Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Slugged my Browning 1886: .456. Does that sound right?

Boolit Buddy

Slugged my Browning 1886: .456. Does that sound right?

So, this morning I hammered a pure lead slug through my Browning 1886 (made in 1986).

Measured afterwards, I cannot seem to find a measurement on it greater than .456 for the bore.

Does that sound right to you guys? Maybe I'm pinching the caliper a bit much? I really don't think that I am. It seems like an honest .456, which seems small. Groove depth seems to be .451.

Boolit Master
    Sounds small to me. My Miroku mics out at .4575. You may have a pinch point in the barrel somewhere.

Boolit Master
    Mine is a nat's eyelash over .458.

Boolit Buddy
    No pinch point. Consistent throughout.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardo1974 View Post
    No pinch point. Consistent throughout.
    Not sure how you'd know that but it's possible that the slug you used isn't big enough to start with. Did you mic the slug you used? Also, do your mics read to three, four, or five places? Are they zeroed/calibrated?

Boolit Buddy
    Well, the slug tapped through with even pressure throughout. I guess anything is possible though - but how likely would there be a pinch point with the bore? The slug began life .459 in diameter. The digital mic goes to 4 places, so around the boolit, it measured between .4560 and .4565 when I took measurements. Put it this way, I am thinking it looks .457 at the biggest, but that's basically me being optimistic.

So all this to say - based on what guys say here, this seems a bit small? Does it matter that my my rifle was made in 1986?

Boolit Master
    Wardo1974, sounds to me like you're right on top of this. I'd say your bore is what you say it is. I don't see a problem here with the bore size. Just use a bullet to work with that size and you're good to go. You used a big enough slug to check it and it sounds like your mic is a good one. I'm thinking it's just a tighter than average bore.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe we get a little retentive about bore sluccing at times. Its .001 at most possibly .002 tight. Depending on who made the barrel that probably falls in specs. Original boreswere all over the range. 45 cals have been found from .455- .464 on original rifles from that time period. Use an appropriatly sized bullet of 20-1 or so and it should shoot fine. I would feel much better with the .001-2 under thna my berrettas barrel that is .002 big .357 bore. Give it an honest chance size bullets to .458 and test it