Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee REAL in slow twist barrels

Banned

Lee REAL in slow twist barrels

Has anyone tried the Lee 250 grain REAL in a 1 in 66" twist? They seem awfully short, just not sure if they are that short.

Bottom line, I've always shot various conicals in my .50s, recently got a 1 in 66" rifle I want to shoot. Thought I had a .490 ball mold around, but don't. I do have the REAL mold. It would be nice if this bullet would work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Lee 250 grain REAL in a 1 in 66" twist? They seem awfully short, just not sure if they are that short.

Bottom line, I've always shot various conicals in my .50s, recently got a 1 in 66" rifle I want to shoot. Thought I had a .490 ball mold around, but don't. I do have the REAL mold. It would be nice if this bullet would work.
    I've not shot the real in my long twists, but the 250 might stabilize especially with slightly heavier loads. I'd try it at any rate. I size my REALS in 50 caliber to .503 in order that kids can more easily load them.
    Last edited by Rattus58; 06-11-2014 at 08:48 PM. Reason: error in size of die.

Boolit Master

I do think there is a chance that the reals would work in a twist that long I cast the 250,real and they are short.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus58 View Post
    ...... I size my REALS in 50 caliber to .504 in order that kids can more easily load them.
    With what?

Banned

Well, I have a .495 RB mold on the way and some patches. I've only ever really shot PRB from pistols, and I prefer the loading ease f the REALs. Guess I'll try both, if the REALs work, I'll have my hunting bullet.

Perma-Banned
    the lee reals in the lighter weights are pretty much all I use in my roundball twist barrels. probably not "match" accurate but shoot good enough to suit me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    the lee reals in the lighter weights are pretty much all I use in my roundball twist barrels. probably not "match" accurate but shoot good enough to suit me.
    "Minute of Bambi" is what I'm looking for. Thanks very much, I think I have some already cast up, I'll give them a try first.

Boolit Master
    I've tried those in my older CVA hawken with the slow twist, at fifty yards they did ok, they were acurate enough to kill a deer, but I stayed with PRB. They do shoot better in my T/C hawken, that reminds me I've got to back on that one!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    With what?
    a .503 sizing die that I got from Rapine bullet mold to size my .504 440 grain Rapine bullets for use in White Muzzleloaders. I've since changed my mind about sizing to .001 under bore size for hunting after I lost a bullet in hot temperatures. I erred on my first post with the .504.. it is actually .503 that I'm looking at as we speak.

Boolit Grand Master

I shot the 200gr REAL in my 45 w/1-66. Didn't shoot great but good enough for deer. Seemed to have a flier one out of every 3 so I think it was on the edge of stability. Should work a little better in a 50 since it is a bigger caliber. Only firing will tell.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    yee got nothin to lose but 4 oz. of lead and 400 gr. of powder. velocity is not near as important as good grouping.

In Remembrance

I use the 200 grain .45 REAL in my 1 in 60 twist rifle, and the 250 .50 REAL in my 1 in 66 rifles with good accuracy once I figured out the load. One thing I have found to be almost universal using the REAL bullet is that accuracy depends on using a wad under them. A 1/8 card wad or hard felt that seals the bore really helps in the accuracy department as does a uniform barrel condition. Over-lubing will result in fliers--use only enough to fill the bottom groove for best results. You don't have to push these real hard to get both accuracy and effectiveness.

Boolit Master
    Well what I get from the replies is the reals are not as accurate.Let say at 50 yards, how much
    difference as to a prb?
    Fly

Perma-Banned
    if I had the confidence in my gun/load to shoot at a deer at 50 to 75 yds with a roundball i'd have the same confidence in a r.e.a.l. boolit. for what it's worth & have a good'en, bubba.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Virtually all of the shortest REAL type bullets work in appropriate diameter dimensioned slow twist M/L bores. Some by design, some can be patched up to size with paper or cloth patches, and some of the shorter pistol bullets do well to. The standard 38-40 WCF lead bullet works well in a modern 40 caliber M/L, or in a 40 S&W for example.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    if I had the confidence in my gun/load to shoot at a deer at 50 to 75 yds with a roundball i'd have the same confidence in a r.e.a.l. boolit. for what it's worth & have a good'en, bubba.
    That's pretty much what I need to know. I've got ten pounds of spent .177 air rifle pellets I'm going to cast into .495 RBs when I get a chance and I have some .50 cal REALs around here somewhere. It's gonna be a couple of weeks til I can get the rifle to a range and shoot it, but if the REALs work about as well as RBs then that's what I'll use.

Glad yall brought this up. Reminded me that I been meaning to try the REAL with a short greased patch on the base in a 60" twist .58.
    The bore is big enough that the REAL wallows around until the front ring gets some bite.

Question on the .50 REAL and the 66" twist...
    Is that in a Great Plains Rifle? Does it need to be loaded hot enough to make it fill out the deep grooves?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Well what I get from the replies is the reals are not as accurate.Let say at 50 yards, how much
    difference as to a prb?
    Fly
    You experience may vary, but a patched round ball in my experience is one of the most accurate projectiles out there... especially to 50 yards.

Aloha..

Boolit Master
    I have started to experiment with the 250 gr. 50 cal. real. accuracy is promising in my 1-48 twist. so far my best is 2.5 inches with 1 jerk flinch flyer. age is catchin up. 70 gr. pyrodex rs.

Boolit Bub
    The 250gr REAL is the most accurate round in my old CVA mountain rifle as long as I use a greased felt wad beneath it. Charges can vary as long as I use the felt wad. I have never been able to equal it with a PRB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast