WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cap & ball self defence

Boolit Master
    yea, I remember one time in the '80s when Grandmother was reading the local Kemmerer Gazette, and stated something about "them easterners come out here, and the first thing they want to do is get in a gunfight in the bar, and then wonder why they are in jail"..........I always will cherish that moment. btw, A little smoke is good for you, helps to worm you out.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    A few years back someone questioned how a shootout in and old bar would have happened with cap and ball or any BP gun. So the guy decided to test it out an use an old garden shed that he supposed would be about the size of an old saloon ( not the movie versions). He use an old oil lantern for light to be authentic and a BP revolver. Touching off a shot inside made him sick from the concussion and smoke and he could not see anything do to the smoke.
    I prefer my 1911 and 870 Remington for home defense but if all I had was a cap and ball it would be loaded in the night stand.
    Yea but if I get the first shot off, I shoot to kill.Now say I miss, he can't see me so I can hide & wait till the smoke clears for the next shot,
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Fly Pretty smart Hu! (wink)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Yea but if I get the first shot off, I shoot to kill.Now say I miss, he can't see me so I can hide & wait till the smoke clears for the next shot,
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Fly Pretty smart Hu! (wink)
    I think the general consensus is that a cap and ball is a poor choice for self defense.

I know you really like the idea - no problem there, they are cool guns. But, you have convinced yourself there is some sort of tactical advantage to be had by using an antique weapon to fill the air with smoke. There just isn't.

Do this - place a modern, high-capacity, semi auto with a tactical light on your nightstand next to a 6-shot cap and ball revolver. When its pitch-black and your life depends on it, see if your survival instinct allows you to reach for the gun that has been obsolete for over a century.

It would be a bit like entering a Model T in the Daytona 500.
    Last edited by Mik; 07-16-2014 at 10:51 PM.

A cap & ball is (almost) never used by criminals for self defense or offense because there are such better alternatives.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    Yep! Y'all best think about it too. Any gun is better than no gun. Ask our Founding Fathers, all much smarter than those today.............................
    And when (not if) powder and primers go away, y'all best think about that too.
    Tha's the way this once proud country is going. Just ask the dictator in chief.......................OUT!
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Better or more readily available and common?

You use the weapon you're most familiar with. If Jerry Miculek had a Glock 17 or a Smith & Wesson sixgun on his nightstand which do you think he'd reach for first?
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swathdiver View Post
    Better or more readily available and common?

You use the weapon you're most familiar with. If Jerry Miculek had a Glock 17 or a Smith & Wesson sixgun on his nightstand which do you think he'd reach for first?
    I was in a 3 gun match with Jerry M. several years ago. He shot a semi-auto like everyone else. Well, a lot faster than everyone else as he was overall winner. I never saw one of the pros handicap himself in any way. In fact, they looked for every edge because their overall match times were within fractions of a second of each other.

Maybe we should think of this another way. You're on a boat halfway to the Bahamas when it starts going down. Your choices are a seat cushion that will float for a while, or a rated life jacket with a PLB and a couple signal flares in a pocket. Which one do you want to grab?

I'll bet my life on hard cover, a good light, night sights, and plenty of modern ammo. If anybody wants to bet theirs on something else, have at it, but don't try to convince me it a good idea.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

"night it makes a flash & boom" ---

inside the house any modern gun is going to dish out all of that one can stand especially out in front of the muzzle just my $.02
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    unfortunately at this point in my life i have 3 guns, .22 pistol, .32acp, and a .44 new model army replica. so the .44 is my bedside gun.

having shot many guns in shoot houses, barns, and sheds, ive found the "boom" of a BP gun to be less punishing on the ears than the sharp "crack" of modern smokeless powders.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Ask Kenyon Balleau how well they work.....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Ballew_raid
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Cabelas has a .44 brass frame 1858 for $180. Lop off half that barrel and it could make a nice self protection piece.
    What would be a good way to keep the cylinder pin in place if the loading lever stayed in the box? Anybody seen an original 1858 snubby?
    Like this one?
    http://www.imfdb.org/images/6/60/Nksawnoffcarbine-3.jpg

Banned

I don't think that Ken Ballew arming himself with the Walker had little to do with the outcome of his attack.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Ask Kenyon Balleau how well they work.....
    Yep you got that right, IF you don't like your life as it is fine. a Glock at under 600 is better. Fantasy is fine if you are by yourself with no family.

Boolit Master
    The outcome wouldn't likely have changed had he been armed with anything else. I'm not following the logic, though I certainly would prefer to be armed with something more modern.

I do keep my cap n ball pistol loaded while at home.

Too bad a jury didn't hear the case. I just wonder what is expected of you (the reasonable man concept) when you hear a bunch of inaudible yelling in the hallway outside and heavy banging on the door? You arm yourself and shoot as they emerge into your home. We need more 3 piece suits with a warrant in hand.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Buddy
    People have successfully defended themselves with screw drivers, purses, and rolled up newspaper. That doesn't make them good options when planning for a self defense scenario. Viable in a pinch, but not a component of calculated self defense when so many better options exist.

You can lube your guns with olive oil if you need to, but there is no reason to bypass the CLP if you have it.
    Last edited by Mik; 07-21-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Fly, lot of dead men from cap and balls, reckon they kill dead today just like they did in the late 19th century. Just make the first shot count, no warning shot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by heelerau View Post
    Fly, lot of dead men from cap and balls, reckon they kill dead today just like they did in the late 19th century. Just make the first shot count, no warning shot.
    Not nearly as many as were killed by metallic cartridges.

A lot of the old timers died from bleeding or infection several hours or days later. Since perps end up in the hospital these days they may live to testify against you.
    Hellgate in Orygun

And far more were killed with clubs, swords and arrows.

Anyone else notice how cartridge rounds only penetrate 3-6 water jugs on average, including .308 rifles? Compare that to a Ruger Old Army shooting a conical or round ball, it's double and then some! Bigger wound channels, and usually two holes, not one.
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." - John 3:18

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast