RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bull Plate Lube

I tried the Bullshop stuff and I must have used to much as it migrated into the cavities and then I had to stop production to clean them out. I tried it a second time and same result. So with a qtip you just lightly touch the bottom of the sprue plate and the top of the block? Do you let it sit or keep casting? When I did this it just went into the cavities. I finally gave up and I use it as a bullet lube but I would like to give it another shot to see if I can get it to work.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
    I tried the Bullshop stuff and I must have used to much as it migrated into the cavities and then I had to stop production to clean them out. I tried it a second time and same result. So with a qtip you just lightly touch the bottom of the sprue plate and the top of the block? Do you let it sit or keep casting? When I did this it just went into the cavities. I finally gave up and I use it as a bullet lube but I would like to give it another shot to see if I can get it to work.

If you read the instructions, you will see you are supposed to have bullets in the mold, to prevent lubing the cavities.

Hunter... The stuff is really as good as others say. As you have noticed it is quite thin and runs very easy. That is why you don't get the Q-Tip sopping wet and have bullets in the cavities when you use it. Yep, as Waksupi said...it is all in the instructions.

Well that makes sense, I didnt get instructions with my order and I just read on the site how to use it but I must have missed the leave the bullets in the cavities bit.

Boolit Master
    A helpful hint, if you get the aplicator (q-tip) too wet with bull plate just dip it in the melt for a second or two. The excess will spread over the melt and the adjusted amount in the aplicator will be better adjusted to the needed ammount. If you have the type with plastic shaft beware they will mely if submerged too long. The paper type are best for this. Most of you have likely noticed that the old well used q-tip with just a hint of blue works about perfectly and does not need redipping for the life of the q-tip. Thats kinda what your doing when you dip it in the melt, making a pre-used one of a new one.
    Hunter so sorry about the no instruction thingy. I will blame it on Tina. It may help you to know that I will use it against her all day today.
    Blessings
    BIC/BS

Bullshop: Don't do that buddy, the next thing that you screw up your great grandchildren will still be hearing about it. Women are funny that way, if they make a mistake then a mention of it is fine, twice you are pushing it. If men screw up it can and will be used against you for the duration of your life, probably be brought up again at the judgment day for all eternity.

Next time I am casting I will give it another go, it sure works great as bullet lube I can attest to that.

Exclamation

Dan, You may want to keep poet Ogden Nash's words in mind before you "blame" Tina:

To keep your marriage brimming, With love in the loving cup, Whenever you're wrong, admit it; Whenever you're right, shut up” (from "Advice to Husbands")

Boolit Buddy
    Now back living in the Uk after 10 glorious years living in France

Money is on it's way

Hi to everybody at the Bull Shop,

Tina, I got your e-mail and with your carrage costs to me here in France....I have just this minute sent the correct amount for two bottles and postage as per your quote.

Please pack them well as they are going to have travel a long...(and I'm sure, bumpy road!)...to get here.

Maybe of interest to other casters.....currently I am using high melting point copper grease sold at auto shop as grease for use around disc brake locating pins and exhaust manifold nuts.....seems to work OK but you do need to re-lube fairly frequently during a session....

.....I use Lee alloy moulds as like a lot of you I'm sure, I am shooting on a tight budget and there is always too much month left at the end of the money!.....I am hoping that the Bull Shop wonder juice will omprove my casting quality/rate/fun and extend the working life of my moulds by preventing any spue plate galling on top of the moulds.

Safe shooting

Limey

Limey
    .......never mind Quigley's gun....I just wish I had his eyesight!!!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    Maybe of interest to other casters.....currently I am using high melting point copper grease sold at auto shop as grease for use around disc brake locating pins and exhaust manifold nuts.....seems to work OK but you do need to re-lube fairly frequently during a session
    Limey
    I previously used a similar substance, grey Anti-sieze, as a mold lube. You will like BullPlate better. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I am a novice but I bought three bottles and gave two of them to friends. Then will using mine I spilled it all over the bench. I still have enough, after saving what I could, to last me a long while. It works as advertised and made me look like a pro, well how about AAA.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range, 2009 Phil's Avatar
    Hi Limey,

Rest assured there is no BS about Bullshop sprue plate lube, or making bullet lube with it. You absolutely must follow the directions on using it but it makes casting good bullets easy and eliminates sprue plate/mold block galling. Just great stuff. Bullet bases come out nice and square also. I just can't say enough good about it.

Cheers,

Phil

what is this stuff your talking about? Speed Green? I'm new to the bussiness and am always looking to better my stuff

Speed Green is a great bullet lube made with Bullshop Sprue Plate Lube and beeswax. Try it, you'll like it.

Cheers,

Phil

Boolit Master
    OH one more thing I wanted to mention in my last post but forgot again. For anybody doing any swaging bull plate is all we use for lube for all phases of swaging. For me it works better than the corbin swage lube. Its less tacky and does not dry to a gluey hard goop like the corbin stuff.
    BIC/BS

Moderator Emeritus
    Dan, have you got round to drinking the stuff yet.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    Dan, have you got round to drinking the stuff yet.
    I wondered when that was coming. lol.

Swamprat

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    It does eliminate lead smearing, results in a cleaner cut, and works well to make speed green lube, so in balance I'm a happy camper, but it doesn't do much to make operation of the sprue perceptably smoother on any of my molds. 9/10 stars.

Boolit Master
    dromia
    Only in sampling while cooking up new batches, but never in excess to the point of drunkeness, promis.
    BIC/BS

Try it on a tossed salad, you'll like it, a little bleu cheese, some of those little crackers, yum, yum.

(:>)

Cheers,

Phil

Well I thought I would give Bull Plate another try now that I know how to use it and all I can say is holy cow it works good. On my 6 cavity lee I pre heated the mold as usual and cast about 5 times to get it up to the proper temp. Then with a q tip I lightly ran it on top of the mold in a line down the length about 1/2 way between the bullets and the edge of the mold, then flipped it over and put a little on the sprue plate cutter. I dropped the bullets out of the mold and refilled and when I cut the sprue this time I felt a slightly less amount of force needed to cut. As I continued to work it got easier and easier and after about 20 molds full I re-applied some more and continued to cast. I must say I have never had bullets look this good, nice even cut on the sprue and the speed I could attain must be part of the temp of the mold so high. I didn't have any frosted bullets which is a norm for me which is also a nice bonus. There is one major problem now that I have to deal with and that is I only have a 10 pound pot and I had that sucker drained just as I was really getting into it.lol

So how often do you keep re-applying the bull plate lube on the mold. I did it about every 15-20 fills, is that about right or do I need to adjust the frequency?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast