Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 22 rimfire bullets start to finish

Boolit Master
    I am really not sure about how the soft jacket compaires to the soft core as to spring back. I know that in sizing boolits cast of alloy there is some spring back, but in pure lead there is none. I have not played with brass enough to know, YET.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master
    I picked up a box of swaged Speer??? soft lead .45 bullets on a trade afew months ago.
    When loading them and crimping the case mouth springs back and the slug will fall in or out
    of the case. Sure made a mess of things and wasted the time.

Have decided to save those for my bp single shot as it does a better job of shooting slugs
    than rb's.
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

I am lucky enough to have this IDEAL bullet mold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bullet.bmp 
Views:	2337 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	6397

When I can, I'll try making RF jacket bullets with the tip slightly exposed to see if I can end up with pointed bullet.

This will be added to my AK-74 brass project but I will post the bullet here.

As cast that bullet is 50 grains. So I should be able to make a jacketed bullet with the same weight as the Wolf Military Classic.
    WORK TO LIVE, LIVE TO HUNT
    SHOOT ONCE, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Although I am sure that the core may have shifted some from sizing these bullets down, I don't know if I am very concerned about core movement or whatever during bullet flight. By swaging down, I have reduced the volume of the jacket with the same amount of lead. I suspect thing in there are still tight enough that the bullet is gonna go down range. I would suspect though that having changed the shape after the initial formation, I may have introduced an imbalance that will adversely impact accuracy. Then again, I can't shoot straight so a bullet that turns might be a boon to me.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Man
    Wonderwolf
    Any luck finding this info?
    Thanks
    Mel W.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    Reading a while back in PS magazine somebody was making full dies that were said to be good up to 150,000 cases if I remember right and cost about $160....Now I just have to sort through 20 years of magazines to find that issue again (was a recent issue though rest assured)

Quote Originally Posted by melw View Post
    Wonderwolf
    Any luck finding this info?
    Thanks
    Mel W.
    I started looking last night, got through about 2 years of issues before I passed out for the night. Its slow going....open up a issue find something neat...that I didn't see the first time...read it...find something else....so on, so forth and such like.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    Thor:
    Digging thru my bullet box the other night for .224s and found one I didn't
    recognize. Was comparing your's to MHG's and factory.

This one is stright walled then straight taper, not rounded at all. both shapes
    are straight sided.

Made a jacket swaging did body the other day, tried to mount it today and it's
    too short for the press! Am trying to conserve the threaded drill rod I had a buddy
    thread for me for this project and cut it too short. Will figure out a way to turn it in yet.
    Made another today, but, while drilling it my back gave out. Lasted til just about an
    hour ago. Been floating around here five feet off the deck on pills all day and still
    hurting. Friday am supposed to go in for a nerve block to the lower back. THis back
    surgery battle since sept '05 has been tough.

You guys that have good backs and knee's, take care of 'em, you sure don't want to
    end up like I've been lately.
    George so I can:

It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Boolit Master
    If ya want a die to swage the rim off 22 rf cases just get ya a Lee .224" sizer die. Then all ya have to do is turn a bit off the punch until a case will slip over it. Works good.
    BIC/BS

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    If ya want a die to swage the rim off 22 rf cases just get ya a Lee .224" sizer die. Then all ya have to do is turn a bit off the punch until a case will slip over it. Works good.
    BIC/BS
    I was thinking the same thing believe it or not. Mic the ID of the cases and turn down the punch. There is a metric drill size that is .2244 and if I can find or make some all thread I would like to try making some prototype dies. I would think that a bevel on the punch and on the ID of the die would help roll the rim right off of the cast.
    My firearms project blog

My jackets are a little less than 224 so I don't have any trouble gettin them in the Core seater die. That die is at .224 and when you seat the core it also expands the jacket ever so slightly creating a nice close fit between jacket and core. dont know if this all that critical, but Corbin talks about it and at this point I will assume he knows more about it than I do. I do know that with the bigger hole I end up with the little ring around the base of the jacket. I dont mind that, but some do.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Master
    Thor: you've got a several days old pm sitting there.

Looking at the samples you so kindly sent me.
    The bullets still have a radiused edge, that's great for seating. Much better than full
    sharp edge's on some flat based bullets.
    I think the ring around the jacket might help clean out the bore too.

Only thing I'm concerned about is some of the swaged jackets have scratches lengthwise
    on them. I've done that on sizing dies, and once on carbide RCBS die and had to send it
    in for polishing. That one I know was caused by a dirty case that I didn't catch in time.
    I get to thinking about other things when doing these long runs sometimes and miss
    a dirty one. That's why I check all case's with a light before seating bullets in. Not often
    but, I have caught an empty in the loading block.

Do you polish the bullets as a last step? IF so, how?
    Thanks much,
    George so I can:

It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Boolit Man
    Thor,

Thanks for the great info. I sent you an email with a few more questions about the actual dies. Let me know if it got to you allright.

Thanks again,
    Greebe

Quote Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
    Thor:

Only thing I'm concerned about is some of the swaged jackets have scratches lengthwise
    on them.

Do you polish the bullets as a last step? IF so, how?
    Thanks much,
    The jackets were run through a die with untold thousand of previous passes, they are no doubt scratched. Truthfully, for years we just made em and shot em, didn't really worry about looks or sub minute stuff.

To polish them I just throw them in my case cleaner and let it run over night.

Boolit Master
    Thor:
    Looking at what you've sent me and reading the last thread or one before about over heating the jackets making scale on them. How hot are you heating them? It's possible the coloration I'm seeing might be fine scale.

Wish I had a pound or so of fine steel shot and some polish with rcbs wet media I'm told is the trick to fine polish things. I just got a box of brass from a guy on abt that's polished up so pretty it's a shame to load 'em up. This is what he use's to shine them up with in a rolling bucket set up. since it's wet, he just rinse's them off and the fine stuff runs thru a screen. The excess water is poured off once it's settled. Don't think he even puts any polish in it. Need to verify that part though.

Am wondering if scale from brass would scratch a bore. Anyone know first hand?

I talked one of the guys into making a few test bullets for me to try the Varmint Grenade design in home made's. 30gr core, big open space above. Just got 'em today. Need to load 'em and see what they'll do on paper, then go try a few on p'dogs.

Has anyone else tried these short core's yet? IF so, what did you learn other than they're mighty hard to form without folds in the upper jackets?

Once I shoot 'em, I'll give a report. I don't have a camera now, brought a "date" home for play times just before Christmas and damned if she didn't steal my camera. I can measure them and compare to 40gr v max and 55gr Rem's to give an idea.

Sure do appreciate this member making them for me to try.
    George so I can:

It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Boolit Grand Master
    I've made some using .22 short cases, they ended up 39 grains. There is no problem with the nose of the jacket folding over. and other than die adjustment, they are no more trouble or work than the 60 grainers.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    Out of nearly half bucket full I've found three, yes THREE
    shorts so far.

Weighed this batch of samples today.
    16-40gr +- .2
    76--39.5gr
    8--38.5
    1-38gr

One with jacket torn and over lapped around the tip.
    One with a PIPE tip where the jacket went up into the lead bleed hole I think.
    and two with angled tip's.

Impressive quality for the first batch of a trial run I feel.
    Am quite thankful for the sample's and look fwd to test firing them. Storm is brewing
    and the wind blew again today. Hope to get out there in the next few days.
    George so I can:

It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Quote Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
    Out of nearly half bucket full I've found three, yes THREE
    shorts so far.

Weighed this batch of samples today.
    16-40gr +- .2
    76--39.5gr
    8--38.5
    1-38gr

One with jacket torn and over lapped around the tip.
    One with a PIPE tip where the jacket went up into the lead bleed hole I think.
    and two with angled tip's.

Impressive quality for the first batch of a trial run I feel.
    Am quite thankful for the sample's and look fwd to test firing them. Storm is brewing
    and the wind blew again today. Hope to get out there in the next few days.
    The Majority of the difference in those bullets was jacket related. I did not sort jackets, I just seated cores and swaged the ends. The pipe tips (there were actually 3) were the result of the initial Die setup. I ran the die down till I found the max closure point, (thus the pipe tip) and then backed off till it was about right. I figured I might as well send everything. That fold over happens occasionally, and is usually related to heat treat issues, but may also be because of splits or other jacket issues.

This batch of jackets was heat treated to 800 degrees by a friend using his heat treat oven and a stainless pouch. There should be little or no scale on them. If you want to polish a few to see how they would come out. You could just rub them around in your hand with a bit of ajax, and then follow up with regular toothpaste then wash them off. Lets face it, any abrasive will polish them. The finer the abrasive the shinier they will be. I have used scotchbrite, sandpaper, walnut shells, Garnet, car rubbing compound, you name it.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I first started making these, I had a lot of the "folded nose" problems, which was mostly caused by failure to anneal the jackets. Rather than throw them away, I put them in a "blem" box. I then loaded a bunch of the blems, and surprisingly they shot as well as the "keepers". I also experimented with sorting by case headstamp on the jackets, weighing of each bullet, cleaned and uncleaned, and the same thing happened. I never shot a group over 1" at a hundred with any of the less than perfect bullets.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    When I first started making these, I had a lot of the "folded nose" problems, which was mostly caused by failure to anneal the jackets. Rather than throw them away, I put them in a "blem" box. I then loaded a bunch of the blems, and surprisingly they shot as well as the "keepers". I also experimented with sorting by case headstamp on the jackets, weighing of each bullet, cleaned and uncleaned, and the same thing happened. I never shot a group over 1" at a hundred with any of the less than perfect bullets.
    I have had the same results. Course it may be a regional phenomenon, we're only 76 miles apart

Boolit Master

Has anyone thought of using a flux inside the case? I saw an article by Mr. Corbin and he talked of wiping the lead cores with a flux and inserting them in the cases. Then he fired the batch on a piece of fire brick with a torch enough to get the lead liquid. Then he let them cool and presto! He had a bonded core bullet. Anyone try this yet?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast