Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Photos from my enlistment on Independence Day forty years ago. July 4, 1974

Banned

1974???? BWAHAHAHA I was born 8 days after you enlisted. Feel old? I was Navy 1992-2010. AT1 Helos, Jets and AIMD. Fair wind and Following seas.

Andy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    1974???? BWAHAHAHA I was born 8 days after you enlisted. Feel old? I was Navy 1992-2010. AT1 Helos, Jets and AIMD. Fair wind and Following seas.

Andy
    I retired AT1 (AW). I knew it was time to retire when I was eating lunch in the chow hall with youngsters that were born after I enlisted! I retired from USS Nimitz. Were you one of them?
    My NECs were Microminiature Component Repair, Instructor, and all NECs related to F-14A Tomcat radar repair including on aircraft and all AIMD test stations for the AWG-9 radar.
    Last edited by BrassMagnet; 06-30-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Congratulations! Gold hash marks don't come easy! We were attached to CVN69 & relieved CVN68 battle group.
    USN EM2 Nuc 76-82 CGN37 7/78 - 8/82

Boolit Master

Now headed to 41 years ago!
    I sure feel old!

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    I have five Good Conduct medals, or as we used to say, "20 years of continuous, undetected crime!"
    Thanks for the laugh Ron and thanks for your service...in the Navy - in the Navy!

No, seriously...

Attachment 143237
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Master

I learned Science, Technology...In the Navy, I sailed the seven seas.

Well mostly. Pacific fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    I learned Science, Technology...In the Navy, I sailed the seven seas.

Well mostly. Pacific fleet.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Master

Seriously, I did learn science and technology.
    I learned electronics in the Navy. Once I left the Navy, I didn't get much respect.
    Dropping out of High School to join the Navy did hurt me. So I went to college and studied, you guessed it, electronics on the GI Bill.
    Now I repair radios, radars, and other high end electronics. It pays pretty well as you can all tell in Swapping & Selling!

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the service! I have been taking in flat screen TV's people are trashing. I won't take ones with bad pixels, broken screens etc. Only ones that have just quit. Usually about $5 in power supply capacitors and I flip them used for $50-200 depending on size. I offer to repair for people at $75hr but most say scrap it I want new

Boolit Master

I enlisted in April of '74, delayed until June and woke up June 26th as an E nothing at Fort Ord.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Enlisted two before you, on Valentines day.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Glad to know more about you, Ron. Love those old pictures.

For my part, I woke up one morning having had a nightmare that I was a 35 year-old bachelor living with my parents. I went to see the army recruiter, and he said "Son, I can help you."

Enlisted USA July 7, 1972, medical corpsman, Honorable Discharge June 28, 1975. In subsequent years I joined the CA Army Guard, and was commissioned through OCS. In my travels, I also served in the Army Guard in TN and PA. Retired in 2003 as the world's oldest living captain.

I was in Germany, in a Pershing missile battalion when Saigon fell. During Desert Storm, I was absolutely certain that the 40th Division from CA would be mobilized. I packed my duffle bag, got a will made, all that. Then the war was over, and we wouldn't have even had time to get our iron off the boat.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Banned

I was 3 months behind you.

Boolit Master

I see I have a lot of "old" friends with military experience back in the old days.
    Could we be the "old guys" that hang out in Swapping & Selling and snatch all of the goodies?

Boolit Buddy

Hooyah AT1. Nice pics.

Boolit Master

Congratulations, and thank you for your service, Brass. I too had visions of being in electronics. I could almost call you "Jeep" - since I retired from the USAF July31, 1974! I was an electronics instructor on the TM-61 Matador, our first cruise missile. Got my FCC Second Class radiophone license, and considered being a station engineer in some Podunk 5,000 watter. Built some of my own ham equipment, including a linear for my SSB (Hammarlund) rig.
    But went to OCS and then to Computer Maintenance school - I was in the first class of Computer Maintenance Officers the AF ever had. Did that, and other comm stuff, but got interested in Psych, and got degrees in that, and worked at it after retirement. So never opened that TV repair shop, never served as station engineer in Podunk, &cetera. One is allowed to change one's goals...
    Glad you are using the skills Uncle Sugar trained you in. One of my goals in life was to do meaningful work, and I believe you are doing that, too. The training we got in trouble-shooting is extremely useful in other endeavors, right?
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Ron - great photos and interesting how things "turn out". A big THANK YOU to you and the others that served. You certainly picked a great day to be sworn in as well . . . couldn't be more appropriate!

Boolit Master

Navy Corpsman HM2 (pronounced Coreman, unlike Zero's pronunciation of Corpse man); joined Sept 1965 and released May of 1969 after spending my last 18 months stuck on a rock in the Pacific (Guam). I will admit, I met some of the best people I've ever hoped to meet and observed some of the worst society has to offer. All in all, I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Boolit Master
    enlisted May 1965 discharged June 1971 USNavy spent most of my time in Nam A big thank you and Welcome Home to all who served

Boolit Master

42 years ago now.
    The time sure flies!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast