Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to divide powder - safely

Boolit Buddy

Smile How to divide powder - safely

Yesterday I was gifted an 8Lb canister of pistol powder by a GOOD friend.. I really don't have a place to store that size container. I know the labeling says not to place in different container. I understand the possibility of improper labeling but I also would like to know if there is a problem with certain type plastics reacting with the powder chemicals and creating an unsafe condition..

Would appreciate your knowledge, input and your experience

Thanks

Ron

I would think that a container that is opaque (black to help kepp out light), seals tightly to keep out moisture and fits your space would be OK. There is usually a recycling mark on the container that tells what kind of plastic it is. Just match that. They did after all use to store powder in tin cans and wood casks. Make sure you clearly label it in something that won't fade.

Boolit Grand Master

Some plastics do indeed react with powder chemical makeup. Proof is the plastic powder containers on powder measures with powder left in them. They craze and eventually become unusable, or break from the measure.
    Checking the recycle symbol on the bottom of the original container, (PET, PVC, PE, HDPE) and matching it is good advice.
    I'd advise using clear packing tape over the new label to make sure the label stays readable. Some inks fade or smudge if damp.

Heck, have I got a deal for you! I will be through OK city next week and I have some empty 4# 231 containers and will just pick up half of your jug. If you match the types of plastic, you will be great.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

Boolit Master
    Ok, I am going to be the crusty old timer tonight! Yes, you can put it in another container. If you have your heart set on doing so, look for a container that matches the recycling marks on the container the powder came in.

Do I think it's a good idea NO! I do not think it's a good idea! Relabeling/repackaging of chemicals, foods, cleaning products etc., is never a good idea. Too much room for error and misunderstandings. It's just not good reloading practice.

Now queue all the people who will chime in that they do it all the time etc. That may be true! However, it's still not a good idea. YMMV
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Moderator Emeritus

When I look around my shop I see about a dozen 8 pound kegs of powder, and even one 12 pound keg. I can't imagine "not having a place to store that size container". Just put it on a shelf, or in a cabinet.......

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

If you REALLY have to do this, take your smart phone or camera and take photo of current label.
    Print out and Glue/tape to new container.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    When I look around my shop I see about a dozen 8 pound kegs of powder, and even one 12 pound keg. I can't imagine "not having a place to store that size container". Just put it on a shelf, or in a cabinet.......

Fred
    I have one (ancient, bought from a retiring reloader) 12-pound keg of powder.

I don't have a place to store it, so it stays in a family member's safe, and when I need a bit of it, I put it in a plastic cartridge box, transport it, and load it within a couple of days. Hard plastic .22lr boxes (properly taped for storage) work fine thus far.

Besides, have you ever tried to fill a 0.5cc Lee Dipper out of a 12-pound keg?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I always keep my empty 1-pound powder bottles for splitting up a 4-pounder or 8-pounder
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    C.Latch: Just a thought here. Inside a safe is a very dangerous place to keep twelve pounds of powder. On the off chance of a house fire could become a very large bomb. Keep in mind family and first responders. Not a sermon just saying.GP

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    If you REALLY have to do this, take your smart phone or camera and take photo of current label.
    Print out and Glue/tape to new container.
    +1 - I actually peel the original label off the 8-pounder, scan it and print it on a big blank 'self-adhesive' mailing/shipping label with a color printer. 'Almost' looks as good as the original. I then print 8 copies and stick one on every 1-pounder that I am going to transfer the powder to. My powder storage boxes were made to store 1-pound bottles, 8-pounders don't fit.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

I have an old 20# keg of 3031, takes up less space than a 5 gallon bucket. It is so easy to store that I am not sure where its at at the moment...

It is harder to find a place to store milk for my 2 year old than find a place to set an 8lb jug.

How about inside brass cases with bullets on top?

Boolit Grand Master

I've purchased surplus powder that came to me in 1 gal. bleach bottles. When I wanted to break down the 8 lbs. I used 1 qt. bleach bottles (cleaned enough that there was no more chlorine smell). 8 years later my WC820 is still kicking my 265 gr. lead bullets outta my .44 Magnums just as well as it did when I first got it...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Keep it in the same container. It sounds like you don't shoot that much and one of your grand kids or someone else is going to get it in thirty years blow his hand off. They aren't that big. Find a spot. Take it to the next gunshow and sell it and buy a few one pounders? I have inherited and come across those kinds of improvised containers and I always get rid of them for safety reasons because these things will kill those who want to save a few bucks and think they know. I have one I made up myself with pull down powder, and it kills me to have it, it resides in a coffee can.
    Last edited by Suo Gan; 06-21-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Banned

an 8 lb jug of powder ain't much bigger than a jug of milk.
    I have some 1 pound containers that I just re-fill from my 8 pound jugs, and keep the 1 pounder on the bench right behind the press I am using so I can re-fill the hopper as I go.
    I label the hopper with what's in it too.
    a grease pencil works great for this it don't fade on the clear plastic like a paper label will.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use the white #2 bottles that medicine & vitamins come in.....available in various sizes. #2 is what your are after...not necessarily the color....unless you are storing it outside........ in the sun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! White #2 is quite opaque and works extremely well...does not react with nitroglycerine compounds. Powder will react with other common plastics....actually melts it. Ask the guys who leave powder in their loader tubes for extended periods made of certain alloys of plastics!

I always divide my 4 & 8 pounders up into smaller bottles, label them with stick-ons I print on the computer and then store the large remainder in a safe cool place. I prefer to work out of an 8-10 oz bottle than fighting those tall ones any day.

bangerjim

Love Life
    An 8lb jug takes up very little room. However; if you must put it in smaller containers, please ensure that you label them well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    I always keep my empty 1-pound powder bottles for splitting up a 4-pounder or 8-pounder
    What he said ^

Boolit Man
    so put the powder in a paper bag or small cardboard box, then put the containers inside of plastic container. presto, no worry about plastic contacting the powder.

I'm so old, I remember when the rod & gun club would do a bulk purchase
    (think it was 50 or was it 100 pound cardboard drums it came in...)
    and we'd bring brown paper lunch sacks to put our purchased powder into.

Kept just fine.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."