Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mag-Lite corrosion cleanup suggestions

Boolit Master

Mag-Lite corrosion cleanup suggestions

Needed my mag-lite last night and no light. Dead batteries, corroded so bad they wouldn't drop out. Had to drill a hole in them, insert a big wood screw, and draw them out like a wheel puller. Now what can I use to neutralize the corrosion and clean this thing up??? Any suggestions???

Boolit Master
    Without the batteries in the light, the chemicals are gone. I think the corrosion will stop.

My idea for cleaning is to get a 12 ga bore brush and wrap a wad of steel wool around the brush. Screw the brush onto a a short section of cleaning rod and connect to an electric drill and go to town. Maybe some spray in the tube will help.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Same thing happened to me last year.
    What a pain to get those batteries out!
    I'm sure there are better ways, but flooding with light oil, scraping, brushing and compressed air did the trick for me.
    Takes some elbow grease to be sure.
    I think I used some big wooden dowel wrapped in hardware cloth too.
    The new batteries have been doing well slathered in a sheen of gun grease!
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Use a light acid, such as vinegar, to neutralize the alkaline from the batteries.

Boolit Grand Master

Traces of the chemicals are still there, since they are alkaline you need a harmless acid
    to neutralize it. I'd suggest a citric acid solution (Lemishine, in the grocery near the dishwasher
    stuff) with warm water and change it a couple times. Scrub really good.

Citric acid is harmless to you - you could drink it - but it will react with the traces of
    battery contents to neutralize it and clean up the metal.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Another option is coke.

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    Needed my mag-lite last night and no light. Dead batteries, corroded so bad they wouldn't drop out. Had to drill a hole in them, insert a big wood screw, and draw them out like a wheel puller. Now what can I use to neutralize the corrosion and clean this thing up??? Any suggestions???
    Throw away the mag light. They are junk. I got a 15$ led light from tractor supply. Have put batteries in it the 6 months I have it and I use it almost daily.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Throw away the mag light. They are junk. I got a 15$ led light from tractor supply. Have put batteries in it the 6 months I have it and I use it almost daily.
    IMHO they should coat the insides with some sort of plastic so that they cannot corrode...one can get smaller LED flashlights that cost $7~15 that are brighter and handier...

I have some mag lites too, and they are old. Nowdays you can get more light out of two AA batteries.

http://www.coleman.com/product/ct20/...9#.U5DYiWIo73g
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Buddy
    LED - is the way to go. I bought a 3 pack from Costco - LED - 3 AAA - 250 Lumens. Better than any mag-lite. less than $20 for the three.

BTW: I even bought a 2 cell Mag-lite @ Costco - $22.... still better then the old ones.

Mag-lite - best light for stomping things.....

Geoff in Oregon

Boolit Master
    I've got several, several, Mag-Lites here. Of course I change out the batteries in them every 6 months, just like the smoke detectors. When your house burns down, don't whine about the battery corrosion in your smoke detector. And yes, late last summer my house almost burned down. Fresh batteries saved my heinie!
    And yes before I learned that lesson, I corroded a Mag-Lite, and 2-3 sooper dooper el-cheapos due to battery corrosion.
    And yes, I got a lot of battery powered stuff, except for the couple flashlights, all unloaded right now, I don't need a right now laser bore sighter. But when I do, I can pop in a couple batteries and go. Not go : "Oh K**P!!!"
    Discipline. Keep your powder dry. Keep your boots shined. Keep your batteries fresh.
    It works for me, now.....................
    P.S. Google LED MagLite bulbs. You can upgrade most any model you have. But if you got no discipline, the batteries will still corrode.....
    P.P.S. Beware of extra speshul "Duracell" battery deals. They sure do say, "DuraCell", and they also sure do say in small print.... ROC Made in China. ........ Just sayin......
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master
    it is not the mag lite that is the problem. it is the batteries that are the problem. the batteries leak... plain and simple. keep em fresh and out of the heat and they will be fine.

Boolit Master
    These days you can get a very bright LED flashlight cheaper than the cost of premium batteries if you look around. Use them and pitch them. I've seen LED flashlights for $1 that are brighter than a maglight.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought an LED conversion for my Mini-Maglite and it is very bright. Also came with a push button switch for the bottom of the light. I stay away from Ray O Vac batteries as the leak in a very short time. The Duracells seem to be the least leaky, but will leak if left to go dead sometimes.

Boolit Master
    ive fixed a few maglights. best was yo remove the corrosion without lots of scrubbing is muratic acid. its loke $6 1/2gal. pour the acid in the light and let it sit for about 10 mins. pour out rinse with hot water. dry thoroughly.

Moderator Emeritus

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Wiljen-Lights

Closed now but you can pay 15 times as much and not get as good a light as a Wiljen. My wife works at a cave and every other guide is in awe. I use zoomies for everything.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Baking Soda will clean,and neutralize any acid residue left,also use a wire brush,"been there,done that"!
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Boolit Master
    I've used alcohol on long q-tips for years to clean corroded battery stuff- works fine. I do agree with the Costco 250 lumen 3-pack idea tho.
    Loren

Boolit Buddy

Don't you know, batteries never leak in the $2 flashlights!

I will second the Mag Lites are nice and I do like the ability flood to beam.

The temps do it. I thought that it was Eveready but Duracell got me once too. (Two D cell lights) The Eveready light went back to MagLite but the shipping was about the same as a new light. I then checked my others and found the Duracell that is salvageable. I planned to scrape it all out.

I have a Rayovac lantern with a 6V Rayovac lantern battery that still works after 25 years!

I have since gone over to LED head lights. Nice having both hands free is great.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

I have 4 mag lights already I don't need all of you telling me how much stuff I now own. I have had these since before led's were available, these make great under the car seat lights, pretty good clubs too!
    Last edited by robertbank; 06-12-2014 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Maybe profanity. Computer thinks so. You can do better this is a family forum.