Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: WW's, a new twist

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory

Exclamation WW's, a new twist

Stopped in tire shop today where I buy my tires to ask about ww's.
    Owner told me that he was going to start reusing the weights that are useable.
    Said his last buy of ww's cost him $600.00 for about 200#.
    This is the second place that I have heard of this.
    Good news is that he said I could have the ones he cannot reuse.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Buddy
    Most tire shops won't reuse them because the used ones have a habit of flying off.
    NRA Endowment Member

Moderator Emeritus

They also have a habit of coming off while the balance machine is spinning them. Not a fine experience. G
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I've been told about the reusing deal and Iwonder if that is approved for repair work? I know they are trying to save a buck, but it could become a hazard.

Boolit Grand Master

A few stations around here have been reusing them for years. I worked at a station that was doing it back in 1975.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The busy shops don't have the time to pick and choose. The busy shops are those which do a good job. Like picking a restaurant when tooling down the hiway. No cars, no stoppie. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

I would think that any damage to the cars body or wheel well from a WW flying off would be the responsiblilty of the tire shop. Can you tell by looking if a weight will be suitable for re-use? I don't know how much the cost of new weights would average per tire but I do know one customer lost is one too many.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    At the price they charge to balance a tire They better put new weights on ALL tires. The price given here was $3.00 per # In the 25 years I worked in a Sears garage I do not remember ONE time a tire took 16 ounces to balance a tire. If it took over about 8 ounces it was time for a brake because you were doing something wrong. IMHO I would not do business with someone who cuts expenses this way. Who knows if they do the same thing on the maintenance of the balancer. Do you really get as accurate a balance as you should have? BWB

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I was told by one shop here in Montana, it is illegal to re-use wheel weights.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Other than cosmetics and the time factor I see no problem reusing wheel wts. If they recrimp the clip before they instal it it will hold as well as a new one. Balancing is a big money maker IMO and the big problem for the dealer is the looks of an old ww when you are charging $7-$8 a wheel to balance.

I also heard in different states that it is illegal to re-use WW IF you charge for balancing. IE Rotate and Balance = XX$ - if it is Rotate your tires and we balance also for free - then used could be used.

Of course both examples above COST the same.

Drew
    Big Bore = 45+

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Don't shoot, I'm just the messenger.

Stopped at another tire shop today, was told that they are also reusing their old ww's.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

When material costs rise, you just pass it on to the customer. Mebbe I should get some WW molds made. J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

What I found yesterday (in OK, anyway) was many of the "budget" shops would reuse their WW, while the big chains sent the used ones off for recycling.

local garage usually sells them but gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. Handed me fifty pounds and promised all the WW's he got in the future as long as I cast him some 357 boolits once in a while.

Boolit Master

A local shop here reuses theirs that are in good condition. He cleans them off and re-paints them. I get all the stuff he can't re-use.