MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Martini Cadet 32 Winchester special

Martini Cadet 32 Winchester special

Is anyone loading the 32 win spec. for the Martini Cadet? Recently traded for one and was wondering what others are doing. Maybe even PP for it?

Boolit Master

I just recently got a '94 Winchester in .32 Winchester Special, and am patching the rounds for it. In fact, they are sitting, waiting to go, as soon as I can make it to the range. Is the Cadet up to the pressures of the Special? Mine are mild to medium, to see what my Winny likes. Always wanted a Martini. mikey

Are you sure it's chambered 32 Win spec?

Most Martini Cadets were "re-chambered" to 32/20 simply by running a reamer in to deepen the rim recess and left the rest of the 310 Cadet chamber untouched. Problem was that the bore is generally way too big for 32/20, so they got an undeserved reputation for being inaccurate.

I have an unmolested Martini Cadet still in original 310 Cadet chambering and with the correct heeled boolit, it shoots well.

If yours is indeed a 32/20, treat it like a 310 Cadet, slug the bore and order a mould from CBE to the correct diameter.

http://www.castbulletengineering.com...onth/june-2014

http://www.castbulletengineering.com...ifle/310-cadet

Boolit Grand Master
    Norbrat, there were a lot of Cadets rechambered for the .32 Winchester Special back in the 50's and 60's, by importers when they were brought into the U.S.

I am not saying it was a wise move, but it was done. Personally, I always thought the Martini Cadets were best suited to cases no larger than the .357 Magnum in diameter.

Robert

Righto, always happy to stand corrected!

Quite aside from the power of the 32 Win Special in the little Martini action, it would seem a long cartridge to try to wrangle into the chamber, although the neck would make it a bit easier.

Still, I suppose everything has been tried to make the Martini more desirable for selling in the USA, even though it's a nice rifle and the 310 Cadet is a good low power calibre in its own right.

Yes it is a 32 win spec. Just want to use cast bullets in it for hunting the small deer we have here in MO. Was thinking also about PP

Boolit Master
    I have heard of these. I believe they were just rechambered? I would check the bore, throat, and twist. You might be limited on what fits and stabilizes.

Boolit Master

I have one in 30-30, but have not yet shot cast in it. I can not put enough H4895 in the case to reach pressure concerns in my Contender. Have not worked up loads for the Martini yet.

Boolit Master
    I remember back in the 1950s when the little cadet rifles were being imported and as I recall they sold for about fifteen dollars. Most had their chamber cut to 32-20 but some were done in 32 SPL. A firearms dealer told me he thought the chamber diameter was too small for the 32-SPL case so to prove it to himself he broke one over his knee. I think the recoil in the Winchester '94 is pretty stiff. I would hate to fire the little Martini in that caliber. I had one in 218 Bee and parting with it is one of my big regrets.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I had one in 218 Bee and parting with it is one of my big regrets.I did the same dumb axx thing with one I had in 218 bee. and kicked my self ever sense. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I remember back in the 1950s when the little cadet rifles were being imported and as I recall they sold for about fifteen dollars. Most had their chamber cut to 32-20 but some were done in 32 SPL. A firearms dealer told me he thought the chamber diameter was too small for the 32-SPL case so to prove it to himself he broke one over his knee. I think the recoil in the Winchester '94 is pretty stiff. I would hate to fire the little Martini in that caliber. I had one in 218 Bee and parting with it is one of my big regrets.
    Do you mean the chamber walls were to thin. Is this were he broke the rifle over his knee? Why would the 32 spec. be any different then those re-barreled to 30-30 cadets?
    Last edited by brstevns; 06-11-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Do you mean the chamber walls were to thin. Is this were he broke the rifle over his knee? Why would the 32 spec. be any different then those re-barreled to 30-30 cadets?
    It wouldn't have made any difference but they didn't recut the chambers to 30-30. The 308 bullet would have been too small for the cadet barrel. Actually the 32-20 is also too small but not as much.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Yes you are correct. I meant those that have had the cadet rebarreled to 30-30.

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    It wouldn't have made any difference but they didn't recut the chambers to 30-30. The 308 bullet would have been too small for the cadet barrel. Actually the 32-20 is also too small but not as much.

Boolit Bub
    i have one of the 32 specials; i've found half a dozen molds for it, from 120gr to 165gr. so far, best results for deer loads have been with a 134gr gascheck and a 151gr flat base; both are pretty accurate in the 1600-1900 ft/sec range. for plinkers, i shoot nambu bullets (or boolits), cadet boolits, or 115gr flat bases with trailboss or 4759. 32-40 loads are do-able, but the 165-170gr boolits are too long to stabilize at the speeds i need to shoot them--the little rascal is too light to shoot full-deck 32 special loads without serious shoulder damage. look for the 321427, the 321298, and the 323059 on gb or ebay; they'll all work.
    mind yer topknot!
    windy

Boolit Master
    Well, what's done is done, and not many of us thump rifles across our knees. The .32 Special Cadet can be used. But it was a bad conversion to choose. The Cadet rifling twist is too slow, and I would indeed expect a failure to stabilize heavy bullets. Reduced velocity loads will not improved that - worsen it, if anything. The recoil is likely to be unpleasant, and it will be difficult to insert that big round under a scope, if mounted in the best position, or to be sure that it will always eject clear of the breech.

The only reason I can see to use the round is to make a deer rifle of it. It will be a fairly close range deer rifle, and one of those will, someday, have to be reloaded quickly while you are under great stress.