Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 223 Ruger American Compact.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    It appears that they make the Ranch version in 223 with a Bbl slightly over 16" but the 204 in the Predator version (I think that was it) in 204 has a 22" Bbl.
    The 204 in the compact probably didn't achieve enough sales to survive, but the 223s were flying off the shelves. Who knows?

I bought my 308Win Compact last year in May I think, our range was closed so getting it set up was held up a bit.
    Then I was on the ropes with health matters, the blood thinning meds my cardiologist insisted on didn't work as well as the old Coumadin / Warfrin rat poison (which could be measured unlike the new fangled meds) caused a clot on my heart, which broke off and lodged in my spleen, killing off a third of it. In and out of hospital a few times.
    Consequently, the 308 is still sitting in the safe.
    I must get the lead out and get it rocking!
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 03-20-2021 at 01:50 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I have a .308 compact. Shoots gas checked 180 grains nicely with it's 1/10 twist. I bedded it into a Boyd's laminated stock which makes it a heavy rifle. Shoots great though.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Shoots gas checked 180 grains nicely with it's 1/10 twist.
    That's good to know, I will have to get my moulds out and dusted off, haha.
    I have several group buy moulds, one I loaned to a friend, drops almost 200Gn boolits, he called them cruise missiles.
    I also have the 130Gn soup can group buy mould, that might work as a plinker.
    I missed out on the Ranch Dog 30cal mould that I fancied for my 30/30s.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I used a Lee round nose type and it feeds good. The newer updated magazines don't feed those boolits though.

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago I bought a Ruger 77 Compact in .308 Win from a friend and thought it super as a walking rifle. 20" bbl and some years later bought a Compact R77 MkII in .223. The .308 is accurate and the .223 mediocre, but I've decided to work on it this spring. I shoot only boolets now in the .308 and have had very good luck with the Lee 312-155-2R boolet in the .308, and the 314-299 200 gr Lyman, sized .311".

I've been shooting2400, IMR-4198 and similar powders with good results at 1600-1800 fps and will be experimenting with slower powders for up over 2,000 fps. Had some encouraging groups with H-322 and RL10x so far.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345