Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scam alert!

Boolit Master

Scam alert!

About 4:30pm EST I recieved a landline phone call from "Apu" from Micro$oft" alerting me I have been infected/affected by some foreign substance in my computer.
    This barely literate, Indian *** wanted access to my machine to help me remove the threat. (Interesting, already on line, firewall installed)
    I responded by requesting an Micro$oft link to verify and resolution to this alleged issue, and his tone changed. Insisting this needed done, I told him "NO" His tone changed again to a bleating, pleading hysterical plea for me to help him.

Ran my usual stuff. Contacted Micro$oft, not too much help there. Everything comes up clean.

Still working on it.

Just a heads up to members to beware what "Apu" wants from you.................................

Mods....move this to a more appropriate place if you feel the need....................
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Moderator Emeritus

I've had the same call. When I told them to add me to their do not call list they hung up.
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    It's called caller ID! If I do not know who it is, I do not answer!

banger

They have called me 3 times. First time I was fairly reasonable.

Ok, so you work for MS, then you can tell me what version of windows I am running.

"Ohhh no we only have this !@#$%^& number. "

Yes and if anyone was actually doing what you are saying your doing they would know which number I have, what range if falls into would indicate which version of windows I'm running, since you obviously have no clue your a scammer, have a crappy day, get lost, don't call me again.

From there it has gone downhill.

Now when they call I ask for their phone number so I can insta report them to our Better Business Bureau.

They get VERY quiet and defensive.

Warn your friends and family, give them NOTHING. Acknowledge NOTHING. Hang up

Boolit Master

I've had those several times the first time they almost got my wife. She was on the verge of giving them her information when I came into the room and had that puzzled look and she proceeded to explain what was going on. I said it sounds like a scam and we hung up.
    Jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

I ask them if their mothers know their sons are working as liars and frauds. Then they get defensive and tell me this is a legitimate call.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    It's called caller ID! If I do not know who it is, I do not answer!

banger
    This must be a part of aging. My kids go nuts because I won't answer the phone if I don't know who it is, cell phone included. My kids are amazed. Why don't you answer the phone? I don't even want to talk to people I know on the phone and people I don't know? Forget it.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    My work phone has caller id, most every spam call for any reason be it busness loans, sales of card services or your free google listing and this latist ms scam are all caller no id or caller blocked.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    If I am in the mood to actually answer it, I do everything I can to keep them on the line as long as possible feeding them garbage in the most innocent tone I can manage. When they finally get to the point of hanging up they either get a taste of a Marine rescue whistle or I make some physiologically impossible suggestion,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 500MAG View Post
    This must be a part of aging. My kids go nuts because I won't answer the phone if I don't know who it is, cell phone included. My kids are amazed. Why don't you answer the phone? I don't even want to talk to people I know on the phone and people I don't know? Forget it.
    Ditto. I don't have a landline at home and won't answer my cell unless I know who it is. Most times I don't even answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. I talk to people all day for a living, not wild about doing it for free when I get home.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I just had a phone call. A lady said she would like me to do a brief survey. I told her I wear boxers, and hung up. Why can't all of them keep their surveys short like this?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I do not have internet at home. Sooo, I get a call a while back saying I need a security upgrade on my computer. well, I was feeling froggy, so I got out the laptop (which by the way, is still not connected to the WWW) and go thru the motions.

Follow his instructions and he can't get connected. Then i ask "oh, do you need internet to do this fix?"

He replies "Of course."

Me - Oh sorry to waste your time. I don't have internet service here.

Him - silence.........click

Thank you for let know about the scam .I will be on the look out for it.Also for what is posted of what some have done I might just use some of it myself.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned
    I simply tell them I am on a do not call list and this call has been logged. Been bothered with the *** indian that can't talk and told him to go * himself.
    If they keep running their mouths I simply hang up.

Boolit Master

My wife bought into this. By the time I found out about it, she had spent 400 bucks - on the debit card. Me and the kids explained to her it was a scam. You don't want to do that to my wife.
    She called them back and said something like "I will make your life hell if you don't give my money back." She got the money back. Lesson learned. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Bub
    I always ask them a bunch of really stupid questions, like how to turn the computer on. The sad thing is, if people weren't falling for it, they wouldn't do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 500MAG View Post
    Exactly!

My caller ID gives the name of the caller & then switches to the number and back & forth. The latest thing in calls I get are from me! Phone rings and the name says "Unknown" then the number comes up and it's my phone number, I just let it ring but for some reason I never leave myself a message. I wonder what I want?

I get 4-5 sales calls a day & most have the name blocked, I recognize both the name and the number or I don't answer.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    About 4:30pm EST I recieved a landline phone call from "Apu" from Micro$oft" alerting me I have been infected/affected by some foreign substance in my computer.
    This barely literate, Indian *** wanted access to my machine to help me remove the threat. (Interesting, already on line, firewall installed)
    I responded by requesting an Micro$oft link to verify and resolution to this alleged issue, and his tone changed. Insisting this needed done, I told him "NO" His tone changed again to a bleating, pleading hysterical plea for me to help him.

Ran my usual stuff. Contacted Micro$oft, not too much help there. Everything comes up clean.

Still working on it.

Just a heads up to members to beware what "Apu" wants from you.................................

Mods....move this to a more appropriate place if you feel the need....................
    A get those calls at least once per year, you would think that they would keep track. Personally I enjoy talking to them and saying things (like rude insults) that I would never 'normally' say to another human being. Good way to vent I guess

I also did buy the Digitone Call Blocker and once I get a phone call from someone that I don't want to ever talk to again, I tell the Digitone Call Blocker to 'block' that number from now till the end of time. When they call back, I hear the phone ring one time and if the number is on the 'blocked list', the device hangs up the phone, lol… Best $99 I ever spent
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master

Now thats too funny Rick!

I always find these conversations end quickly when I respond with " Have you welcomed Jesus into your life?"
    " A politician is the lowest form of life on earth. A liberal Democrat is the lowest form of politician" George S Patton

The dead don't know they are dead. It only affects those around them.
    It's the same with stupid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast