Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lubrisizer - unofficial poll

Boolit Master
    I have never used a lubrisizer as i have been casting for about 3 months. i have been using 45-45-10 for the few i have loaded so far. i have been looking at the rcbs and older lyman 45 for a while to get a really good deal but usually they pop up when the bills are due. sizers i would need to buy are .452 and .358. .452 For now because that's my only mold for now.

Boolit Buddy
    Been looking at the rcbs and lyman both seem good. Tumble lubing with 45 45 10 seems to work in 9mm and 40sw so far.

Boolit Master

Does this thread give you any ideas?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ies&highlight=

Boolit Master

I would say most of us started out the same way. I tumble lubed for many years and never had any issues regardless if they were tumble lube boolits or not. Heck, I didn't even size them when I was only loading 357 & 44. I then purchased the Lyman 450. I love reloading but I hate lubing. Once I started PC'ing I didn't turn back. If it weren't for .223 I probably wouldn't use traditional lube any longer.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    I am still of the belief that nose-first is the way to go for accuracy, especially for rifle bullets, but I have no evidence to base that on.

Like others said, if money were no object, I'd own a Star.
    There is no nose-first option with the Lyman or RCBS. It is also my understanding that the Lyman and RCBS are more messy than usual if you use a bevel base boolit.
    I use the Star. My Lyman is only the backup plan.
    I believe base first gives more accurate boolits. For base first to work well, the nose punch must be a good fit.
    For accuracy, a little damage to the nose of the boolit is not a serious problem for most bullets.
    If you are using a jacketed bullet with the nylon tip and damage the tip don't expect any accuracy at all.
    If you damage the base of any bullet don't expect any accuracy at all.
    If you use a Star and don't have a top punch which fits correctly, then a nose first die is a good option to allow you to size and lube them.
    I believe some bullet designs are inherently inaccurate and I refuse to cast any more of them or purchase any more moulds in that style. Experiments with accuracy in them have been inconclusive on why they are inaccurate. No defects were found with weighing, visually inspecting, measuring with a micrometer for roundness, or any other inspection technique which was tried. The boolits were truncated cone design 9MM boolits. Most would shoot straight, but some were wild flyers and when fired at longer ranges were clearly tumbling.

It looks like Brass is giving away a lubesizer.... Hmm....
    Mickey Mouse School of Combat Graduate

I've seen a few Lymans here and there. Never owned or used one!! Just one of those "extras" that is out of my budget! They make a sizer in .442 ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    It looks like Brass is giving away a lubesizer.... Hmm....
    Hmm....

Yes.

More details in a week or two!

Like my buddy George says, "I have a few good leads!"

Boolit Grand Master

I never bothered w/ pan lubing. I just saw the mess and wasted time so I started w/ tumble lubing and Lee push through sizers. I still use them for something like a hollowbase wadcutter because of the speed and because of the following. I eventually upgraded to a RCBS LAM1. I currently have two of them and they are set up for different lubes. But they have one major issue. They will fill the hollow base of a wadcutter w/ lube. I could flip them around but you have to run them deep and to much of a chance for skirt damage. I recently purchased a Star w/ all the options. The plan is to semiautomate it w/ air so I don't have to pull the handle anymore. The LAMs destroy my elbows for some reason. Fortunately life, in the form of a newborn son, has gotten in the way of the automation plans so I'm still pulling the handle on the LAMs when I have a few spare minutes. Well that's my plan as I currently have no free time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I never bothered w/ pan lubing. I just saw the mess and wasted time so I started w/ tumble lubing and Lee push through sizers. I still use them for something like a hollowbase wadcutter because of the speed and because of the following. I eventually upgraded to a RCBS LAM1. I currently have two of them and they are set up for different lubes. But they have one major issue. They will fill the hollow base of a wadcutter w/ lube. I could flip them around but you have to run them deep and to much of a chance for skirt damage. I recently purchased a Star w/ all the options. The plan is to semiautomate it w/ air so I don't have to pull the handle anymore. The LAMs destroy my elbows for some reason. Fortunately life, in the form of a newborn son, has gotten in the way of the automation plans so I'm still pulling the handle on the LAMs when I have a few spare minutes. Well that's my plan as I currently have no free time.
    I tend to believe that "cranking the handle" with air or hydraulics can be dangerous.

So:
    1. Get an air cylinder to put constant pressure on your lube. It doesn't "use" air, so once it is pressurized it will stay pressurized until the lube stick runs out.
    2. Get a roller handle! That "file handle" is hard on your hand!
    3. Use an adjustable heater for your lube. I heat hot lube or cold lube because it takes less force to lube your boolits!

Boolit Grand Master

Many things are dangerous. I work on industrial steam boilers, which are bombs, everyday. Using pneumatics to run a star is simple so I'm not worried in the least.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a fairly new caster. Have been using 45-45-10 so far, it works, hand guns only so far. I will getting a lube sizer some day, probably RCBS. A Star would be the berrys, but will probably be outta my price range. Since the tumble lube is working so far, will probably buy more molds before I get a lube sizer.

Boolit Master

I'm old school. I've been running a lyman 45 for years. My big breakthrough was when I started using a heater. For me if I let it warm for a half hour before I start lubing I can go through a hefty
    pile of boolits in an evening. A while back I found a spair 45 for short money so I decided to pick up for "just in case". Last week I found a 450 for even shorter money so I added it to the pile. I would like to pick up an extra heater and then I'd leave one set for 358 since I shoot 75% of that diameter then swap the other between the 44 and 45. Btw I've never tried pan lubing.
    jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    Hmm....

Yes.

More details in a week or two!

Like my buddy George says, "I have a few good leads!"
    Isn't anyone paying attention?
    I thought Baryngyl would for sure!

Boolit Master

I think George is up to something again, better keep an eye out for him.

I been watching this thread as people post more to it.

BrassMagnet, I saw your post about an update in a week or 2, was waiting for it to see what you had to say. I just went and read the thread again that you posted the link to, looks like you were the winner and are going to do your special event (whatever exactly it ends up being).

Michael Grace
    +1 on PIF's

Boolit Master
    The Magnet works in mysterious ways........but the outcome is usually good!!

Banned

There is no mystery, like the confederate General Forrest, he gets there firstist with the mostest.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rmatchell View Post
    I think George is up to something again, better keep an eye out for him.

I think George beat me to it. The sizer is gone. I can't find it anywhere. I might be missing more, too. Likely sizing dies and top punches.

Boolit Master

Look like we better set some traps again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	108370
    Last edited by rmatchell; 06-20-2014 at 06:39 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast