MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: 7.62x39 - GB C314-041 - LeveRevolution

Boolit Grand Master

7.62x39 - GB C314-041 - LeveRevolution

7.62x39 – LeveRevolution Powder

In conjunction with a recent test of Junior1942s favoriteloads for his SKS using the RCBS 30-180-FN (197 gr cast of COWWs) I also tested the 7.62x39 cartridge with theGB C314-041 bullet with LeveRevolution powder.If you read the thread on Junior’s loas you saw that LeveRevolutionpowder under the heavier 197 gr RCBS bullet worked quite well in the 7.62x39cartridge.The RPM Threshold with COWWcast bullets was pushed up 150 + fps while maintaining quite less psi than withthe more popular medium burning powders such as 4895 and Varget.

Referring back to the 30-30 test I conducted withLeveRevolution powder it was found there a bullet of 170 + gr was really neededto get the LeveRevolution powder to burn efficiently.My testing of this powder with cast bulletsso far has consistently shown that LeveRevolution powder requires 26 – 28,000psi to begin burning efficiently.Withthe 30-180-FN seated to max magazine length for the SKS 27.5 gr gave about 105%load density and produced 28,700 psi(M43) under the RCBS 197 gr bullet and gavevery good accuracy at 1843 fps out of the test rifles 20” barrel.

The question was; would the 175 gr (COWWs + 2% tin at 13 –15 BHN) GB C314-041 provide enough mass for LeveRevolution to burn efficiently?With the bullet seated so the cartridge OALwas 2.206” the load density of LeveRevolution powder at 100% was 29.5 gr in theFL sized Winchester cases.I ran an initialpressure/velocity work up from 26.5 gr to 29.5 gr.That showed the 29.5 gr load might be 25,000psi at around 1900+ fps.I loaded 10shot test strings of 27.5, 28.5 and 29.5 gr to test.

Results;

Testrifle; Interarms Mini Mk X
    Caliber;7.63x39
    Bore;.301
    Groove;.311
    Barrellength/twist; 20”/1-9.5”
    Sights;Bushnell 4X scope

Testequipment; Oehler M43 PBL

Range;Sara Park, Lake Havasu City, AZ

Testrange; 100 yards, solid cement benches

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Calibri]Rest;Hoppe’s front and leather sand bag (rabbit ear) rear

Attachment 150923

Bullet; Lee Group buy 6 cavity C314-041

GCs; mine out of .014 brass shim stock

Lube; NRA 50/50

Sized to; .312

Alloy; COWWs + 2%tin AC’d BHN 13 – 15

Cases; Winchester, FL sized

Primers; CCI 200

Cartridge OAL ; 2.206” with GCs at the bottom of the caseneck with light crimp under driving band.

The 27.5 gr load; we see this load did not burnefficiently at all. The cases were sooty clear back the case head and aroundthe rims.The large ES of velocity andgroup size of 5.5’ says it all.I tracethrough the target bullet holes onto the data sheet for a record of the group.

Velocity; 1781 fps

Psi(M43); 22,000

Accuracy; 5.5”
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]

Attachment 150927

28.5 gr; Accuracy got better and the ES was about half ofthe previous load.This indicates thepowder is starting to burn more efficiently except there still was soot abouthalf way back along the cases indicating the pressure curve was not sufficientfor the case to obdurate and seal the chamber.

Velocity;1884 fps

Psi(M43);23,900

Accuracy;3.6”

Attachment 150928

29.5 gr; things are beginning to come together.The psi is still a bit low as we see a coupleof the shots fell out the bottom psi wise.The velocity ES is very good and the accuracy given the velocity is alsoquite good.Still some sooting of thenecks and shoulder area on the cases indicating obturation of the case is stilla problem.The average psi is stillbelow where LeveRevolution really burns efficiently.

Velocity;1944 fps

Psi(M43);24,800

Accuracy;2.5”

Attachment 150929

Perhaps in the test rifle which is a bolt action necksized fire formed cases will allow 30 gr or maybe 30.5 gr of LeveRevolutionpowder with this 175 gr bullet in the small 7.62x39 case.If so then the psi may get high enough forefficient powder burning.However, forthose who might want to use this powder in the SKS or AK I suggest a heavierbullet of 180 at least and perhaps 185 gr or use the RCBS 30-180-FN which seemsto cast on the heavier side.

Larry Gibson

Last edited by Larry Gibson; 10-11-2015 at 03:53 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Just checked and if I seat that bullet out to 2.238 oal the GC is just at the base of the neck and I can roll crimp under the middle drive band. The front drive band just kisses the leade. Case capacity of the R-P fire formed cases is 31.5 gr of LeveRevolution so I guess I've another test! The 1944 fps load is pushing 147,300 RPM so it will be interesting to see if I can push the RPM threshold higher with this bullet cast of COWWs + 2% tin and AC'd. Worth a try.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

Thanks for the write up Larry. The seemingly small window of usefulness of LeveRevolution just got Bigger!

You are awesome.... thanks... I really want get an x39 now... jerk.... (that last part is from my wife)
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

- thank you
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    - thank you
    +1... Touche!

PS: I plan on using the Saeco #305 (.311 version of their 30-30 bullet) and WD the projectiles.

Boolit Master
    thankyou very much for the data

Boolit Master
    again Larry thanks, I do kinda envy your little rifle but I'll shoot my carcano and dream of the little mausers! I do know this cartridge is a fun deal in cast, maybe because in Jacket version its not a real earth shattering cartridge!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    NOTE: the original load for the 30 WCF was a 160 gr bullet @ ~1950 fps. If we can reproduce this with the 7.62x39 cartridge, it will be '30-30 spec'... albeit 1895 specs.

(Of course, heavier is better... at the same velocity.)
    The SKS barrel twist is definitely the 'kicker', in this case.

Hope reigns eternal...

Boolit Buddy
    Larry, did you ever shoot this load with 31.5 grains and if so, what was the psi? How did it do? Thanks.

Mr. Gibson, your data and documentation is great. Thanks. Lever Revolution is one of the few powders I always see available here. I have not tried it yet.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    Hello,

Has anyone else given leverevolution a try in their sks with heavier bullets? I have a lb of this powder that I was going to try out, but it looks like there hasn't been much of a interest and/or reporting on results past Larry Gibson's reports.

Thanks,
    Nick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VintageRifle View Post
    Hello,

Has anyone else given leverevolution a try in their sks with heavier bullets? I have a lb of this powder that I was going to try out, but it looks like there hasn't been much of a interest and/or reporting on results past Larry Gibson's reports.

Thanks,

Nick
    I only use lvr in this cartridge and 30-30's anymore. It simply is too good of a powder to mess with the other stuff. I shoot heavy boolits so it is perfect for me. If i was a plinker there are much better powders.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Thanks for the write up Larry. I can't view the attachments, is anyone else having any trouble?

Boolit Master

I've been experimenting with NOE's 316299 and Tom's (Accurate Molds) 316215B with LeveRevolution; 1.4 to 1.6 cc's give good accuracy, function just fine, and fit the Tapco SKS magazine. I will post more when I have time; I have been working 10 to 15 day stretches for the past few months!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master

I re-added the attachments to the original post.

I also continued the test with a redo of 29.5 gr LvR and then tested 30, 30.5 and 31 gr LvR under the same 170 gr cast bullet. All loads hovered right at 2 moa for 10 shots. The 31 gr load was 100% load density It was right at 2 moa ay 2076 fps out of the 20" Mini Mk X. The psi MAP was 32,400 psi(M43) so all was well, very well indeed. That load pretty much does duplicate the "standard" 30-30 load with the same bullet out of a 20" M94 or M336 Carbine.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    What is the barrel twist in your Mini Mk X?

Thanks for the additional testing; I think that Junior would be smiling at that 31 gr load of LVR.
    Last edited by NYBushBro; 10-12-2015 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Grand Master

The Mini Mk X 7.62x39 has a 9 1/2" twist.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Larry. Time to mess around a little.