Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: tried Longshot in a load for .38 +p

tried Longshot in a load for .38 +p

Just got back from shooting some new loads in my Ruger GP100 .38. Had some problems with Unique tying up the gun with unburned powder particles a while ago, but got past that tonight. Loaded some Longshot under 158 LSW bullets and really liked it. Mild loads of Unique were slightly more accurate,
    but, wow, the Longshot loads were cleaner and rather...energetic. Like this powder. I'll be using more of this stuff. Anyone else like this stuff?

Boolit Master

I've used it in 40 and 9mm. Need a stout charge to get clean burn. Earned the nickname "loudshot" for a reason. Lots of muzzle blast. Not sure about 38

Boolit Buddy
    Use it in medium loads for 357 magnum and 44 magnum. Works great. Used it earlier in 9mm also but switched to Universal for a milder load.

Boolit Master
    I really like Longshot in 9mm, 40S&W, 45 ACP, and 38 Spc +P loads. It (like Unique) works best in the mid to upper level load ranges where it can develop enough pressure for an efficient burn.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master
    Make sure you're not confusing muzzle blast for velocity. Chronograph time. Subjective impressions are often erroneous with blasty powders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Make sure you're not confusing muzzle blast for velocity. Chronograph time. Subjective impressions are often erroneous with blasty powders.
    The chrongraph is to loads what the dragstrip is to cars. Everyone has a fast car until they hit the track.. I've found very few of my guns will match predicted velocities. Once in a while I get lucky, but not often.

Only criterion I could use was recoil. I knew Longshot had a reputation for louder muzzle blast. It had decidedly stouter recoil and hit lower on target at 50', so I can surmise that the load had higher velocity, i.e. leaving the barrel before the muzzle had risen in recoil. I agree that chronographing the load is the only definitive measure of velocity/energy.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by cbriggs57 View Post
    Just got back from shooting some new loads in my Ruger GP100 .38. Had some problems with Unique tying up the gun with unburned powder particles a while ago, but got past that tonight. Loaded some Longshot under 158 LSW bullets and really liked it. Mild loads of Unique were slightly more accurate,
    but, wow, the Longshot loads were cleaner and rather...energetic. Like this powder. I'll be using more of this stuff. Anyone else like this stuff?
    Longshot is my go to powder for heavy bullets such as 9mm 147gr and 40 180gr. Also works well in 45acp.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

I may be able to use loads in those calibers. What are your loads, if you don't mind sharing? If they're not book loads, you can pm me.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by cbriggs57 View Post
    I may be able to use loads in those calibers. What are your loads, if you don't mind sharing? If they're not book loads, you can pm me.
    I use 'recipes' from http://www.hodgdonreloading.com , QuickLoad software and "Modern Reloading Second Edition by Richard Lee"
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Buddy
    I just tried a batch of Longshot .38 spl +P with 125 gr plated bullets (Xtreme) subbed for XTPs; since I'm shooting out of a .357, just went right to the top end of the load range, 7.0 gr of Longshot. This is supposed to run 1228 fps with standard primers, but the chrono was more like 1025 with a lot of spread out of my Vaquero 4.625". Accuracy wasn't bad, but it was pretty dirty, so combustion seems incomplete. I'm trying another batch with Magnum primers, and seating the bullets deeper (since plated TCFPs are shorter than XTPs.) Plan to move on to cast bullets next, but I'm worried this isn't burning the Longshot very well. Any suggestions?

That was the load I used with 158 grain cast bullets. Burned cleaner than Unique, though 4.7 grains of Unique did seem to group a little tighter. I still have more load development to do, though. I have some 158 gas checked bullets to load, 173 grain Keith style, 105 semiwadcutters, and some 200 grain flat points.

Boolit Mold
    I've been shooting some Longshot 38+P loads in my Ruger Blackhawk. Using 7 grains with xtp's and some plinking rounds with 158 Xtremes over 4.8 grains Longshot. Good powder for the 38, but I haven't gotten the velocities I thought I would. It seems to be readily available, so I grabbed a couple cans while I had a chance.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using Longshot quite a bit lately. It's not as all out at 296, but stouter than 231. Burns clean. Accurate. Starting to be one of my favorite do-it-all powders that I can use in my 9/40/10mm and all my revolvers.

I use it for my 12ga hunting rounds, looks like I'll try it with some 158gr LSWC from my 38. Thanks for sharing

Boolit Buddy
    As an update to my post above, I tried those .38 +P loads with 125 gr plated bullets and with coated cast bullets, 7.0 gr Longshot, but using a magnum CCI primer this time (instead of the original regular SPP). Seated the plated bullets a bit deeper, too (coated bullets seated to the crimp groove.) Much more consistent velocities, even with colder temps (low 40's); cleaner burning and more zip, too. Averaged just over 1100 fps from the same 4.625" barrel with plated (still well under advertised velocity,) a little faster with coated bullets. Can't imagine this is over pressure, given the velocities, but I don't really care since I'm shooting out of a .357. Still you might want to keep this in mind. In my opinion, a much better load with mag primers---ES was under 20, so a big upgrade.

Using Handloader Oct 2016 38 Spl +P data, I like 5.5 grs Longshot and 158 gr SWC…935 fps in my S&W HD 5 inch. Longshot is even “louder” than Power Pistol…
    “Start Low, Work Up Slow”