Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: parker hale??

I have a P-H 1200 Deluxe in 7mm Mag. It's a great rifle. Mauser action.

Originally, my model had a 2-tone stock with nice spacers.

The rifle is very accurate.

I have seen my model go for 300-800.

There is a Presentation model with some engraving.

There are Varmint models with bull barrels.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The midlands were available here as well. They were virtually half the price of other new sporters. A friend who had a gunshop said the PH mob came accross a warehouse full of 03' bolts and as they are the most expensive part of a bolt gun, built the actions to suit. I had a few friends who had them and I can't remembering them having any trouble. They weren't real flash, but worked ok. The ones I saw were from the same gunshop and if you bought a 100 rounds of ammo off him with the rifle, he would take it to the range come Sunday, set up the scope properly and sight it in, etc. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one, but the rest of PH's products were fine rifles.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

[The Parker-Hale Mauser action is usually a Santa Barbara after some quality control.]

What was referred to above as "original" P-H rifles being the Models 1000, 1100, 1200, etc, isn't quite correct - as P-H made Mauser 98 based sporters in the late 1950's & early 1960's ( before there was such a company as Santa Barbara making them), that were commercial Mauser actions manufactured with the thumb notch in the left receiver wall, but not converted military's - since the scope mounts are integral with the action rings.

I have a .30-06 P-H Safari DeLuxe, so marked on the left receiver rail/wall, that came to the US from Birmingham, England (on the barrel) in a duffle bag in the very early 60's - 1961 IIRC.
    The person who brought it home had found out, over there, that the Safari's were Europe-only models (at that time) - and decided to grab one.

Mine has the integral receiver scope mount dovetails, for the propietary P-H Roll-Off Rings (and the rings, with bottom ring lugs ala Ruger rings), a Circassian Walnut stock w/dark streaking, scnobble forend tip and a modest cheekpiece ahead of an issue rubber recoil pad - which I've finally had to replace last year because it's rubber was crumbling.
    It also came with issue open sights, the folding rear on a small island.

The rifle looks more like the S&W lightweight Model D (?) made by Husqvarna, IMO, than any of the later P-H's - especially the econo models like the Midland, etc.
    Last edited by pietro; 03-30-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have looked at a few PH's and I didnt know that they were a mauser. I have only seen pictures but they look very much like a BSA that I have in 7MM rem mag. Mine has a light colored almost blonde stock with a rosewood forend tip and grip cap. Has anyone else got a BSA rifle?

Boolit Mold
    I just picked up a Parker-Hale 30-06 at a local gun show. Only markings on it other than that are Importer Jana Denver Col Serial # 86XXX. Any ideas on age etc.? It was completely spray painted gloss black. Got it for $120 plus a few primers.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

In process of removing spray paint now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    I just picked up a Parker-Hale 30-06 at a local gun show. Only markings on it other than that are Importer Jana Denver Col Serial # 86XXX. Any ideas on age etc.? It was completely spray painted gloss black. Got it for $120 plus a few primers.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

In process of removing spray paint now.
    What model? At any rate the metal you scored is worth that and then sum

Boolit Mold
    Charger1

I am really not sure the model. I can not find any additional markings on the gun other than BRN.

Just took it to the range and it appears to shoot well, at least better than I expected.

Nash

Hunter's Life forum has a couple of guys on there that are real experts on Parker Hale. One guy's nick is BritHunter.

1200 deluxe had a real nice 2-tone stock. Looks a lot like the Weatherby with high Monte Carlo cheek piece.

I see the PH's go for $800-1000 on Gunbroker in very good condition.

It is Mauser 98 style action.

My bolt body replacement with Interarms X Mauser bolt body did not result in any loss of accuracy. I did have to take it back to 'smith twice for fitting. My brother broke the tips off when shooting a 270 Win round through the Rem. 7mm Mag.
    When all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.

My first deer rifle was a Parker Hale Ser # Z-71xxx. My father picked it up for me in 1969 when I was 13 years old and it's chambered in 30-06. It's been a fine shooter. As for 308 Norma Magnum, I've got a 30 Belted Newton that I use 308 Norma brass for and it's very close. The loading data is about the same. Mine is built on a 03A3 custom action. I picked it up in 1974 and it's still a tack driver. I load it with 69.5 Gr of IMR 4350 with a Nozler 180 partition and WW 120 primers. After all these years it will still shoot 1/2 MOA at 2915 FPS.

Boolit Mold
    More info on the "Custom" black spray paint finished P-H 30-06 I picked up last week.

After black spray paint removal, the marking on barrel and receiver is BNP with a proof crown of some sort. Hinged floor plate, bottom end metal is aluminum or zinc.

The stock is two tone, Weatherby-like in appearance with cut or pressed (can't tell, still has paint issues) line checkering. It did have a high cheek piece but I had to remove it since I shoot leftie.

The bore looks half way decent despite still pushing out green/blue patches after a week of brushing and swabbing with Hoppes No. 9 several times a day.

Turning out to be a good project/beater gun as my first center fire bolt gun (I usually shoot levers). I have probably already gotten my $120 worth of enjoyment out of it.

Nash

[The bore looks half way decent despite still pushing out green/blue patches after a week of brushing and swabbing with Hoppes No. 9 several times a day. ]

You might want to consider running a half-dozen patches/brush, loaded with Hoppe's Copper Solvent, ILO the #9.

I had the same issue, with my son's .300 Win Mag. I wanted to do him the favor of cleaning it for him - but it wasn't cleaning with #9.
    I switched to the copper solvent, and "Presto" ! I was done in another five minutes.

It turned out later, he said he had been shooting solid copper slugs.

Boolit Mold
    Pietro,

Thanks for the advice. I picked up some Hoppes Copper terminator and it slicked up pretty good. Unfortunately, I am in the process of relocating and will not get a chance to shoot it again until I am settled.

Boolit Master
    I have a Safari Deluxe chambered in 3006 that was built before the Santa Barbra actions were used. It has what appears to be a Black Walnut stock that exhibits Fiddleback figure and has a schnobble tip. It has what appears to be machine cut checkering that definetly could benefit from some cleanup with a hand tool. It has a very fine commercial 98 action with the notch for clip in the siderail but where the stripper clip should fit is just a square slot in the rear ring. Serial number is the letter A followed with three digits. I had originally assumed that this action was an FN but an article that I came across in I believe an old Gun Digest stated that they were a commercial version made by CZ and imported into England by Parker Hale. The Santa Barbra action was produced at the La Coruna Arsenal in Spain and was a sound action. When they changed actions they also replaced their fine, semi classic stock with a bastardized Weatherby plank. I have to admit that all that glitz and flash sold a lot of rifles for them. The Santa Barbra action was rough compared to the action that it replaced and I polished the working parts of the action on the couple that I owned. The main thing that I didn't like about the Santa Barbra was the shank on the bolt handle. It was hell for stout. Chunky and unsightly! It lacked the grace of the CZ, FN and Mark X actions. Despite my nit picking it was still a very good rifle. Buy it and don't look back! Neil

Here's some pics of my P-H Safari Deluxe:

(top, above a custom 1931 Winchester M-52)

Boolit Master
    pietro: Beautiful rifle.Looks almost to mine. My rifle does lack the integral scope bases however. It also does not have the sling attachment on the barrel. I have owned it since the late seventies and have no intentions of ever letting go of it. I made that mistake once shortly after aquiring it and then was forced to trade an almost new S&W Model 19 to get it back. I ws wondering about my sanity about that deal for several years as I had almost twice as much money invested in the S&W. I realize now that I most definetly got the best of that deal. It shoots equally well with a load of IMR 4350 behind either 150 or 165 grain jacketed bullets and is the only 3006 that I have owned that will shoot under one inch groups. I have never run a cast boolit through it but that will be remedied this summer. I have shot several Whitetails and Mulies with it but for some reason have never used it on antelope. Hmmm! Neil

Boolit Master
    I really like the looks of that Model 52. How about a little more info on it? I presently have a Model 52A in the rack that is awaiting a similar transformation. Neil

Thanks for the kind words - The M-52 custom is Pre-A, pre-Speedlock, made in 1931 and customized in the 70's or 80's. I'm not sure, because I bought it already done, off a used gun rack, about 8 years ago.

It's pretty typical of customized early target models - the ones that had the medium-heavy barrels, ILO the later bull barrels - done when someone couldn't get a gennie Sporter.
    The barrel was shortened from 28" to 24", and a ramped front sight installed, with the action D/T'd for the scope mounts.
    It was sporterized by a custom gunsmith out of Northwestern Mass (Greenfield ?) - I found out because I ran into him by chance at a gun show a few years ago.
    Last edited by pietro; 05-23-2008 at 08:39 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Nash stated above: "After black spray paint removal, the marking on barrel and receiver is BNP with a proof crown of some sort. Hinged floor plate, bottom end metal is aluminum or zinc."

I came across a rifle the other day with that same proof marking and was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it? Is this a Parker Hale proof and would the receiver be a Santa Barbara? Or is this someone else's proof and would the receiver possibly be made by a different manufacturer? Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Pietro,

You have good taste in guns.
    Last edited by Bass Ackward; 07-03-2008 at 03:21 PM.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Mold

I have a 243 safari super limited edition

I have a 243 safari super limited edition that I have not been able to find an accurate appraisal on, my husband bought the gun for me and I really love it. It is one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot. I like just the iron sights and within about 1/2 diameter I can group all my shots at 100 yds. very quick trigger though. I would love to find another one like it, but havent been forunate enough to have seen one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast