Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: parker hale??

Banned

parker hale??

Gentlemen,

I have the opportunity to pick up a Parker Hale Safari (or Safari deluxe, don't recall at the moment) for what seems to me to be a very low price, because the stock needs refinished. It's chambered in 308 Norma mag, which is a round that has always intrigued me, and I can get it for under $300.00.

Worth it? Even if i have to refinish the stock?

BTW, can 308 Norma brass be formed from any other case? I looked the brass and ammo up on Midway, and they're a bit proud of it.

Thanks for input.

SSB

On Heaven's Range

Parker Hale rifles generally represent good quality for the money. $300 sounds reasonable to me.

.308 Norma is easily formed from .338 Winchester Magnum and 7mm Remington Mag cases.

P-H rifles were widely used in Canada during my decades of residence in that country; everything from the most plain-jane 'conversions' of Lee-Enfields (I once bought one from the Hudson's Bay Company for $9.99!) to some very elaborate Mauser-actionsporters.

It's a good name.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Shawn, I have a set of dies and I think 3 boxes of brass here for the 308 Norma.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Buddy
    I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I spent several years haunting the big Metroplex gunshows, buying "beaters" in deer calibers, cleaning 'em, tightening screws, polishing them up, and sometimes refinishing stocks (never another Remington!)--a very basic refinish, stripping old finish and steaming out dents--and never lost money on one. Of course, my time wasn't worth much-just ask my wife. The Parker-Hale is _probably_ on a Zastava Mauser action with a sliding button safety; be careful with your stock work, and you'll have a very nice rifle.

Boolit Bub
    Got a Parker-Hale 1200 for 8th grade graduation. Still is my no. 1 C/F rifle. Built on a
    Santa-Barbara Mauser action. Not sure how the Safari version differs but sound like a reasonable deal. IH

Boolit Master
    Many moons ago I had a P-H .270 that was the best shooting hunting rifle I ever owned, and I've had lots of tack drivers. It was a GREAT rifle. A friend talked me out of it and I've regretted that sale ever since. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Parker.

I have a Parker Hale in 30-06. Nice action, it has some of the desirable upgardes to it. Mine isn't the best shooter right now but i think the barrel was abused. I'm eyeing a re-barrel in 35 whelen. I would jump on that deal in a heart beat. FYI mine hade a bad stock on I restocked it in a Boyds laminate job.
    Semper Fi

Boolit Grand Master

I've had several PHs over the years and shouldn't have sold/traded any of them off. Excellent Mauser actions and alway great shooters. A friend picked one in '06 up a couple years ago and its a MOA shooter with only free floating the barrel and adjusting the trigger. I pick it up as that is a decent price.

Form cases from .300 Win Mag is the best as you can set the shoulder back so it headspaces to the .308 Norma chamber. Adjust the FL .308 Norma die and size the cases then trim to length. You may want to turn the necks for concentricity. Many times .338 Win Mag cases are a little short in that respect and unwanted stretch at the web occurs.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    The Parker-Hale Mauser action is usually a Santa Barbara after some quality control. Very decent commercial Mauser action.

.308 Norma Mag is a fine, accurate cartridge. Can use 30/338 loading data. Cases are most easily made from .338 WM. Best to go with .300 WM as they be full length.

$300 is a decent price. I'd not hesitate.

I rebuilt one in 7mm Rem Mag into a .458 AR boomer ... works great!

Boolit Buddy
    I have been shooting a .308 Norma mag for 30+ years.
    Mine is on an 03/A3 rechambered.
    I have about 100 308 Norma cases, and make more from 7mm Rem mag. I have tried everything from the 7mm to 375 H&H. The 7mm is the easiest for me. The others end up with thick necks that have to be turned.

Another thing about 7mm is they can be picked up at the range with regularity.
    The cost of 308 Norma ammo was what got me into reloading. They were $25.00 a box when 300 mag was only about $15.00. I started with a Lee Loader. made a lot of ammo with it, only popped two primers that I remember...

In Remebrance

P-H was always pretty good stuff. I'd grab it.

Boolit Mold
    I'd be on it in a *heart beat* can't buy much today for $300.00....... Watch'a waiting for! MM

Banned

one of my first bolts was one in 243 and it was a real shooter but with that 24 inch barrel and long action and monte carlo stock it was just a tad more gun then i wanted in a 243.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    one of my first bolts was one in 243 and it was a real shooter but with that 24 inch barrel and long action and monte carlo stock it was just a tad more gun then i wanted in a 243.
    I still have mine. Yup, .243 Win bought for me by my Mom and Dad for Christmas after I turned 18 in October. Can't remember the price, something like $169.00 or so at J.C. Penny. Had it long enough now that it almost qualifies for C&R status.

That little rat-tail barrel won't take many shots in rapid succession, but if the first one's "on" you donlt need many more.
    Yance
    Fariview, NC

http://outawaysforge.wordpress.com/

http://www.thefcbg.org/

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

Watch the heavy cal ones for a stock split right through magazine. Usually only seen if metal is out. I watched 3 go that way

Boolit Master
    I have a .243 Parker Hale that is a real accurate shooter also but is lousy in the feeding department. I bought it from a guy for cheap along with a nice 6X Weaver. It is a long action too. I don't know if there is a block made for this kind of thing to shorten up the magazine but this seems to be the only problem with this rifle. I also had to buy a set of small-base dies for this one as the chamber was real tight. I'd get it at that price though.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    When I was younger the 308 Norma Magnum was real popular. You don't see many now. They were always touted as being superior to the 300WM because of the longer neck. Should be better for cast I suppose. Parker Hale were always a no nonsense value for money rifle. You couldn't go wrong with that rifle. I'd grab it in a heartbeat if the barrel was ok, but I'd want to be real surethat there wasn't any splits in the stock if I had to rebarrel it as it would add to the rebuild cost (I'd probably buy it anyway, but try and screw the price down a bit ).

I like those old rifles, you can only imagine how many hills they have been carried up and down and how many hunting camps they have seen. I especially like them when I can find out the history.

I'd also just close my eyes and buy 100x new brass, heck you will get your money's worth out of them before they wear out. Most guys are lucky to wear a 100 out if they treat them right.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Man
    I recently gave $350.00 for a Parker-Hale 1200V (heavy barrel-stock) in 25-06 and feel it was a good deal and is very well made in both fit and finish. The action is identical to my Santa Barbara in 7X57 and the bolts interchange perfectly. I would probably grab up the one you have available even though full-house 30-06 is about all I can stand as far as recoil goes for more than a few rounds.

Go for it!

Paul

Boolit Master
    I had a Parker Hale "MIDLAND" 243, and it was pure CRAP! the bolt was a 03 Springfield type bolt of some kind and they designed a cast pot metal action to go around the bolt. They are CRAP@! in so many different ways. First they don't feed for $hit. They won't eject for $hit, and the only scope bases you can get are weaver. Well the weaver would not be so bad but the screws for the bases are two different sizes and you can't just change the screws. The only way to do it is either custom bases or drill and tap for the different sizes. I can't remember but I think the front mount was 6x48? and the back was 8x40? or something like that. After a couple of months of screwing around at Sportsman's Warehouse I went to a gun smith that said get rid of the piece of $hit. He drilled it and tapped it so the mounts that the book said would fit did fit. I put a good scope on it and tried to get a load that would shoot. The primers all cratered even with factory loads. And to make things worse I could not get a group to shoot under 3" and that was with a 243. I traded the gun for a savage 110 tactical 223. I gave 75 bucks and felt like I was on cloud 9. Maybe the Mauser action is a better gun but don't get a MIDLAND! Ron

Yep the midlands were crap but the original Parker Hales - model 1000, 1100 and 1200 were very good firearms. I still own 2 and regret not buying a 1200 in 308 Norma when it turned up at the local gun shop about 25 years ago.
    The model 1000 had a plain hard wood stock, the 100 had a better grade timber with a beavertail fore end and the 1200 had a nicely figured stock with a rollove cheack peice from memory. All had a palm swell - first rifle I ever had with one! Also fron memory I think the 1100 and 1200 had cross bolts while the 1000 did not.
    For 300 bucks I would not even be asking the question I would just buy it!
    Do, or do not. There is no try.
    Yoda