Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wheel weight hoarding

Boolit Master

wheel weight hoarding

I just bought another 600 pounds of scrap WW today. Didn't need those, but the price was damn right at 20$ a bucket.
    There is still another 5 gal worth of ww in that tub but I am starting to think that I will never smelt/use that much lead in my life anyway.

Probably have stacked over 1000 pounds of usable lead so far....

keep hoarding or stop? I almost feel bad for the guy selling me the ww for 20$ a 5 gallon. Big tire shop, emptied the container last year, they probably produce around 5 buckets worth a year. Cant but it all, uh. I mean, what am I going to do with tons and tons of lead anyway. The only thing I see is that I could turn around and sell it for 3x the price I paid for it, but it's not worth my time to hand empty the tub in buckets, then go to the scrap yard, etc etc, in benefit, so it's more a hoarding obsession thing....

Maybe I'll just try to smelt it all during the vacations this summer to get nice ingots and then stack those. I hate stocking pails of scrap ww, it's ugly, dirty, and space inefficient.

Boolit Buddy

Where you located I'll give you $50/bucket. I cannot get my hands on WW in the Detroit area.

Boolit Grand Master

1000 pounds? Piker. Keep going. 1k is barely a good start.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    i wouldn't worry about it....it's the new silver.
    i payed $500 for the 1100 pounds i have.....i don't think I'll have any left in 5 years maybe...
    i bought 300 pounds to try and it had almost no zinc, like 2 or 3 per 5 gallon pail so i ran back and bought it all. Unfortunately i've counted up to 10 valve stems per bucket......they swell up like black marshmallow and i scoop them out. that 300 lbs didn't last 6 months.. i have a few buckets of ingots i use, then remelt the sprue waste and wind up with 2 buckets, then use, re-smelt and than i have one... then it seems like alot of work to smelt it with the clips, but i smelt half a 5 gallon bucket remove most of the clips add whatever ww are left in the bucket,flux ,clean and pour.

What i really need is some of those fancy 3" c-channel 5lb molds like 4 molds with 4 5lb cavitys apiece...what's that 80lbs. it would be so much nicer than handling my 4 4 cavity 1 pounds molds.....i don't have handles and they still too hot through my welding gloves.

Boolit Master
    I thought I'd never use 14Klbs so I sold 5K...down to 4K now and always looking for more.

It makes good trading stock and if you ever need cash in a hurry you can always sell it to a recycler...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    I just bought another 600 pounds of scrap WW today. Didn't need those, but the price was damn right at 20$ a bucket.
    There is still another 5 gal worth of ww in that tub but I am starting to think that I will never smelt/use that much lead in my life anyway.

Probably have stacked over 1000 pounds of usable lead so far....

keep hoarding or stop? I almost feel bad for the guy selling me the ww for 20$ a 5 gallon. Big tire shop, emptied the container last year, they probably produce around 5 buckets worth a year. Cant but it all, uh. I mean, what am I going to do with tons and tons of lead anyway. The only thing I see is that I could turn around and sell it for 3x the price I paid for it, but it's not worth my time to hand empty the tub in buckets, then go to the scrap yard, etc etc, in benefit, so it's more a hoarding obsession thing....

Maybe I'll just try to smelt it all during the vacations this summer to get nice ingots and then stack those. I hate stocking pails of scrap ww, it's ugly, dirty, and space inefficient.
    YOU LEFT A 5 GALLON BUCKETS WORTH????? I don't know what to say. Did you say you left a 5 gallons of COWW?
    I'm not a hoarder but did you say you left a 5 gallons of COWW?

Boolit Master

wheel weight hoarding
    No such thing!
    Personal acquisition would be more correct.
    Last edited by Hickory; 07-19-2014 at 09:11 AM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    1000 pounds?!? I got my own range and I wouldn't stop at 1000 pounds! Pile that stuff up Man!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Le Loup Solitaire
    Just keep hoarding or whatever anyone wants to call it. It'll keep on getting harder to find and there will never be a prob to use it or sell it. If you can build/use a backstop to catch it then do so. An ingot mold even when used occasionally will get your stash into neatly stacked piles, over a period of time. Valve stems, clips, road crud and lots of other things; just skim/scoop it out and chuck it...its part of acquiring a good supply. LLS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfire View Post
    YOU LEFT A 5 GALLON BUCKETS WORTH????? I don't know what to say. Did you say you left a 5 gallons of COWW?
    I'm not a hoarder but did you say you left a 5 gallons of COWW?

yeah I know I might go and pick it up next friday.... but I have no more buckets so I need to go buy a few...
    or maybe tomorrow morning in fact if they are open.

They will have 5 more to sell next year, no worries. except he might realize one day that he should be selling this to me for way more than 20$ for 150 pounds.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Do you have any drywall companies near you? They go through several 5-gallon buckets of "mud" a day and they just throw them out. It washes out of the buckets easily.
    'Same with the 5gal latex paint buckets that painters toss out.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by IraqVet1982 View Post
    I cannot get my hands on WW in the Detroit area.
    In that situation, you'd be better off buying a known alloy from Rotometals.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

A local custom bullet manufacturer here pays 1.29 per pound for wheel weight ingots. If you melt it into ingots, you can post on craigslist and sell if you feel you have too much lead. Lead also sells on ebay all the time and the flat rate boxes are your friend shipping lead. You could easily make enough off of lead to buy say another gun. The tire shop is probably selling to you for what the scrap yards are paying but he doesn't have to send a gopher to sell them when you pick them up.

Boolit Buddy

Pool chlorine tablet buckets work well also, bigger than 5 gal. Last one I found along side of highway, and you know I had to stop and pick it up and recycle it.

Get all that WW and recycle it. Just doing our part to help Mother Nature.

Someone on here used to make ingot molds from channel iron and shipped in a small flat rate box.

Boolit Master

Nice find, Kryogen. Last buckets I tried to buy, each about 2/3 full, the guy wanted $185.00 for the pair. He may still have them. Did you say you left a bucket of WW there? For SHAME!

A thousand pounds isn't as much as it may seem. My best year so far I shot almost 1300 pounds of boolits. Not a contest, though. Actually, yes it was. Seven to nine contests and several practice sessions a month.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    If I remember, a cubic foot of lead weighs around 700 lbs or so. Going by that figure 1k lbs would store easily, even allowing for the increased volume of shape, clips, etc.

Keep scrounging. I just had an old friend GIVE me a steel box with about 200+ lbs........some of it already marked "hard".

Boolit Grand Master

Free or cheap lead is rapidly becoming only a memory. If you want to keep shooting, without paying an arm and a leg, Ya better get all you can while it's still available.
    Lead is poor mans gold. It will get to the point that only rich folks can afford it.
    What good are molds and furnaces without it?

+1 what everyone else has said so far on this thread

No such thing as 'too much lead' or 'too much ammo' or 'too many guns'. Smelt it all down into ingots and if you run low on money you will have many, many people willing to buy it from you.

I'm lucky to have a couple brothers in the auto mechanic field. They give me at least two 5-gal buckets of wheel weights a month. Been smelting and casting like a mad dog due to recent events around the world - soon this 'poor man's gold' will be worth more than gold!

Boolit Master
    went back and bought the rest (1.25 buckets)

So overall, I got 5 full 5 gallons of WW for 100$. probably around 700 pounds or so, which will give I guess around 500 pounds of lead ingots, for a cost of 20 cents a pound.

bought 4 empty 5gal buckets so I can stack more WW, and store clips and trash for the junkyard, etc. buckets are always useful, and I didnt have time to run around trying to get free buckets.

Oh and I don't shoot much.... less than 1000 rounds a year lately. so that would be 32 pounds of 45 ammo. so the 1300 pounds I have stacked so far would last me.... 40 years.
    And one way or the other, I will probably be the guy getting all the range scrap lead to re-melt it. So I have an infinite supply of lead....