Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Winchester 94, .30-30, 311041,2400 load

Boolit Buddy

Winchester 94, .30-30, 311041,2400 load

I'm trying to develop a load for my Model 94 using the 311041 boolit and 2400 powder. I loaded the "200 yard load" of 16gr of 2400, which seemed very light, plus the primers started backing out. My plan is to increase the powder charge in 1/2gr increments, i.e. 16.5, 17.0, 17.5, and 18.0 and stop increasing the charge when the primers stop backing out. The maximum load with this powder is 19.0gr, according to the Lyman 4th Edition Cast Bullet Handbook.

I am using Federal brass and my 16gr load had Winchester primers. I have enough Federal 210 primers to do this project, hoping they are a better (tighter) fit in the primer pockets. I also have WIN748 powder but the Lyman load table says they used CCI primers, which I don't have. The "accuracy" load uses IMR 4198, but I don't have that either.

I'm curious if anybody has gone through the same development process. I'm hoping to find a combination that is below the hot end of the powder range.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm happy with the 16 gr load, myself. I'll be punching out the primer later anyway, doesn't bother me it it gets a head start.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Seems to me that I use 18.0 with that bullet in a savage and a Winchester. Works!!

I got better accuracy using 16.5 gr of 4227 with that boolit than I did with 2400. Of course, you may not have 4227. Perhaps if you told us what powders and primers you have to work with, we can be of more help to you.

Boolit Master
    16 gr to 16.5 gr of 2400 is where I am at. Any more than that and my groups started to open up.
    I use the 150gr LEE 30-30 bullet and a 160 gr designed for the 7.62x39. That one shoots the best.
    4227 works good too, but I save that for my 308 and my 7mm-08. Both just loves the stuff.

Boolit Master

I use 17 grains of 2400 and it is accurate for me.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.