Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: "The Load" and the Garand

Boolit Bub

"The Load" and the Garand

Hello everyone!

So I'm diving in head first into casting and powder coating. Still working on acquiring my equipment, but I was able to cast up some 155 gr boolits on a friends equipment using an old single cavity lee mould 90385 that was given to me. I'll be shooting my first loads hopefully next week. I'm trying them out using unique and imr 4227.

Anyway, doing all my researching on casting bullets, I was informed of Ed Harris' "The Load". I've been searching around, but haven't really come across much talk of anyone using this in a garand. I understand that it more than likely won't cycle the action (which is fine for me, easy way to save the brass), but has anyone tried this? Any exceptionally good, or bad results?

Thanks!

While I have not tried "the load" I have shot 14 grains of blue dot in my 1903A3 with the 311332 bullet. I do have some red dot, may give it a try. the blue dot load shoots extremely well with that bullet. and I can get 500 shots per lb!

Boolit Master
    Read the above sticky
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, I have used it in the form of 16gn N110 behind a Lyman 160gn 311 as cast and checked at .312. That's in a .308 Garand.

Moderator Emeritus
    I think that you would be better of with Harris's "standard" load of 16 gns of 2400 or equivalent.

I have found that to be more consistent than the Red Dot load.

Read his "Cast Bullets and Military Rifles" article that is a sticky here.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by iron brigade View Post
    While I have not tried "the load" I have shot 14 grains of blue dot in my 1903A3 with the 311332 bullet. I do have some red dot, may give it a try. the blue dot load shoots extremely well with that bullet. and I can get 500 shots per lb!
    I'm going to attempt some blue dot dot for 223. please keep me updated if you try the red dot ! thanks for the info
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoats View Post
    Yes, I have used it in the form of 16gn N110 behind a Lyman 160gn 311 as cast and checked at .312. That's in a .308 Garand.
    awesome. thank you for that info
    Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    I think that you would be better of with Harris's "standard" load of 16 gns of 2400 or equivalent.

I have found that to be more consistent than the Red Dot load.

Read his "Cast Bullets and Military Rifles" article that is a sticky here.
    I've been looking for 2400 to no avail here in California. I'll keep looking and try out this load. Thank you for the info. I appreciate it.

Moderator Emeritus
    If you read Harris's article you will see he lists similar burning rate powders, and loads, that you may have near you.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master

I have indeed shot "the load" in my Garand. As you surmise, it won't cycle the action, but it is as accurate in the M1 as in any bolt gun. For relaxed fun shooting its nice not to have to chase brass.

Yep, Plenty of "the load" rounds have been run through my M1s.

No auto loading of course but they are great for getting those less inclined to touch the old war birds for fear of recoil on the bench.