RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Help on Winchester Model 490?

Boolit Master

Help on Winchester Model 490?

Hi,
    Does anyone have any experience with a Winchester Model 490. .22 semi-automatic that looks like a Win Model 100. I bought one in about mint condition, took it to the range and can't get it to load, much less fire. Unable to get a .22LR to chamber from the magazine. Not enough room to load singly, direct to chamber so I didn't try that. I figured it might be the magazine so I bought another from the internet. The second magazine came in a box marked for Win 490 and it is a Winchester item. But it won't fit in the gun. There is a dimple on the right side, about 3/8" below the magazine lips that prevents it going into the metal block the magazine fits into. No dimple on the magazine that came with the gun. I don't try to check these things out with live ammo, so I got some red plastic snap caps and they won't feed. I did load the magazines only with some live ammo. From the magazine that came with the gun, I can't strip the cartridges with my finger. From the magazine that I bought, they strip out fine. But that magazine won't go into the gun. Funny thing is that the second magazine is marked Winchester on the bottom plate and has a 1919 patent date. Way before Model 490 came along. Magazine that came with the gun is not marked at all. Fits in OK but the front section seems to be too high to let the cartridge feed. I did a couple quick pix so you can see what I am talking about. The second magazine is on the left. Magazine that came with gun is on the right.
    Thanks for any ideas.
    Bruce
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	111700
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottom.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	111701

Looks a lot like like a mod 69 mag.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Could be. After I posted, I tried the magazine with the dimple in another gun, an original Win 52, no letters. It looks the same, fits and locks, but came up a bit too high for the bolt to close. I wonder if Win 490 magazines were marked on the bottom, or anywhere else?

Boolit Master
    Back to the range yesterday, and I think I have it fixed. I cleaned the magazine and found a repro copy of the instruction booklet on the net. Curious, the instructions specifically tell you to load the magazine into the gun with the bolt closed, "BRISKLY PULL the operating handle to the rear fully opening the breech bolt, then IMMEDIATELY RELEASE. " (Emphasis is theirs.) I did it their way and it worked fine. I ran a box and a half, Fiocci HV and Rem Thunderbolts, thru the gun. It fed fine. The only jam I had, a stovepipe on ejection, was when I tried releasing the breech bolt from the stop position. So I guess it is sensitive to technique. I would not have thought that it would make much difference. My Garand, you have the bolt latched back, insert the clip and release the bolt. But that is a totally different piece. The Winchester 490 is a pretty nice gun. Trigger pull is kind of heavy. I have to give it a real trial. Also saw that there was a recall on them. Mine has a star after the serial which means the parts or whatever were changed. I think I am going to put a scope on it, see how accurate it is.

Boolit Mold
    Well I am soon to be the proud owner of a fourth model 490, bought my first one when they came out, second and third this year, fourth one should be here soon.
    Mine never had the recall done, the second one did, the third one no and the fourth
    Has had it done.
    As shown by the asterisk beside the serial number.
    I like these 22 rifles.
    1907 351 Winchester and 1910 401 Winchester, the most fun you can have with your clothes on.