yes.
    The bullplate is such an efficiant lube that I dont think the reduction in percentage will hurt. Look at how little it takes to keep a mold in good order.
    For me up here where its cold it may affect the temp at which it will shoot well.
    The bullplate will not freeze at any temp I have submited it to down to -50 or so so when mixed has the effect of keeping the bees wax soft in the barrel even at very cold temps where some lubes will harden to the point the the boolit begins to ride the lube and is deformed by it. As a rule in realy cold weather I will soften the lube with more bullplate to adjust for that effect. Actually what I have started doing is just using nasa lube in winter for all my smokless loads.
    Blessings from the Bull Shop

What the heck is NASA lube?
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master

Density for Beeswax....

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    If someone has figured out the bulk density for "beeswax" then we could just measure a chunk to "weight".
    The density of Beeswax is listed as ranging between 0.953 and 0.970.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Boolit Master
    NASA lube is our black powder lube formula. It is much softer than speed green.
    We started out calling it nasa lube with space stuff because of the technology developed by/for nasa with synthetic ester fibers which is the lube base for bullplate.
    Try doing a search for it here at CB. There has been some interesting stuff written about it.
    Blessings
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by ssn vet View Post
    What's really scary Dan, is that you're likely talking about the ancient small packets of Kool Aid, where you put in your own sugar (which is much too complicated for the "modern" man)...

Of course the chief advantage of making Kool Aid this way (which any frugal little old lady Sunday school teacher knows) is that you can "cheat" on the sugar. This not only stretches a 5 lb. bag, but makes the little boys slightly less hyper active.

Don't ask me how I know

Man alive, even the Walton's had "electrified lights"

secretly jealous here.

Maybe I need to move from the extreme southern end of Maine to the extreme northern end. I bet I could pick up a hundred acres and a fixer up farm house for a song.
    Just make sure it aint near water!! Land anywhere near water is now so expensive, that only the out-of state rich guys can afford it! Small, camp lots on any frog pond around here are going for 30-50 grand! Us natives are screwed. Times are a changin!!!!!

Boolit Master

Dan,
    Have you ever mixed Speed Green with some Lanolin, carnauba, or Vasoline?

Not looking for you to give away any secrets, but wondering if the effects those three ingredients potentially bring to the party would accomplish anything with the ingredients you've already got in the Bull Plate lube...?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper View Post
    hi all. i am getting ready to make some speed green i think the recipe called for 2 onces of bull plate lube and 6 onces of beeswax. can i measure a block of beeswax before it is melted (6 onces) and go from there or does it need to be melted and done by volume in a measuring cup. thanks to all. dave

Somebody please tell me if this would work. Not having a postal scale, but owning three 2 oz. blocks of beeswax I got from da'Bay, I figure...close enough! Melt the wax, dump in the contents of one of the neat little white bottles of Bullplate lube, stir, don't shake, so as not to bruise the mixture, and FEAR NOT!

There has to be something wrong with that...it's too easy! Oh, yeah...how would adding a tbsp. of Johnson's Paste Wax affect anything ? Would it harden the mix?

Cheeers

Why not try it the way it is recommended before you mess with the formula? How will you know if you have improved it, or made it less effective by changing it without trying it first?

Just some questions,
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

On another thread therw were guys mixing JPW and lee mule snot, and some even adding moly powder to these two. Claiming good results too. I suspect that some carnauba might help speed green at human type (summer) temperatures, but would possibly cause hard lube buildup in the bore at inhuman (Alaskan) temperatures. Same with moly.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Dan, when I mixed up a batch, I thought it was a hard lube.

Richard
    Cat, the other white meat!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    Why not try it the way it is recommended before you mess with the formula?
    Because I CAN, old boy!

Actually, I was kind of hoping someone with experience with the mixture(s) could say "Well, tried it, and this is what happened." MUCH better than messing up a whole batch, when accurate knowledge is available and willingly shared.

Boolit Master
    For a harder lube for those requesting that we mix one oz of pure carnauba wax to one pound of speed green. It dont work no better its just harder and less sticky.
    We call it SGC for speed green with carnauba. The SGC will need a bit of heat for those north of the M.D. line and maybe not for them on the right side.
    BIC/BS

Quote Originally Posted by ssn vet View Post
    What's really scary Dan, is that you're likely talking about the ancient small packets of Kool Aid, where you put in your own sugar (which is much too complicated for the "modern" man)...

Of course the chief advantage of making Kool Aid this way (which any frugal little old lady Sunday school teacher knows) is that you can "cheat" on the sugar. This not only stretches a 5 lb. bag, but makes the little boys slightly less hyper active.

Don't ask me how I know

Man alive, even the Walton's had "electrified lights"

secretly jealous here.

Maybe I need to move from the extreme southern end of Maine to the extreme northern end. I bet I could pick up a hundred acres and a fixer up farm house for a song.

And for a real treat you can put the Koolaid in icetrays for homemade popsicles sans stick.

Boolit Mold
    Hey yall, Never heard of bullplate

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by WhitworthNewby View Post
    Hey yall, Never heard of bullplate
    WhitworthNewby,
    welcome to the forum
    Bullplate is a sprue plate lube

More info here
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...873-Bull-Plate
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12