Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: As if I didn't have enough to do.

Boolit Master

As if I didn't have enough to do.

I decided to make some changes to a couple rifles.
    I like the trigger guard on my Hawken and my two trigger Renegades. I have two renegades that have a single trigger and after shooting the others for a very long time I have tried to go back and shoot the single trigger guns and I am not having as much luck. I know it is due to my change in shooting styles. So the one big factor besides two triggers, is the trigger guard and how I use it on the Two trigger guns. I like to use the guard to pull the gun snug into the shoulder. With the single trigger gun I just don't hold it or shoot it the same I just can't do it. So I decided to make a change. I added a finger hook to the single trigger guns. I am starting out with one first and if I like it I will change the second. I Brazed the addition on and used a two part epoxy to fill the holes. Then I smoothed it down and Yes, I painted it. I know some of the PC guys are probably gasping but these are hunting guns not PC/HC guns or collector guns. Here are some pictures. Ron

Perm-Banned
    thanks ron for the post. i like the hawken thompson trigger guard for the same reason or a ohio type as their is two finger hooks on them. yours looks very close to the very very top end target side lock pistols of the 1800/s. looks good and im sure makes the gun more steady. how many paperpatch muzzle loaders do you have? always enjoy reading about them.

Boolit Master
    I have a total of 5 rifles and if I find a couple more stocks I could make a couple more. Ron

Boolit Master
    Hey I think it looks great, and if it helps you shoot then why the heck not? Great job on the modification, thanks for posting the pics.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Buddy
    Using a trigger guard as a means to get a steady or more consistent hold from shot to shot is really not inappropriate and was done on many traditional rifles of the past and in fact was used up until the late 1860's when the pistol grip style of stock started showing up. The English used this in their long range target rifles as did the Germans with the muzzle loading schuetzen rifles which had the most elaborate trigger guards of any with a hook for each finger.
    This is an original Thomas Turner circa 1863 - 1868 , with the trigger guard forming the pistol grip.

This is a custom schuetzen muzzle loader I had built using a traditional style trigger guard of the period of the rifle.

Pete

Boolit Grand Master
    Your mod looks good to me.

Boolit Master
    Well that was nicely done! I had to modify my trigger on pieced together flintlock I'm fussing with and kept the original guard for the same reasons that you prefer them... stock weld and stability!

Aloha..

Boolit Master
    Here is an update. I finally got some pictures of the two rifles. The stainless gun is a 1-28 twist Green Mountain. The Blued gun is a 1-18 twist .458 green mountian.
    I am going to try to shoot the 50 some time today if it is not too hot.

Perm-Banned
    those are really good looking reliable hard hitting guns. even the custom stocks ive carved my self i mostly used thompson locks and triggers. i really like the renagade butt plate and have a couple of extras in the shop. ron, do you find the stainless steel barrel easier to clean? my stainless barrel is easier to clean than all the others. it is really accurate also. if i had the cash, all my barrels would have been stainless steel.

Boolit Master
    Not only easier to clean but they are also a lot smoother. I don't have to use lube with these. With my blue guns I have to use lube every time.

Boolit Master
    I think your new guards are elegant and quite beautiful. Nice! Helping you shoot better is just icing on that cake

I think they look fine. And if they help you shoot better that's got to be awesome.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Mold
    That's come craftsmanship there!