Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Bullets stick to the mold!

Boolit Man

Bullets stick to the mold!

I'm casting 45acp RN bullets in a lee 6-cavity mold. The problem is that the bullets seem to stick to the mold with almost every cast. I have to actually push the bullets out of the mold!

Is this normal behavior? I've tried smoking the mold with a match, but it doesn't seem to help. I light a wooden match, hold it up to the (upside down mold) cavity and it turns it nice and dark, but they still stick!

it's a little frustrating...those buggers are HOT even with gloves on.

Thanks for any ideas!

kelly,
    Do a search for Leementing up in the stickies section. Basicly a light lapping job using toothpaste to remove burrs left from machining the mold. Some also have good luck removing them using typewriter erasers or rubbing the cavity edges with old bamboo chopsticks among other things. After the burrs are gone, the little buggers'll just about jump out of the cavities.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by kellyj00 View Post
    I'm casting 45acp RN bullets in a lee 6-cavity mold. The problem is that the bullets seem to stick to the mold with almost every cast. I have to actually push the bullets out of the mold!

Kelly, I had the same problem with a Lee 6-cav 125 RN and the process that Hornet pointed out fixed it. After I did all of the steps, I applied some Frankford arsenal mold release. They literally fall out now when I open the mold.

Life is good after you lap your Lee molds
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

Boolit Master

It is almost standard procedure for me to lap a Lee mould before I use it for the first time these days. It really does make a difference in the way they release the boolit. It is easy and works well, takes about an half hour to do a six cavity. Good luck!