Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newbie wants a Star sizer - needs some support for understanding!

Boolit Master

Newbie wants a Star sizer - needs some support for understanding!

Hey folks,
    what would you say, that is needed to start with the Star sizer?

Iīm looking forward to get into this, but want to get the starting costs fixed and do have some understanding problems.
    So I hope it is ok, if I just ask some questions and you guys will help me out?

Of course I need the sizer itself and a die (from lathesmith, what Iīve read here), but what else for one caliber?

"Heated base": Is this temperature regulated or not?
    (Have been using a thick alu-plate which I screwed under my LAMII and laid an electric iron on it. If thatīs it, what the Magma heated base does, I donīt need it I suppose?!)
    Would you recommend the Star heated base, or donīt I need it, or would you recommend another one?

What is the "conversion" for?

Are there seating stems with the dies, or do I have to buy them extra?

Do I have to buy a "die puller" extra or does it come with the sizer?

Iīve heard elsewhere, that the Star doesnīt run with any lube, but do normally use my own.
    Whatīs to consider about that?

Would you recommend anything else for the Star sizer, just to start with it and being not frustrated in the beginning, did I forget anything?

Well, I know, that are a lot questions, but they came by searching and reading around and I didnīt find answers.
    I just donīt want to get me the Star sizer and it wouldnīt run for some reason.
    I hope you will understand, that it would frustrate me terribly, because of 2 weeks or more waiting for just a small "anything" to get shipped over here to Germany to fix a problem.

Hoping and begging for help,
    Jay

Banned
    I would suggest reading ALL the information in the Star section.

Buy a new Magma same as the star.

Die by Lathesmith

Buy Magma's heater and base plate if your unwilling to make your own setup.

The NEW Magma will come with the die puller.

With the heater ANY lube can be used.

There, I have answered a bunch of your questions.

Banned
    You can do like a lot of us have done and make your own PID controlled heater setup. There is a lot of info on this forum complete with manufacturers and part numbers.

The Mypin PID control is cost effective and a lot of people are using them. The Auber PID is more expensive but it programs easier. I went with the Auber and a 300 watt heating element myself.

Banned
    You can do like a lot of us have done and make your own PID controlled heater setup. There is a lot of info on this forum complete with manufacturers and part numbers.

The Mypin PID control is cost effective and a lot of people are using them. The Auber PID is more expensive but it programs easier. I went with the Auber and a 300 watt heating element myself.

Check this heater http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    There, I have answered a bunch of your questions.
    And I highly appreciate this!

So if Iīve understood you right, the Star sizer isnīt the same as the actual Magma?
    Iīve meant this one:
    http://www.magmaengineering.com/prod...ar-lube-sizer/

Very good to hear, that any lube can be used with the heater, great!

So thanks a bunch, 6bg6ga!!

Banned
    There are several very small differences between the Star and the Magma. I have both. One difference is the Star is painted and the Magma isn't.

Banned
    The Magma is the newer version of the Star. They are the same.

Banned
    Picture of both on my aluminum plate. Turn the plate 180 and re-install the heater and probe and the other one is ready to size.

Attachment 110779

Banned
    You will need punches to go with the different dies or you can do as I do and have Lathesmith make you a custom two piece punch. I use the two piece punch that is aproximately .350 diameter for my 357's, 38's, 44's, and 45's

Boolit Master
    Thanks a lot 6bg6ga,
    as I have never seen or worked with a Star / Magma - sizer, I unfortunately donīt understand your setup, but it is good looking so.

Iīve sent a PM to Lathesmith and hope he will answer.

Is he having a website or something?

ADMIN

When you order your die from Chris (lathesmith), order a matching flat punch and a locking nut.
    The locking but had a set screw so you can lock it in place.
    I have a punch and locknut for ever mold i have. This allows me to quickly change dies.

This feature is now a moot point since I am coating all my boolits and don't need to work about getting the lube grooves lined up.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    Again, how can I reach Chris / lathesmith?

Does he have his own website?

Boolit Master
    He's the first guy on this forum with a "sticky" "star dies that I make".......I use Stars heater and their air unit, all this equip. may seem expensive but it is the best stuff out there!

Banned
    If you check out the sticky star section you will find that if you wish to make your own heater and air cylinder setup its very easy and the savings will purchase more dies and such.

Boolit Buddy
    I want one too! For now I will have to make do with my Lyman 450. At least I recently realized one of my dreams and acquired a Dillon 550. The Star is next on my list.

Make that two dreams. I also bought a Forster Co-Ax from a fellow member. Thanks to IllinoisCoyoteHunter for making it happen by taking that smelly old RCBS Big Max off my hands. Kind of miss it though. Had it for about 25 years and it was one big honking strong press!
    -William

"How air ye fixed fer meat, Del?" --John Johnson Crow Killer, The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson

My Feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=stonecrusher

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    GruB Gott,

If you're ordering a bullet sizer from Magma, I suggest you go ahead and order a bullet feeder from them as well and an air cylinder setup to help you automate it later on. This will save you a bit on shipping this items if you find you want them later (and you will, trust me on this).

Because of the voltage outlet difference, I would build my own lube heater using the suggestions/methods mentioned on this forum. It will work better and have better control and possibly be less expensive.

Also, Chris (Lathesmith) is a member of this forum. You can contact him by going to the "attached" threads at the top of this forum. Here's a link to his:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...es-that-I-make

I hope this helps you meine freund. Note: Ich habe dreieinhalb Jahre im Mainz, Deutschland mit wir US Armee.

Tschüss
    Last edited by DaveInFloweryBranchGA; 07-17-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    jayjay, some answers in red in the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay1 View Post
    Hey folks,
    what would you say, that is needed to start with the Star sizer see my other post for this

Iīm looking forward to get into this, but want to get the starting costs fixed and do have some understanding problems.
    So I hope it is ok, if I just ask some questions and you guys will help me out? Buy as much as possible from magma at the first purchase and save money on shipping would be your best decision.

Of course I need the sizer itself and a die (from lathesmith, what Iīve read here), but what else for one caliber? A punch to push the bullet through the die. Lathesmith provides these as well, they are excellent quality.

"Heated base": Is this temperature regulated or not? Yes, but better to make your own.
    (Have been using a thick alu-plate which I screwed under my LAMII and laid an electric iron on it. If thatīs it, what the Magma heated base does, I donīt need it I suppose?!) This will work with a Star, but your best results would be to make the one they suggest for you. Much better quality control and Stars benefit from this the most.

Would you recommend the Star heated base, or donīt I need it, or would you recommend another one? Build your own with a controller attached for very precise temperature control. Not that expensive and worth it.

What is the "conversion" for? To convert the feeder from one caliber to another for different bullet calibers.

Are there seating stems with the dies, or do I have to buy them extra? There are only top punches for Star dies, a seating steam would be to "seat" the bullet in a brass case. You are most likely confusing terminology.

Do I have to buy a "die puller" extra or does it come with the sizer? Does not come with size, but buy one from Lathesmith, it is better made.

Iīve heard elsewhere, that the Star doesnīt run with any lube, but do normally use my own.
    Whatīs to consider about that? It runs with standard lubes, including ones you make. Remove the pressure handle, insert lube. You can even melt the lube and pour it in slowly and get good fill with no air pockets.

Would you recommend anything else for the Star sizer, just to start with it and being not frustrated in the beginning, did I forget anything? I would order the air cylinder, the bullet feeder and whatever caliber conversions you may use in the future. More costly up front, but save money down the road when you don't have to order anything else from Magma. International shipping can be expensive.

Well, I know, that are a lot questions, but they came by searching and reading around and I didnīt find answers. I was taught the only dumb or bad question was a question not asked. People cannot help one another one no one knows anyone needs help.

I just donīt want to get me the Star sizer and it wouldnīt run for some reason. Smart man, keep reading this forum, all the posts about Stars in it. When you get your Star and have problems, ask for help here.

I hope you will understand, that it would frustrate me terribly, because of 2 weeks or more waiting for just a small "anything" to get shipped over here to Germany to fix a problem. You probably won't have failure/breakage problems with a Star. But it's better to order as much as possible in one order so you have it when you're setting your Star up to run.

Hoping and begging for help, No need to beg, we'll help with just question asked. Thanks yous are good, I've said them many times.
    Jay

Boolit Master
    Hallo Dave,

all questions answered, what a super service, thanks a lot!

Great info and I think Iīm good to go now.

I have contacted Chris / lathesmith and will order as soon as we are clear.

Thanks to all of you, Gentlemen,
    my best wishes to ya,
    Jay

Boolit Master
    Hey Sgt. Mike,
    sorry, but I have no idea what you mean with a purple thingy!?

But thanks for the wishes.

Have another question:
    If Iīm lubesizing bullets with only one lube groove, I donīt need to measure it out, right?

I can set the size higher or lower and it will work!?

Boolit Buddy
    Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone thinking of buying a Magma/Star Sizer. I was on the phone with Magma the other day ordering a Master Pot and in a general conversation I mentioned I bought my Star from Star in the mid 80's and I was surprised to see so many on e bay at what seemed like a good price relative to the new ones from them. Apparently a lot of them sold on e bay are damaged and that's why they are for sale. They are bought on e bay then sent to Magma for repair. She said they had quite a few they hadn't been able to get to fixing.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast