Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oh, the humanity! (Cowboy ready SKB SxS)

Boolit Grand Master

Things wern't any different in the old days I repaied a Parker gun with 18" tubes a while back it was hocked in a bar in 1890 and the owner cut it down to keep under the bar and now his grandkids are having it RESTORED???

Boolit Master

If you have not been in a competition don't knock it. It is a lot of fun, you can meet lot of good people and you can learn to shoot under stress and with a adrenaline dump.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    If you have not been in a competition don't knock it. It is a lot of fun, you can meet lot of good people and you can learn to shoot under stress and with a adrenaline dump.
    That sounds like the local grizzly bear paintball teams!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Yeah not sure what your getting at waksupi, but I be that's fun too. Bring it on.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Yeah not sure what your getting at waksupi, but I be that's fun too. Bring it on.
    We send out teams every spring. None have ever reported back, so they must be having fun!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Sounds like a high casualty rate! No survivors.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    We send out teams every spring. None have ever reported back, so they must be having fun!
    Yes, but have you seen any multicolored bears?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Nothing better than a cut down and smoothed out SKB. Just sent a 200 out to Fast Eddie
    It's bullet, not "boolit"
    SASS Regulator
    2016 SASS Eastern Division FCGF Champion
    '15 '16 PA St SASS GF Champion

Boolit Master

Why are the resurrected zombie threads from years ago always brought back to life by a newbie?

6 year old thread??

Attachment 281126
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    My grandfather was a REAL cowboy. Worked a line camp near Las Vegas N.M. Believe he wore levis and collarless shirts. Didn't need to dress like a gambler. I have his name. I am the third. Why would I want to dress funny and have an even stupider name. Duck club doesn't ask me to dress funny or have an odd name.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    My grandfather was a REAL cowboy. Worked a line camp near Las Vegas N.M. Believe he wore levis and collarless shirts. Didn't need to dress like a gambler. I have his name. I am the third. Why would I want to dress funny and have an even stupider name. Duck club doesn't ask me to dress funny or have an odd name.
    I grew up on a horse outfit. Been in the family for 100 years. I hate wearing cowboy boots as I would get a switch to my rear if I was caught riding without them. I moved back home a few years ago and was gifted a horse by a co-worker who had too many. That lasted a year. I remembered just how big of a pain and expense horses are. Sold the horse and bought a UTV. Will never make that mistake again. I like riding, and I love horses. But they are ridiculously expensive to own and maintain, and make very little sense in today's world.

I think the fake cowboys are simply trying to escape reality, or cope with the stress and insanity of the modern world. Why else would they spend thousands of dollars pretending to be someone else? They give themselves fantasy names and create an alternate reality. I think it is mostly harmless, but a good therapist would likely be much cheaper.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I think the fake cowboys are simply trying to escape reality, or cope with the stress and insanity of the modern world. Why else would they spend thousands of dollars pretending to be someone else? They give themselves fantasy names and create an alternate reality. I think it is mostly harmless, but a good therapist would likely be much cheaper.
    CAS is somewhat unique in what is called "competition" world. Of course you have very competitive people that game it as much as possible to win. Being the best at something (when lots of other people have the same goals) requires great skill. Speed is much more valued than accuracy and I am an accuracy guy so while the speed component impresses me is not a skill set I value much.

I do value having fun and that is the unique part of CAS. In most competitive shooting sports (if you are not winning) your are not happy. With CAS most of the people do it solely for fun. It mostly is adults reverting back to being being kids shooting tin cans with 22's or cowboys and Indians with cap guns.

One of the local BP shooter loads his shotgun loads for either feather or glitter in addition to the shot. Every time he pulls the trigger you can him him laughing.

I am mostly around type A long range rifle competitors that are very serious. Fun is not part of the equation. For 90% of the CAS shooter fun is the one part of the equation.

They are not pretending to be someone else. The are themselves pretending to be in a different time and place. That place could be very historically correct or it could be full blown B Western.

Way more fun and cheaper than a therapist.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-11-2021 at 01:20 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    As long as they are enjoying shooting and not trying to make me change best of luck to them.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't shoot CAS or any other similar - and to each their own and what they want to do to their firearms.

But . . . have to agree with you on what you are saying. I guess it is like any competition . . there are those that do it for fun and there are those that get so OCD about it that they modify everything. I no longer shoot shotgun but used SXS for a number of years and never had an issue sliding a shell in the chamber in a hurry if needed. I'd like to see just how many nano seconds some of these mods such as chamber chamfer really cut off time wise.

I shot N-SSA for a number of years . . . in the 60s and later in the 80s/90s. I was in it for the fun and enjoyment of it - not only for rifled musket shooting but shooting in cannon competition as well. We had guys on the team that were OCD about everything. While they had to work within the rules . . . there was always a better boolit, a modification or a trick they could get by with to be "faster" and more competitive. I remember one time, while it was customary to rest your ramrod on your bayonet stuck in the ground during a relay - one team shows up with a "magnetic holder" on their belts for the ramrod so they could grab it quicker to reload. Of course, that didn't last long. LOL One night, we were all sitting around the campfire talking and several started talking about how "authentic" they were. I just laughed and told them they were crazy as they all had mods on their rifles, etc. They got a bit upset and I finally told them that if they truly wanted to be "authentic" and truly "competitive", then every one of us should be handed a rifled musket all the same with no modifications and every one of us should be given paper wrapped cartridges with the same minie ball inside and the exact same powder charge . . . truly "authentic" and every one on even ground as far as identical rifled musket - then see who came out on top. They got quiet real quick. LOL

Like I said . . . to each their own and whenever there is a competition, there will be those who will cater to it such as the modified shotguns. They are fitting a "niche" that obviously has a market but I doubt too many serious shotgunners/bird hunters are going to be seriously looking at them. Everyone likes their own flavor of ice cream.

Boolit Master

I shot Cowboy from 1988 until about 2010. Used about every type of Gun allowed in any Class i could shoot in. After the first year I knew I didn't have the time/money to get good enough to win. To Me dressing cowboy and shooting the old guns was like being a kid again and wearing cap pistols to the Drive-in Movies back in my loong gone youth.

I think the gamers ruined the sport, one of the reasons I quit.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123