Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 444 Marlin as 410 brass

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar

444 Marlin as 410 brass

As I recall, you can use 444 Marlin and 303 British brass for 410 shotgun brass. Is this correct? Any info would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    Everett

Boolit Grand Master
    Seems the case.........

See link below :

http://www.endtimesreport.com/410reloading.html

Boolit Master
    We use 303 cause we have them!!! Annealing helps the "fireform" process!! MV

Boolit Buddy
    i have used 444 marlin and 303 brass 303 rims are a little too thick for a few of my guns but the 444 works in all of them , i have had to fire form some 303 cases 2-3 times to get them blown all the way out , The only gun i use 303 cases in now is a converted british smle with the short 2 inch chamber it wont chamber 444 cases so i fireformed 303 cases in it

i use fiber wads mostly , plastic wads are a little loose in 444 cases but they do work i use cardboard over shot wads cut using a sharpened 44 mag case and a drop of elmers glue for buck shot/triple ball loads i crimp a 44 cal gas check in the case mouth

so far i havent had to size any of my cases and some have been loaded 20+ times

Boolit Master
    I annealed to avoid the multiple fireform steps... helped a small bit. I also have not resized any. Currently using some shortened plastic wads, w/ an over-shot card, and a heavy roll crimp to hold er all together... Had plans for a small-ring mauser 410... but haven't found an inexpensive barrel yet!!! Hint, hint!!! MV

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Thanks for the confirmation. I have been given 100 cases of 444 marlin. It was a nice gift but I don't have a 444. I do have several 410s and this way I don't have to keep looking for empty plastic hulls. I cant get much life out of plastic, I dont think I will be wearing out the brass casings anytime soon.

Regards,
    Everett

Boolit Man
    I have been using 444 cases anealed and expanded/blown out to .45 Extralong Colt size for a while in my NEF Survivor .410/.45 Long Colt. It has just enough length for a 405 grain 45/70 boolit (sized down to .452) to enter the rifled portion of the barrel eliminating the horrible blowby with the much shorter boolit-case combo.

Pressure and velocity is kept down to sane levels (slow powder and 1000 fps) to keep from splitting the weak shotgun action. The expansion process is slow and has produced a few split cases in the process.

Paul

Boolit Master
    Depends on the gun. Rim thickness is iffie. Some .410s handle .444 Marlin cases just fine, and some need the rim thinned a mite. I was using a Savage insert in a 20 gauge barrel without problem.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.