RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cap & ball self defence

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I didn't say anything about cowboy shooting. Quick draw is something different. There is a bit of over lap. The guy who taught me, had beat this guy in competition back in the day.
    That's impressive for sure. But even that guy admits the discipline has nothing to do with gun-fighting. Its based on movies. That said, I wouldn't want to get in a duel with him.

There is another video of him on YouTube (its a history channel thing) that shows his draw in ultra slow motion. He cocks the hammer and places his finger on the trigger while its still in the holster . I suppose, with the right holster, you could disengage the safety on a 1911 while still in the holster as well.

Very interesting video waksupi, I'm curious about what he could do with an automatic handgun.
    Last edited by Mik; 08-05-2014 at 05:25 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    My I knew I was a odd fellow, but not this much.

Fly
    If only they knew fly ....if only they knew! HAHAH

M&P shield and 1862 Pocket Police in the head board, 870 HD shotty on the wall next to the bed, one of my 58 remmys on he display wall, and one of my 73 45lcs usaly in the key baket on the counter. A bit of it all. I shoot good with all of them and would use which ever one I grabed if someone broke in and threatend my family. I consider the 870 as the go to though. Wife also has a Rugar mark II in here side heaed board.
    PaGunBuilder. Learning to build the guns that shaped our country.

"Stand your ground! Don't fire unless fired upon! But if they want to have a war, let it begin here!"

Boolit Master
    I suspect that a 44 tricked out with 209 primers would be quite adequate for defense. From what I have read there are very few ftfs.

It might be a spare cylinder which would replace the normal cylinder when you put it away after a day of shooting.

Watch a few actual shootouts (convenience or jewelry store robberies) recorded and posted on YouTube and you will appreciate how rapidly & chaotically things go down. I would not want to be thumbing a single action of any kind while the perp is POPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPOPing at me with a 12-17 round 9mm. C&B is a last resort only. Otherwise you are having a fantasy that could cost you your or your family's life.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Mik, actually Bob passed a couple of years ago, so you do not have to worry about getting in a gun fight with him. Now as to the 2nd part, the single action is the fastest shooting firearm in the world, for the first 3 shots. again the trick to any shooting is hitting what you are supposed to be aiming at, which we all know, so that being said, the single action is under control. While I am not experienced with an auto, I am told the idea of making it hitting what you want, is a real feat. I have seen Munden and others switch from single actions to 1911s, and it takes some effort, as the angle is just enough different that you have to really concentrate to make these kind of shots.
    If you are ever in the St. Louis area, get with me, and I will introduce you to the guys that shoot better than Munden. One is in his 70s, and I can't shoot anywhere near his league.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    (Shoot better than Munden)???????.Sorry not saying your wrong, but I would like to see that.

Fly

Boolit Master
    I know it is difficult to believe, but when these guys were younger, Munden would not shoot against them. Together they hold more titles than I can even remember. several WFDA Fastest in the world, several states, COWS fastest, I can't even begin to list the records. Bob Argonbright and Ron Bright have been shooting since the 50s, and were personal friends of Mundens. I am just saying, that they are still available for live demos if you are in the area, or let me know where you live, and when one or both go to a shoot near you, I can let you know. They are great to just listen to. (btw, they will not say a bad thing against Munden, just admit they outshot him)
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by doc1876 View Post
    I know it is difficult to believe, but when these guys were younger, Munden would not shoot against them. Together they hold more titles than I can even remember. several WFDA Fastest in the world, several states, COWS fastest, I can't even begin to list the records. Bob Argonbright and Ron Bright have been shooting since the 50s, and were personal friends of Mundens. I am just saying, that they are still available for live demos if you are in the area, or let me know where you live, and when one or both go to a shoot near you, I can let you know. They are great to just listen to. (btw, they will not say a bad thing against Munden, just admit they outshot him)
    Sounds like my late friend Jack. Munden would hardly acknowledge him when they ran into each other a few years back.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the offer doc. I'd love to see that live.

Quote Originally Posted by doc1876 View Post
    Mik, actually Bob passed a couple of years ago, so you do not have to worry about getting in a gun fight with him. Now as to the 2nd part, the single action is the fastest shooting firearm in the world, for the first 3 shots. again the trick to any shooting is hitting what you are supposed to be aiming at, which we all know, so that being said, the single action is under control. While I am not experienced with an auto, I am told the idea of making it hitting what you want, is a real feat. I have seen Munden and others switch from single actions to 1911s, and it takes some effort, as the angle is just enough different that you have to really concentrate to make these kind of shots.
    If you are ever in the St. Louis area, get with me, and I will introduce you to the guys that shoot better than Munden. One is in his 70s, and I can't shoot anywhere near his league.
    I think you actually believe that.
    I thought this was a discussion about cap and ball revolvers being used in self defense against home invasion? How does a home owner acquire these trick revolver skills to prepare for a home invasion? If there are three guys breaking into your house from different points, are six shots really going to be better than 15? If you are not experienced with an AUTO, perhaps you should listen to those who are. They do not make hitting your target difficult, they are not slow and cumbersome and whoever told you that hitting a target with a semi-automatic handgun is a real feat, has no idea what they're talking about. You might be a revolver purest but that doesn't detract from the performance of a semi-automatic handgun at all.

Boolit Master
    sorry for the hijack,I keep a 1911 near all times for just that reason, and so do Bob and Ron. Just saying that as good as you are with any kind of a 6 gun, an auto is the way to go in the night when it is confusing.

I would say the gun you're most familiar with is best.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Quote Originally Posted by swathdiver View Post
    I would say the gun you're most familiar with is best.
    you go right ahead and keep thinking that

Boolit Buddy
    I feel like we sometimes have a tendency to pick the guns we like (for whatever reason) and try to convince ourselves they are well suited for the job at hand. I'm guilty of this, we all are.

I love lever action rifles. I so badly want to use them in a self defense role. But they just won't ever be more effective than an ar-15 with multiple 30 round magazines, a light, and an eotech on top.

Lever actions are cooler and better made than modern ar's, but they offer less of everything you need in a gunfight.

I see c&b's the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I feel like we sometimes have a tendency to pick the guns we like (for whatever reason) and try to convince ourselves they are well suited for the job at hand. I'm guilty of this, we all are.

I love lever action rifles. I so badly want to use them in a self defense role. But they just won't ever be more effective than an ar-15 with multiple 30 round magazines, a light, and an eotech on top.

Lever actions are cooler and better made than modern ar's, but they offer less of everything you need in a gunfight.

I see c&b's the same way.
    Where do you want the flowers sent?

I see these guys at the range with their new black rifles with 12lbs of accessories on them, brass everywhere and nary a hole in the black at 25 yards.

I can fill the black with 6 holes at 50 feet on a B-2 and am working on getting all six into the black on the B-16 and B-12 at their respective ranges. When I was younger, had better eyesight and wealthier, I'd shoot 3x5 cards 250x every week or so for years on end from my G23, mostly from 7 yards. There's no comparison, the sixgun is much better.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Master

I can fill the black with 6 holes at 50 feet on a B-2
    You're all set then.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHTC View Post
    Where do you want the flowers sent?
    I don't get it. You feel the same way?

Boolit Buddy
    I see these guys at the range with their new black rifles with 12lbs of accessories on them, brass everywhere and nary a hole in the black at 25 yards.

I can fill the black with 6 holes at 50 feet on a B-2 and am working on getting all six into the black on the B-16 and B-12 at their respective ranges. When I was younger, had better eyesight and wealthier, I'd shoot 3x5 cards 250x every week or so for years on end from my G23, mostly from 7 yards. There's no comparison, the sixgun is much better.
    Well no skill is no skill no matter what you are using. And I have no doubt you'll shoot tighter groups with a single action wheel gun than with a DAO plastic pistol. But, but...I challenge you to find someone who has been in a gunfight who, if forced to do it all over again, would choose a cap and ball revolver.

You might win that one Mik! But I'll ask my buddy who got into a gunfight with some bank robbers recently after I take him to the range and make some black powder smoke. He'll probably stick with his Grock, he's been carrying them on duty for near 25 years.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast