WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got my first Lee Loader!

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent way to start reloading, I started that way myselfin the early ‘60s.

A couple tips;

Get;
    One of the larger MTM storage boxes, one with an internaltray, as it will hold all your reloading stuff.

A plastic headed mallet. These are available at mosthardware/lumber yards.

Some 0000 steel wool to clean the outside of the neck. Asmall tuft wrapped around the neck and twisted does a quick job. May also beused with discretion to clean the outside of the cases.

A clean bore brush one size larger than the caliber you areloading for on a small pistol rod to clean the inside of the necks. Push itstraight in and slightly twist pulling it out. Usually one pass cleans thecarbon and debris out pretty well.

A small screw driver to clean the primer pocket but the Leeprimer pocket cleaner is inexpensive and works well.

The Lee chamfer tool to chamfering the inside of the casemouth and the outside if necessary. A small knife blade will do also for theinside.

The Lee hand priming tool is almost a must unless you wantthe be-jesus scared out of you when a primer pops tapping them in.

A Lee powder funnel, works much better than pouring throughthe sizer.

A tapered punch or needle nosed pliers can be used to flairthe case mouth if you are loading cast bullets.

A loading block to hold the cases that you’ve put powderinto.

Nice, or next to have;

Lee’s powder dippers.

A good powder scale.

A powder trickler.

At least one good reloading manual, Lyman’s is recommended.

A dial caliper.

All the above will fit into the MTM box.

Most of the above will also be required or useful when youadvance to a single or progressive press.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Its hard to believe in this day and age how generous you all are!!!

I just have to look for some bullets and powder once I decide on a load to try. I will try to deal with the LGS first, hopefully they will have what I need.

I have a Lyman 49th and a Lyman 30 cal rifle load data book on the way as well as a RCBS scale found on the site for a great price.

I am an autoglass/bodyman and a confirmed tool junkie, so I should have have most of the other tools I need as well. My uncle was a machinist and I was gifted all his tools when he was unable to work anymore.

One thing I would be interested in is to direct me to some light loads with light bullets. I have 2 kids who enjoy shooting, and I don't want to bruise em up too bad! They both have there own 22's and are pretty good shots. At this rate, I figure I may never get enough 22 ammo to shoot and might as well reload and move up to centerfire!

Thanks again, and I promise to make good use of the help you have provided.

Randy

Boolit Buddy

Speer lists:
    26 gr AA 5744, if you can find any, with their 110 gr Spire point bullets: 1956fps
    29 gr IMR 4227 110 gr Hollow point bullets: 2300fps

A few options in here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Lee&p=2850597

There is always a pinch of pistol powder and some Ought buckshot.

Plenty of light boolit loads in this forum if you search.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Glassman, you might want to consider this digital scale. I have 2 of them and they are as accurate as advertised to xx.01 grains
    http://www.dx.com/p/1-7-lcd-high-pre...1#.U8Cs2UAcjmc
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I did a lot of searching for loads last night and there are a lot of them out there to say the least! From what I read accuracy suffered at the 100 and 110 grain weights and 125 and up worked better for most.

I understand every gun is different and I will have to do some shooting to find out. That the fun part right!

I think I will have to take a list of popular powders, find what is available, and then work the load from there. Midway seemed to have a good bullet selection but not any powder.

I will load j-words for now and add cast boolits after I figure out the basics.

Thanks, Randy

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Glassman, you might want to consider this digital scale. I have 2 of them and they are as accurate as advertised to xx.01 grains
    http://www.dx.com/p/1-7-lcd-high-pre...1#.U8Cs2UAcjmc
    I will save that link, good to know one that is accurate from someone that owns one. I am not sure I buy all the reviews on some sites!

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW; I pay very little (read none) attention to any load data from any forum expert, gun counter clerk, range rat, gun shop guru, or pet loads website. I would highly suggest you confine your load data to a published manual, or three. Even if the friends, etc. are just being helpful with load data, keep to safe well known, tried and true data. For an absolute beginner I'd suggest a load with a tried and true bullet (30-06 mebbe a 150-160 gr., jacketed bullet) with a well known and used powder and powder charge (Varget, IMR 3031, IMR 4895, etc.). When you get the process down pat, then start trying different types of loads...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

I loves me some LeeLoader action.
    I started in the middle with a RockChucker and powder throw, and a whole workbench full of junk I got from my dad.
    First Wildcat I made needed dies, and I figured the LeeLoader looked simpler to make. So i told my wife that's what I want for Christmas.
    As soon as the loader got here, I went out and used it to load a few cases, then I came in and put the dies up for sale.

My wife was shocked and very disappointed that I was selling what she just bought me!
    She said "Honey you should told me I got you the wrong thing!"
    I replied "Baby, you don't understand, you didn't buy me a LeeLoader, you bought me the knowledge of exactly how it works, and that is much more useful than a single tool. You got me exactly the right thing!"
    Since then I have made several loaders for different calibers (including the only one in existence that will reload the 500 Jeffery!). All are slightly different than the original of course, but I am still shocked that my whole reloading operation can be condensed into a kit that fits in my pocket.
    I love the LeeLoaders!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassman66 View Post
    Its hard to believe in this day and age how generous you all are!!!

Randy
    Randy,,,We're pretty much all Republicans! but some Democrats are welcome too.

You have picked the best way to learn the art of reloading ammo that there is. You will learn the basics better this way than any other.

Virtually everything you obtain beyond the basic Lee kit will be used as you progress.

Virtually anything you need to know is here at CastBoolits, however you really need to read and re re-read your loading manuals and learn as much as possible for yourself. We will help if you need clarification of any fine points.

Lyman 49 is one of the best and contains the most information on the actual mechanics of reloading and associated processes, as well as load data from virtually every caliber known to man. It is always my first recommendation.

Welcome to the dance, and my name is Randy too!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-12-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    I saw a bumper sticker the other day and it said "I am not a republican or democrat, I am an AMERICAN and I want my country back!!" I think that about sums me up best!

I have been on this forum for almost 2 years but I have read more in the last couple of weeks than all of the last 2 years!

I am about 50 pages in on the Lee manual that is available for downloading, read my beginners book of reloading, and a ton of info on powder sites. Still a little uncertain on my first loads.

My LGS has IMR 4350, 4064, 8208xbr I believe and H415 and Varget. The carry remington large rifle primers and some hornady bullets. The hornady's or hunting bullets and I know I will be punching paper mostly for now.

I would like to come up with some loads that use what my LGS has in stock if possible and I have seen 4064 and varget in some load data, just not sure what bullet to use. I was thinking jacketed bullet but Missouri Bullet Co. has some 135 and 165 gr. .309 lead bullets and I live 20 miles from those guys.

Any help will be great.

Randy

Boolit Bub
    Congrats and welcome. I started with a 30-06 Lee Loader too, somehow or another it WILL draw a press into your possession, then that press will need some company, then powder measures, oh my!
    **I DIDN'T SEE IT MENTIONED ALREADY but the Lee Loader is only for brass that was fired in YOUR rifle. There's about a 1% chance that any other brass will chamber in your rifle when loaded on it. This is because it neck-sizes only. If your friend has a press you can pick up Lee RGB dies for about $20 and FL size brass. Then you could use the loader to prime/charge/seat if you'd like. It can produce excellent ammo, just be aware of that one catch.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
    Congrats and welcome. I started with a 30-06 Lee Loader too, somehow or another it WILL draw a press into your possession, then that press will need some company, then powder measures, oh my!
    **I DIDN'T SEE IT MENTIONED ALREADY but the Lee Loader is only for brass that was fired in YOUR rifle. There's about a 1% chance that any other brass will chamber in your rifle when loaded on it. This is because it neck-sizes only. If your friend has a press you can pick up Lee RGB dies for about $20 and FL size brass. Then you could use the loader to prime/charge/seat if you'd like. It can produce excellent ammo, just be aware of that one catch.

I was aware of that GrantA and luckily I have some factory ammo that I am going to need to shoot up so I can reload it!!

I only have one rifle, so I don't have to worry about other calibers distracting me either!

I am pretty sure there is a press in my future and I can worry about that after I get the LeeLoader working well for me.

Randy

Boolit Bub
    See if the local shop has Win 760 or H414 powder (they're the same). I have used it under 175 SMK and 165 Hornady SST at around the starting charge as a low-recoil round. Either of those should work fine with the Lee dipper but I think I saw you have a scale coming

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
    See if the local shop has Win 760 or H414 powder (they're the same). I have used it under 175 SMK and 165 Hornady SST at around the starting charge as a low-recoil round. Either of those should work fine with the Lee dipper but I think I saw you have a scale coming
    My LGS has IMR 4350, 4064, 8208xbr I believe and H415 and Varget.

I have seen a lot of the 4350,4964,H415 and Varget in load data. One of the guys at work that reloads told me I should pick my bullet first, then find the load that will work with that bullet. Not really sure of what bullet I want to use yet. For now I am just looking to punch paper.

I have somebody sending me some bullets, but not sure what they are yet. We shall see soon.

The LGS is have a grand opening in a couple of weeks, good deals, door prizes and such. Looking to spend a little money over there maybe.

Randy

Boolit Bub
    I assume you meant H414 as there isn't an H415. Of those I'd choose 4350 or H414 for 30-06. H414 / Win 760 should prove easier to find moving forward than the 4350. Varget is best left to smaller cases like 308 & 223.

I'd suggest getting a powder funnel- the loader did not work favorably for me as a funnel. I recently upgraded from plastic to Satern aluminum funnels and they're definitely worth the extra $10 or less over the plastic- no static cling.
    Last edited by GrantA; 07-16-2014 at 07:21 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Be sure to inspect the part the primer sits on before you hammer down the brass case onto the primer. Mine had the smallest raised bump on it, left from manufacturing, and that rascal would regularly set of primers. Took it out, filed it dead flat and no more surprise bangs.
    And congratulations! I would love to know how many of us got started with one of these, Thanks to Lee a lot of folks are in this hobby.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-16-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glassman66 View Post
    My LGS has IMR 4350, 4064, 8208xbr I believe and H415 and Varget.
    The LGS is have a grand opening in a couple of weeks, good deals, door prizes and such. Looking to spend a little money over there maybe.
    Randy
    I'm a big fan of 4064. That and 4895 were made for the 30'06. They work well in a lot of cartridges of that size. Get yourself several reloading manuals. Lyman was mentioned above. I'll recommend Lyman as well.

Enjoy and load safe.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the advice everyone, I will take it all in and use it!

I picked up a pound of IMR4064 and 4350 along with a box of primers. I received some other goodies by way of George. I will tell all about it soon in the helping hands thread!

Randy

Best light loads? 17gr of H2400 and 150gr lead bullet. I have not tried the little 120gr bullet, but Lee makes a mold for that one. H2400 is getting hard to find. I love the Lee Loaders, sad that they plan to stop making them eventually. I have several and try to add more when I can. I need a custom one in 9mm MAKAROV !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitalair View Post
    Best light loads? 17gr of H2400 and 150gr lead bullet. I have not tried the little 120gr bullet, but Lee makes a mold for that one. H2400 is getting hard to find. I love the Lee Loaders, sad that they plan to stop making them eventually. I have several and try to add more when I can. I need a custom one in 9mm MAKAROV !

Missouri Bullet Co. makes a 115,135, and 165 grain cast boolit I hope to try at a later date. Gonna start with J-words and factory data before moving on to cast boolits.

I would like to do it all, but trying to keep myself on the straight path of learning. Sad part is I waited till I was WAY in my forties to start all this!

Randy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast