Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Fattest 30

Boolit Master

Fattest 30

Cast a couple hundred of the Fattest 30 Group Buy boolits today. With my calipers this is what I got for dimensions.

Alloy: Straight Air Cooled Wheel Weights

Length: 1.005

Band Diameter: .315

Nose Diameter: .302

Shank Diameter: .285 Too small for gas checks to snap on.

Weight: 177 - 178 grains

#607 nose punch worked great

I'm curious to see what you other guys are getting. This mould made beautiful boolits and after a little work cleaning up the burrs with a sharp knife they fell out with little effort. Definately the easiest casting six banger I've used.

Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fattest 30 Drawing.JPG  
    Last edited by eka; 01-24-2008 at 09:04 PM.

Boolit Master

I cast some up out of air cooled WW plus some extra tin mine came out a 181 grains amd miced at .3175 on the driving bands. Ran 50 through the .315 die in the model 45 with Felix lube. The 30 cal. gas checks worked fine. If the weather ever breaks I will load them up and try them in the 1909 Argentine.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Boolit Master
    First outing with the Fattest (yet) .30 and my Mosin Nagant Carbine. 20.5 gr. SR 4759 and 50 yd. "group" (loose gathering actually) of about 3".

I shot some "Beagled" 311291's ahead of 17.5 gr. of 2400 for a 3-shot group of 1". It was the only 3 I had and I will have to cast up a bunch to see the dimensions. I still have the mould Beagalized in the garage. Have car work tomorrow so will find out in a week or so.

I got around to cleaning the guns and discovered the action screw loose so will have to give those fattest 30's another chance. Shot the 3-311291's first so maybe screw loosened after?
    Last edited by Newtire; 02-11-2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: discovered loose screw

Boolit Buddy
    I have some loaded up, haven't tried them for group yet. Its too windy here right now. Later

Boolit Master

Still too cold and snowy here to try to get to the range. I have so many loads to try, it's going to take me a couple of days if the weather ever breaks.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    There seems to be a variation in size of Hornady gas checks. I made a whole bunch of fattest 30's and went to size and gas check them only to find that the gas checks were too big (or the bullet shank too small). Tried annealing the gas checks, didn't work any better. Got out a new box with a different lot number and they worked perfectly. Go figure.

Cheers,

Phil

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    There seems to be a variation in size of Hornady gas checks. I made a whole bunch of fattest 30's and went to size and gas check them only to find that the gas checks were too big (or the bullet shank too small). Tried annealing the gas checks, didn't work any better. Got out a new box with a different lot number and they worked perfectly. Go figure.

Cheers,

Phil
    Fairly common occurence I believe. When GC's were $15 per 1000 no one really complained so the mfg's had it easy. You might call or e-mail Hornaday and offer them the opportunity to fix the problem or make it right with you. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Got to the range and tried the fattest 30's in the 1909 Arg. and my Finn M-N. The 1909 did best with 12.5 grains of 2400 1.25" at 50 yards. The Finn liked 14.5 Gr. of 2400, gave a group of a litte over an inch at 50 yards with open sights. The 1909 has a scope. both were lubed with Felix lube. both sized .315 with Hornady checks, WW's with about 4 inches of 50-50 bar solder per 20 pounds. I will try some different powders next week if the weather holds. We have been lucky the rain has been staying to the south of us.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO

Boolit Buddy
    Just found the time to give this a first cast. I used WW+2%Sn, ladle cast with a Lyman (got to be quick) dipper, 685-725 degrees F.

Mine come out at:

1.005" length
    0.285" GC shank
    0.318" on the drive bands
    0.305" on the upper bands and 0.304" on the nose
    The average weight of 20 was 175 grains each

There was a slight finning but I am sure it was the technique as this was my first six cylinder and I have yet to hit my first casting birthday. I hope to give the 36 Tula 91/30 a few to try this weekend.

Wineman
    Last edited by WineMan; 04-17-2008 at 03:23 PM.