MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kroil

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I generally use it as a light oil. My Dad would run it in his car, lawn mower, edger, boat motor and had gallons of the stuff squirreled away in his tool shed that I inherited. Don't like to see things go to waste so I use it as a light oil, in place of 3 in 1.
    Hi, gwpercle -

Have you tried using some of your Dad's MMO in your own engines?

I substiitute one quart of motor oil for one quart of MMO routinely when I change the oil in the cars. My oldest Honda has 132,000 miles. Looking in the valve cover opening with a flashlight, there's not so much as a brown film on the metal surfaces.

Looks like the parts are brand new.....bright and shiney...The MMO works very well.

Bayou52
    Last edited by Bayou52; 08-19-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Have to differ with this statement. Kroil is 4th Looser and expensive

A 50/50 mix of acetone & ATF from the April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop. They did a test of penetrating oils using a torque wrench to measure the foot pounds to loosen rusted test bolts. The lower the number of pounds the better.

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
    None ................. 516 pounds .
    WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
    PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
    Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
    Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
    ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

I'm not much of a mechanic, but what is ATF?

Quote Originally Posted by brody View Post
    I'm not much of a mechanic, but what is ATF?
    ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Airman Basic View Post
    How'd they know the test bolts were equally stuck?
    Yep, that factor alone reveals the test is questionable.

Boolit Master

Have to differ with this statement. Kroil is 4th Looser and expensive

A 50/50 mix of acetone & ATF from the April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop. They did a test of penetrating oils using a torque wrench to measure the foot pounds to loosen rusted test bolts. The lower the number of pounds the better.

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
    None ................. 516 pounds .
    WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
    PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
    Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
    Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
    ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10
    It has already been pointed out that Kroil is second looser but if you buy it in a gallon can, the price comes down to about half. I could be off since I bought mine about 5 years ago but still it has many uses and I don't have to mess with acetone.

I have friends that swear that whatever they use is better than anything else. Nuts and bolts just come loose by themselves.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy

I like Kroil a lot, and I want to try a number of Kano Labs's products. However, I have had equal success using the products from a couple competitors.

Another hobby of mine has been restoring antique farm engines (the flywheel type...hit and miss..."popping johnnys) and they are usually rusted into a frozen hunk of cast iron...Kroil has been my go to for years..there are 2 gallons sitting in my paint locker right now...just waiting for the next rust bucket to show up...the key is patience...it won't release 50 years of solid rust in 15 minutes but in a long term..."Kroil and tap tap" project it does better than much anything else I've found...I like PB blaster but it really stinks..Happy rust!! A couple of "before and after" where Kroil was the savior in freeing up stuck pistons, etc...

Boolit Master
    Not mentioned in the national magazine article. Look at it this way - if the bolts were of uneven rusting - there sure would be some ******** on forums on the Internet - which there aren't

And if you feel the test was skewed in favor of the 50:50 ... Don't Use It and Buy Whatever One Wants To Use or Write to the Magazine and ask your equally stuck question. Or better yet, step to the plate and perform the same test and let us all know the results

Me? If I can soak & remove rusted bolts that are frozen from being in salt water on my duck boat - I'll trust the Article because It Works!
    As I said, I'm not knocking or doubting it. I know firsthand how good ATF is as a penetrating solvent. I just don't know that a test of a few bolts is sufficient to give quantitative data. Still, for the cost difference it makes sense to try the ATF mix first. Kroil ain't cheap!

My silencer soak is ATF and mineral spirits...wonder if it would be better or worse than acetone? I try to avoid breathing too much acetone because supposedly it's a carcinogen, and also just because it really stinks and gives me a headache.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.