Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Applying graphite to mold tops, sprue plate bottoms, etc.

Applying graphite to mold tops, sprue plate bottoms, etc.

All, Until recently I've applied graphite to various mold surfaces with a soft pencil, sometimes a carpenter's pencil. However, since those mold surfaces are larger than you think and the pencil routine gets old real fast, I began searching for a better way. (Yes, I know about Mold Prep, et al.) While looking for soft lead pencils in an honest-to-goodness art supply store in town (not Michael's), I found a package of graphite sticks, 4 to a package with each being ~1/4" around x 3" long. "Aha!" says I (to myself), "they're just the thing to rub on my molds!" They cost maybe $3, work like a charm and will last a long time. This is "the better way." ...Maven

Boolit Master

How often do you apply graphite to the top of the molds? I did it one time and can still see some graphite and thought that was enough.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

Ed, I do it only when the alloy sticks in the dimpled cavities. Soot from a candle works too, but it doesn't last as long. Casting a la Bruce B will also discourages "the stickies." ...Maven

Boolit Master

Re: Applying graphite to mold tops, sprue plate bottoms, etc

I had some spray moly left over from the "molying craze" daze. Coating the mould top, sprue plate top and bottom works real well in leiu of graphite. In fact, I often do it while the mould's hot...seems to cool it some as well./beagle

Super Moderator

..............Good idea Maven. Another good effect of occassionaly scribbling all ober the blcks and spreu is that you get rid of the lean 'sheen' that starts to build up on top of the high spots.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek

Applying Graphite to Mould Tops, Etc.

Buckshot, That's a great new avatar, though it's too bad Toby's ears had to be left out of the picture. I never realized that you are as tall as the Duke! curmudgeon

All, I purchased a can of NAPA dgf 123 ($7.71 locally) yesterday and will soon try it on a few mold tops, sprue plate bottoms and maybe the cavities as well. I'll report the results as soon as I get them. ...Maven