RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Ruger-only (~32k PSI) .45 Colt loads with medium-fast powders

Boolit Master

Ruger-only (~32k PSI) .45 Colt loads with medium-fast powders

I have a question, folks:

With a 5.5" Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt, I more or less know what velocities I can get with various bullets using 2400, N110, H110, or Lil'Gun.

I also know that a small amount of data exists for Ruger-only loads using faster (I'll call them 'medium fast') powders, such as Blue Dot and 800-x.

Nosler shows 800-x data for a jacketed 250 grain bullet, that if extrapolated to a cast bullet in a 5.5" revolver, would show 800-x giving decently high velocity - halfway or maybe 2/3 of the way up from 14k PSI loads towards the top speeds obtainable with the slower powders in Ruger-only loads. I've extrapolated this data to load a few rounds with stiff charges of 800-x but haven't chronographed them yet.

John Linebaugh has shared load data using HS-6 that very nearly does what I want to do with a revolver.
    Hodgdon has Ruger-only .45 Colt data for Longshot powder that very nearly gets me where I want to be.

Here's the deal: I want to end up with a 270-grain bullet, more or less, running between 1150 and 1300' MV. I realize that I can go past this with the slow powders, and pass it by a great deal. In light of that, in theory, if I can reach my target speed with a faster-burning powder, I might be able to do so with a lighter charge that would be both cheaper and easier on recoil.

So.....in that broad gap between 800-x and H110, what's out there that people have used in the past with good results in hotter .45 Colt loads? It seems as if HS-6, longshot, and 800-x will all reach the low end (1150') of the range I'm looking for.

What else might I try?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Why is the 1150 velocity so important? If accuracy and economy are your stated goals, a subsonic velocity below 1100 fps is not subject to transonic buffeting as the bullet decelerates downrange, and will usually be more accurate, while having entirely adequate energy and penetration which is well proven on game.

Recommended industry practice for Ruger-only loads is for pressures not to exceed about 25,000 cup. That performance is approximated with 10 grains of Unique with a 270-grain cast bullet seated out to the length of the Ruger cylinder. I believe that a great many users on this forum have experience with that popular load and can enlighten you further.

Boolit Master
    I am using 12 grains of BlueDot under a RCBS 45-270SAA and 13 grains BlueDot under a 454424, both with excellent accuracy out of a Ruger Blackhawk with a 7.5" barrel. I believe the velocity meets your expectations.

Boolit Grand Master
    From my notes, I have no pressure data but noted no indications of excess:

Ruger SBH Hunter .45 Colt, 7.5" barrel:

RCBS 270 SAA, WW alloy plus 2% tin sized .452"
    12.5 gr. Hercules Bluedot, Fiocchi LP primer
    Avg velocity of six shots 953 fps.

Same gun..... Lyman 452424 cast of 50/50 WW alloy and linotype, actual weight 235 grs., sized .452

13 grs. HS-6, WLP primer, avg. velocity 1062 fps.
    21 grs. Hodgdon Lil'Gun, WLP primer, avg. velocity 1322 fps.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Buddy
    The Accurate Powders manual I have had load data for exactly the velocities you seek using #7 powder. You should take a look there as #7 is very similar in burn speed to hs-6 and bluedot.

What is a Ruger only 45 colt load's max pressure range? I can pretty easily get a 255gr bullet going that fast with IMR-4227 in a 454 Casull with a 45 colt case and it ends up being a very manageable plinker load but if velocity and pressure are directly related you are looking at mid 20K cup - to mid 30K cup for between 1,100 - 1,300fps but it is a slower powder than the ones you are looking at. The reason I mention it, is lately it has been easy to find(can get 8lbs at a time) and cheap(under $23 a lb) which are at least one of your other criteria.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
    The Accurate Powders manual I have had load data for exactly the velocities you seek using #7 powder. You should take a look there as #7 is very similar in burn speed to hs-6 and bluedot.
    After looking at the Ramshot/AA data online, it appears that #5 and #7, plus Ramshot Silhouette and True Blue, would all produce the results I want.

Thanks! That's precisely what I wanted. Now I just have to find them in stock. Bad thing was, my old LGS before we moved, he had at least one of those in stock....but is now 400 miles away.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Why is the 1150 velocity so important?
    That's a great question but not one I care to argue with anyone about.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
    What is a Ruger only 45 colt load's max pressure range? I can pretty easily get a 255gr bullet going that fast with IMR-4227 in a 454 Casull with a 45 colt case and it ends up being a very manageable plinker load but if velocity and pressure are directly related you are looking at mid 20K cup - to mid 30K cup for between 1,100 - 1,300fps but it is a slower powder than the ones you are looking at. The reason I mention it, is lately it has been easy to find(can get 8lbs at a time) and cheap(under $23 a lb) which are at least one of your other criteria.

I have a bit of 4227 on hand, but have been saving it for my 30-30. I'm really trying to get down in the 13-16 grain charge weight with the .45.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    I am using 12 grains of BlueDot under a RCBS 45-270SAA and 13 grains BlueDot under a 454424, both with excellent accuracy out of a Ruger Blackhawk with a 7.5" barrel. I believe the velocity meets your expectations.
    I've seen Blue Dot once in the last couple of years. I have Green Dot but I know it's too fast for what I want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    From my notes, I have no pressure data but noted no indications of excess:

Ruger SBH Hunter .45 Colt, 7.5" barrel:

RCBS 270 SAA, WW alloy plus 2% tin sized .452"
    12.5 gr. Hercules Bluedot, Fiocchi LP primer
    Avg velocity of six shots 953 fps.

Same gun..... Lyman 452424 cast of 50/50 WW alloy and linotype, actual weight 235 grs., sized .452

13 grs. HS-6, WLP primer, avg. velocity 1062 fps.
    21 grs. Hodgdon Lil'Gun, WLP primer, avg. velocity 1322 fps.

Mmmm....Lil'Gun.

Totally unrelated, but I used less Lil'Gun, in a shorter barrel, to propel a much heavier bullet much faster (262 at 1450' MV) last summer. I'm guessing mine was seated much deeper than yours.

Boolit Bub
    You mentioned Silhouette powder. I just got some and loaded it into some 38 and 45 as a substitute for Unique. It's listed all the way to +P in the 45. It shot very clean! So far, i like it a lot more than Unique! Planning to try it on the heavy side and see how it likes it.

Boolit Master
    I used HS-6 until it got scarce and now get similar relults with True Blue.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    That's a great question but not one I care to argue with anyone about.
    I'm not at all trying to provoke an arguement or flame, just making an observation, based upon experience. There seem to be two "sweet" spots for me where revolver loads shoot well, the first being in the subsonic region, because there is no transonic buffeting taking place. I find this my "happy place" because it is easily attainable with common scrap alloys and economical, fast-burning powders which give a clean burn. When attempting higher velocities for maximum power in hunting ammunition, if accuracy beyond 50- yards is important, then you want to avoid the transonic region around mach 1.1-1.2 if you can, ensuring muzzle velocity is high enough that projectile velocity does not decay below the speed of sound before reaching the target.

In my experience, if you can't drive your full throttle handgun loads over about 1250 fps, it is best to roll them back keep them below 1100.

A working range of 1050 +/- 30 fps is used for .22 rimfire match ammunition for good reason, and I find that sufficient for heavy revolver loads with proper bullets.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, probably going to be AA #7 with the current powders on the market. #7 will burn dirty up until you hit the mid 20K area. I have a bit of True Blue and worked with it for a short while and it's a good powder for midloads but not as good as #7 IMO. Now if they still made HS-7 and a while back I did work on trying to find a powder that would replace it for mid Ruger only 45 Colt and 454 Casull loads and after it all AA#7 is the closest.

Boolit Bub
    I'd suggest an article by Brian Pearce in HANDLOADER #246. In it he loads 3 differant .45 colts loads, 14,000psi; 20,000psi; and 32,000psi. Loads were developed in a 5.5" Ruger ss Bisley using the 270SAA cast bullet and several powders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
    I'd suggest an article by Brian Pearce in HANDLOADER #246. In it he loads 3 differant .45 colts loads, 14,000psi; 20,000psi; and 32,000psi. Loads were developed in a 5.5" Ruger ss Bisley using the 270SAA cast bullet and several powders.
    Read that article back when I was shooting the Keith 280 grainer:
    http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazin...246partial.pdf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I'm not at all trying to provoke an arguement or flame, just making an observation, based upon experience. There seem to be two "sweet" spots for me where revolver loads shoot well, the first being in the subsonic region, because there is no transonic buffeting taking place. I find this my "happy place" because it is easily attainable with common scrap alloys and economical, fast-burning powders which give a clean burn. When attempting higher velocities for maximum power in hunting ammunition, if accuracy beyond 50- yards is important, then you want to avoid the transonic region around mach 1.1-1.2 if you can, ensuring muzzle velocity is high enough that projectile velocity does not decay below the speed of sound before reaching the target.

In my experience, if you can't drive your full throttle handgun loads over about 1250 fps, it is best to roll them back keep them below 1100.

A working range of 1050 +/- 30 fps is used for .22 rimfire match ammunition for good reason, and I find that sufficient for heavy revolver loads with proper bullets.
    Hmmm. Time to get out my notes and chronograph. That may explain why I struggle at times with the same load will shoot well in my revolvers and lever action rifles.

You might also consider Rex II. It was very reasonably priced, and produced velocities and recoil in the area you are wanting. It also worked well in powder meters and on a progressive loader. Burns clean. To my knowledge their is no published data for the .45 Colt, but their is for .45 ACP. Green Dot is a comparable powder. I found happiness in the 9-9.5 range with a 280 grain bullet.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman