MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 22 rimfire bullets start to finish

Good stuff Thor, I have ben wondering what to do with a heap of 22 cases! Corbin stuff is a bit hard and expensive to get hold of but after seeing the dies and reading your tutorial I reckon I can make up some dies and give it a go. Many Thanks!!!
    Do, or do not. There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master

Too cool! Keep the pics coming!!! What type of accuracy is achieved by these bullets? I am very interested in all aspects of this process.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    Too cool! Keep the pics coming!!! What type of accuracy is achieved by these bullets? I am very interested in all aspects of this process.

Um, Frankly I have to admit that I have not taken any of my homemades to the range so I can't tell you group size. My dad made bullets on this stuff years ago and we just load the 22 cal stuff for shooting "gophers" (Montana Richardson Ground Squirrels) They are about the same size as your grey squirrels so you want something that shoots fairly well. We have no problem hitting what we aim at and the results with the brass jackets are very dramatic.

Now that I am making my own bullets I have some loads set up but the weather here is -8 degrees and there is a blizzard outside so I won't know for sure how my stuff compares till later in the spring.

Just for Info sake, I measured my jacket forming dies and the set I use most has a die hole of .223 and a punch size of .200. That is the set with yellow paint shown above. I have others with smaller punches and smaller holes. I have not made a set for the 243 cause I did not have a rifle in that caliber. Now that I have a set of forming dies I went out and bought two 243 guns so I have a reason to make bullets.
    Last edited by MightyThor; 02-01-2008 at 03:50 PM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    MightyThor, what part of Montana are you in. I've been looking for someplace to shoot the Richardson's here. I have been going into Alberta for varminting, but wouldn't mind somewhere closer to home. They are very thick up there, but crossing the border can be a pain in the butt at times.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    MightyThor, what part of Montana are you in. I've been looking for someplace to shoot the Richardson's here. I have been going into Alberta for varminting, but wouldn't mind somewhere closer to home. They are very thick up there, but crossing the border can be a pain in the butt at times.
    I'm down here in Great Falls. Got yer Sorrels on yet?

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyThor View Post
    I'm down here in Great Falls. Got yer Sorrels on yet?

Yup. Went fishing on Saturday. It was... brisk?....yes,.... brisk... that would be the word for it. You could tell who had good boots, by how long they could stay on the ice. We made it til noon.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Ric, Did you drag anything noteworthy up? I have been on small trout on my trips out [-16"] Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Are you kidding, with the wind that was blowing here on Saturday he probably had to send an Anchor down just to stay on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyThor View Post
    Are you kidding, with the wind that was blowing here on Saturday he probably had to send an Anchor down just to stay on the ice.

I'll start an icefishing topic, and give this one back to the originator!

Boolit Buddy
    Mighty Thor,

I am just outside of Great Falls, your set-up for making jacketed boolits is interesting.

We may have to get together for a up of coffee.

Jerry

Reading a while back in PS magazine somebody was making full dies that were said to be good up to 150,000 cases if I remember right and cost about $160....Now I just have to sort through 20 years of magazines to find that issue again (was a recent issue though rest assured)
    My firearms project blog

Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    RF jacketed bullets are capable of sub-MOA accuracy.

Boolit Master
    Thor: man, those are great pics, and the size's I've been trying to learn for a long time.

Thank you guys for posting all this good stuff.

Thor: pm coming shortly.
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Boolit Master
    Wonderwolf, that info would be greatly appreciated. I wanted to get a set of dies for RF bullets from Sport-Flite, but can't find them. Anyone know what became of them anf if their dies are still available?

I'll try and drag up that issue, I think its towards the top of the stack as I wanted to keep it close.

I'm seriously thinking about getting into this hardcore. I have a great source for soft lead and unlimited jackets (trash cans full). I have nice big clumps of down time that I can use for making bullets instead of reloading my 5 gal bucket of .44mag all the time

I would like to attempt making my own dies first. Hard part would be the bullet shape. As you could run the case through a lee push through to true it up if its just oversized.

My big Q is does it matter what manufactures of case you use. Say federal bulk pack, wolf match and some winchester wildcat? Is there a significant differance in these?
    My firearms project blog

Frankly if you are just doing what I am (making bullets to throw down range) you don't really need to worry about what case you have. If you want to make Bench Rest bullets you probably want to sort stuff. I have found the cases to be fairly consistent or at least not particularly inconsistent between batches and brands. Once and a while I will get a long jacket or some other sort of anomaly and since you are doing this all by hand you just end up pulling that one out along with some sort of plan to "test" it later. You can "size" your bullets after pointing them but I would rather not have to so I went looking for a new die that made them dead on and am very satisfied with the Corbin and non corbin I ended up with. I have two different kind of Herter's sizers and they do tend to change the tip of the bullet while sizing. this is sometimes a good thing. A push through die would do as well I imagine.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Has anybody run into problems with firing pin strikes swagging out to cracks in the Jacket?
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, If the case was struck by the firing pin very hard when fired the jackets seem to develop cracks sometimes or all the time depending on the batch of cases.

-Yarro

Boolit Master
    With jacketed bullets you want to avoid sizing down. When you swage bullets you only size up. Only sizing up keeps the jacket pressed tightly against the core. If you size down the jacket and core will sometimes sepperate due to spring back of the jacket. That bit of sepperation between jacket and core does nothing good for accuracy.
    I think the only way to avoid sepperation is to bond the core to the jacket.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Master
    Bullshop:
    Will that happen even with annealed jackets first?
    seems if they're dead soft, they wouldn't spring back any.

I've wondered about putting a drop of something sticky in first. Then it would
    squirt up along side and glue the core and jackets. Not sure what to use though.
    Maybe long setting time epoxy. Can't be much of it or it'd make a mess in the pointing
    die. Be worth playing with though just to learn what it might do.

Some yrs ago I got a batch from a maker in MT. MHG I think it was, recently got a few hundred from an old shooting buddy that died in Nov that he got from the same source. They're all brands of jackets. Smooth/slick jackets and well polished.
    I do like the ring on Thor's sample's though. Don't matter to me in a NEF. Once they're made, will polish 'em some anyway.

Has anyone tried this sort of thing??
    Last edited by georgeld; 02-15-2008 at 01:49 AM. Reason: more
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast