Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: How to ventilate my working place in the garage!?

Boolit Master

How to ventilate my working place in the garage!?

Hey guys, couldn´t find anything with the Forum Search.

After casting outside I want to go into my garage (because my neighbours were looking a little concerned and I can cast when it rains, and so on...).

Now I want a good ventilation (and am looking for other ideas for setting up my finally casting place).

Can you help me, please?

Boolit Master

I usually just open my garage door for ventilation while casting in my garage. For smelting though, I only do it outside.

If your garage is air-conditioned and as such, you want to keep the garage door closed, you can build yourself a "fume hood" that sucks air in through the area where you put your hands and blows it out via an air vent and ductwork connected to the top. If you ever took any chemistry courses in high school or college, you probably dealt with fume hoods. They have a glass window on the front that slides upwards. You open it enough for your hands to be able to get underneath it. The exhaust is at the top, so there is a flow of air away from the opening at the bottom of the glass "window". The box and window is easy enough to build. Many people use a bilge blower as an exhaust fan and have the duct work routed outside of the building.

I used this connected to a window that I can open and close http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2935_200402935
    Will suck a fart out of the room. Had to a dimmer switch and only open her up when I flux.
    I would rather fish. Can you shoot fish ?
    ><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`• .¸¸.•´¯[_____]””””””

Boolit Mold
    I put a large window in the back wall of the garage. Leave the window open full time and put a house furnace blower on a small stand right in front of the window.
    Blows everything right out the window.
    What little casting I've done has been about 3' in front of the blower.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a recycled range hood, hung on chains, with a piece of flexible duct out the window. When not in use I hang it higher on the chains, out of the way. I open a door for replacement air.
    Working in an air conditioned area can contaminate the air to the rest of the house, and is like leaving a door open. All the air you exhaust must be replaced, with outdoor hot air.

Since you're in Germany and the weather is probably much like it is here in the U.S. Northwest (I'm guessing here), you could probably just put your casting equipment in your garage and open the door, with a fan blowing across the work area, towards the open garage door and away from you. You could always put up some kind of screen across the open area to keep your nosy neighbors from seeing what you're up to.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 108894I use a 5 gal bucket and a 130cfm 4" blower to exhaust the heat/fumes from the Lee bottom pour

I just open my garage door and have a fan blowing over my shoulder.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    Attachment 108894I use a 5 gal bucket and a 130cfm 4" blower to exhaust the heat/fumes from the Lee bottom pour
    Your attachment is not viewable. I've wondered about possibly using a 55g drum as a fume hood though. Not sure it would be wide enough for me. I figured that by the time I cut a viewing port in there and mounted some glass plus an opening for my arms that it would be as much trouble as a just building a proper rectangular box for a fume hood.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    I simply boarded up my window.

Installed 4 6" 120 volt puter fans years ago.

In the winter when not casting another board over the fans keeps the cold out.

Keep it as simple as that or as fancy as your imagination can create.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Man
    I just set an old (big) window fan on a chair behind me, blowing past me and towards the melting pot. smelting scrap, tho, is done outdoors. I get a ton (literally, a 55 gallon drum) of wheelweights, and cast mostly 20 lbers, in metal pint sized cans, and then just cut the cans off of the lead when it's cooled overnight.

I used the small, 120 volt electric, squirrel-cage type blower motor from an old gas furnace.

I mounted it sideway, several inches above the top of the electric casting furnace. A piece of old 4" steel can is the exhust tube to vent the fumes out of the building.

I tested it by putting boolit lube in the furnace to make smoke. It sucked up all the smokey fumes.